Remove one OS from duel booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

photon

Broken In
:shock: :roll: :oops: :?:

My compu has 4 partitions. 98 on C ,D,E,F.
Afterwords i have installed XP on D.
I want to remove 98 from C. What are the basic files on C are requered for XP? How they can be put on D.? :?: :?: :?: :?:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Nothing is reqd since u installed on D:\ . All u have to do is to backup the data needful from C:\ like documents, music if any and format the C:\. Then reboot and if the option still shows up, u can do 2 things

1. use fixbr from recovery console of winxp cd
2. edit the boot.ini file manually

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
DO NOT format C:\!!!! You will not be able to boot at all! You can edit the boot.ini file (in C:\ which is a hidden and system file..) and remove the entry "C:\="Microsoft Windows"

kikass

Broken In
yeah... do not format c: drive... as kalpik above has written, remove the entry from c:\boot.ini... then boot into xp and manually delete the unwanted data from c: drive... like windows folder and program files....

mediator

Technomancer
Yea, just delete everything from c: manually except the boot.ini and edit boot.ini to remove 98 entry!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
There r two ways!

1.) Delete all files\folders from C: Drive except following files:

boot.ini
ntldr
ntdetect.com

And then edit boot.ini file in notepad and delete the 98 entry!

2.) Format the C: drive and then boot using XP setup CD and give following commands in Recovery console:

fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Vishal Gupta said:
There r two ways!

1.) Delete all files\folders from C: Drive except following files:

boot.ini
ntldr
ntdetect.com

And then edit boot.ini file in notepad and delete the 98 entry!

2.) Format the C: drive and then boot using XP setup CD and give following commands in Recovery console:

fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

good suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom