i have win 98 on C:\,win xp on D:\,40 gb hardisk,if i format C:\
(I want to have only xp)
will it cause any boot problems like the os choice menu
please also explain whole method of reinstalling the os(after

formatting)

digitizen

Journeyman
hmm
yes it is possible to only take format c : . you can quick format your drive as usual from your windows xp . this will erase all the windows 98 file but still the windows 98 option will be in your boot options . to remove this , click start menu and click run ( in windows xp ) enter msconfig and press ok . you will be presented with a screen with lot of menu's in the top select boot.ini . once inside the boot menu click "check all boot paths " now ur unvalid win 98 option will be truncated .

good bye have a nice day

hansraj

In the zone
dude.... formatin the c drive will remove the boot.ini as far as i think and u should be able to solve u r prob by

1) Insert your XP CD and boot from it.
2) You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a choice of installing or repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.(if u dont get repair option then the rest of the steps are useless)
You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter 1. There is usually only
one installation.
3) You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is not the same as the password for an Admin level account. It must be the Administrator account password).
4) At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to confirm. Do so.
5) When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the machine will reboot.
Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.

though i havent tried it on my own but its just my guess that this should work...

or else just get the xp intallation cd and just sit down with about 45-60 mins in hand and its not a great job to do a fresh new xp installation

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
What hansraj said, is absolutely Correct!

If u format C: drive, it'll remove the boot loader.

So u'll not able to start windows XP!

What u hv to do, is Format C: drive.
Then Boot using indows XP Setup CD.
Enter into Recovery Console.
Type:

fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

then restart ur comp!

It should solve ur problem!!!

PS: If u don't want to do this, then there is a easier way also!

Simply boot using Windows XP CD and select the Repair Windows option. It'll take time as it takes while installing fresh windows. And when it'll finish, u'll get bootloader back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom