Remove Floppy Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech&ME

Banned
Guys, you all know that Floppy Drive icon is visible in Windows XP in the My Computer folder.

I donot have any Floppy Drive in my computer physically and would like to remove the Floppy Drive Icon from the My computer folder.

Please help me.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
open regedit and nevigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a new DWORD value, NoViewOnDrive and set its value 3. :D

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
Vishal Gupta said:
open regedit and nevigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a new DWORD value, NoViewOnDrive and set its value 3. :D

How to enable it ? Does deleting this key enable it back.

And also does the value 3 stand for Floppy Drive only or can it represent my other Removeable Drives , like the CD-Rom, DVD-RW

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Yes! If u delete the key, it'll enable it again.

It works as following:

Code:
3 -> To hide A: and B: drives
4 -> To hide C: drive
7 -> To hide A:, B: and C: drives
8 -> To hide D: drive
f -> To hide A:, B:, C: and D: drives
3ffffff -> To hide all drives
0 -> To show all drives (same as deleting the key)

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
Re: Bios

digitizen said:
The best option to do this is disable 3 1/2 inch floppy drive option in your BIOS .

No this does not work. I had disabled it in the BIOS but it still showed up in the My Document folders .

I have used TweakUI for XP to disable it. But @Vishal Gupta answer will also work because tweakUI did the same thing.

choudang

Padawan
vishal, i have two HDD... C/D/E/F/G---1 and H/I -- 2nd. in my computer, the H drive takes the cd-drive icon. how do i change it to normal HDD drive.

and i want to hide my H drive. i can do it from tweak UI, but it is accessed by everyone. i like to do it from reg. how to

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
There r actually 2 keys:

NoViewOnDrive
NoDrives

1st one NoViewOnDrive protects drives, so that no1 can access them.
2nd one NoDrives only hides them and we can access them by RUN dialog box, address bar, etc.

These two keys use a 32-bit bitmask to define local and network drive access for each logical drive in the computer. The lower 26 bits of the 32-bit word correspond to drive letters A through Z. Drives are visible when set to 0 and hidden when set to 1.

If your not happy working in Hex, add these decimal numbers to hide the drive(s):

A: 1, B: 2, C: 4, D: 8, E: 16, F: 32, G: 64, H: 128, I: 256, J: 512, K: 1024, L: 2048, M: 4096, N: 8192, O: 16384, P: 32768, Q: 65536, R: 131072, S: 262144, T: 524288, U: 1048576, V: 2097152, W: 4194304, X: 8388608, Y: 16777216, Z: 33554432, ALL: 67108863

For example to hide drive A and drive D, you would add 1 (A) + 8 (D) which means the value should be set to "9".

To disable all the drives set the value to "67108863".

choudang

Padawan
i have applied this tweak already.. strange that it hides the total HDD [second HDD] not a particular drive

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
No need to mess with the registry. There is a much easier way.

Click Start > Run
Type compmgmt.msc
Choose Disk Management in the left column.
Right click on the drive of your choice and choose 'Change drive Letter and Paths'.
Choose the drive letter you want.

If you want your HDD to become H drive (which your CD drive currently is), you have to first assign the CD drive another letter. Make the CD drive Z drive or something temporarily. Then make your second HDD as H drive. Then change your CD drive to whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom