Remove GRUB Boot Loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtf

Right off the assembly line
Hello Guys, I recently received free Ubuntu CDs from the source mentioned in the other thread on DI9IT. I tried my hands at Ubuntu and was able to install it sucessfully.

Now, I wanted my 8 GB back which I had allotted to Linux cuz I was bored of it and it wasn't of much use to me. Therefore I booted my comp with the Ubuntu installation disk and deleted the Linux Partition.

I booted my comp again and I got GRUB boot load error. This was propbably because of inproper deletion of Ubuntu.

Can anyone tell me how do I uninstall Ubuntu properly and remove the GRUB boot loader. I want my computer to be exactly in the same way it was before installing Linux :)

tuxfan

Technomancer
fdisk /mbr will remove GRUB.

Why don't you search the forum for complete and instant answer? This has been answered a few times earlier. At least once by me.

OP
W

wtf

Hey Tuxfan .. i searched the forum thoroughly with string "GRUB" but couldn't find anything. Can you please tell me what is Fdisk /mbr and how do I use it. I don't mind that 8 gb space taken by Linux. All I want is the Grub boot screen to be removed. Can you please help me :)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Boot from Win 98 bootable CD, and at command prompt type:

fdisk /mbr

Now restart ur comp. The problem will be solved.

OP
W

wtf

Well, I do not have Win 98 bootable CD as of now... I am on Windows XP Home Edition and do have its CD. Any other help?

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hey, I too had this problem.. I don't remember how exactly I solved it but it was something like this:
-------------------------------
>> I wish to uninstall UBUNTU and I too deleted the partition alloted for UBUNTU in WIN XP Home. Later, when I restarted my comp, it showed the error you are going through. So, I simply inserted my WIN XP HOME CD and thought of conducting a reinstallatation. So, I simply did not choose anything and selected perhaps, Boot from CD. After, it completed copying of files, the computer restarted and it showed two Win XP home edition (the xp which i use was on D: )
So, I choose the one below and my own xp opened. Then, I went to C: and deleted all the folders created like "Program Files", "Windows", "Documents & Settings" and removed the Win XP of C: from the boot.ini file and i was done.
---------------------
However, a lot of time and disk space was wasted so, i formatted my hard drive and had a fresh install of WIN XP..
My recommendation: Get a Win XP bootable CD or floppy from a friend and boot from it and type fdisk /mbr..
If however, you don't find anything, you can ask here for contents to be downloaded from the net to make a bootable floppy OR[/]b] Follow the above procedure..
Best of Luck

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Also u said u searched but then wats this ?

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26335

It was on the 1st page man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom