reinstalling original xp pro machine with wpa.dbl method issue... plssssssss help

Status
Not open for further replies.

taken

Journeyman
hi,

as per the explaination on the net, i did exactly the same. the steps are as follows.

1. Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a floppy.
2. Reinstall Windows XP.
3. Boot to a DOS disk if you are using FAT, or to the Recovery Console if using NTFS.
4. Copy the file from the first step above back to c:\windows\system32.

well, reg recovery console, i did as i got instruction on net.
did put the CD in startup and when the CD boots, after some time it displays a message having 3 options and recovery console being one among them. on selecting it, it goes to DOS mode.

here come the issue.

i made a back up of wpa.dbl in floppy before reinstallation (14 KB) size. here, i copied the file which was now 5 KB only. well, when viewed, it showes the 14 KB size. then exit was done which reboots the computer.

now when i see it by explorer, the file size returns back to 5 KB though i had changed it. i did this step for 3-4 times but everytime the same thing happens.

as per my system, its original PCS brand make with a XP pro sticker on the cabinet. well, upon recovery i need to enter the key again in middle of installation which i gave the same as in sticker.

so, what is the issue??? why is wpa.dbl being re changed to its orignal size again and again. pls suggest as i am really annoyed. being a licenced customer, i feel that this is not nice.

lastly, i did the same with safe mode also, but this too in vain. al the time, it comes back to its original size.

any idea pls, Gurus...

ken

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Why did you want to copy wpa.dbl file. If you resinstalled windows whatever you have done is exactly right. Possibly , in floppy, the file might have got corrupted. But there is no issue. Just go online and iwth your license, it is easy to activate your windows again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom