Reinstall XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad_den

Padawan
Hi all,
I wanted to reinstall my win XP pro after I had a series of problems earlier. So I used the XP Pro CD and followed the procedures for a clean reinstall. The problem is, when I try to erase the existing partition C and format and reinstall there, it says that C cannot be erased.. So I end up doing a repair instead and now I have two copies of XP installed in C. :( How do I format C completely and reinstall XP.. Any ideas...???

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
use xp cd. are us trying to format from within the GUI?
if so...
put the cd inside. restart
boot from the cd.
then select the option to reinstall xp.
then format C:/ and install xp there.

OP
prasad_den

prasad_den

Padawan
saurabh.sauron said:
use xp cd. are us trying to format from within the GUI?
if so...
put the cd inside. restart
boot from the cd.
then select the option to reinstall xp.
then format C:/ and install xp there.
I am using XP CD.. I'm not able to boot with it... It says press any key to boot, then says checking your hardware config... It gets stuck at this point.. I have to reset again..

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
prasad_den said:
I am using XP CD.. I'm not able to boot with it... It says press any key to boot, then says checking your hardware config... It gets stuck at this point.. I have to reset again..
Seems pirated CD to me.
BTW, how did u manage to get two copies on the same partition? I suggest getting a valid(or working ;) ) windows boot CD and using it for installation.

OP
prasad_den

prasad_den

Padawan
MysticHalo said:
Seems pirated CD to me.
BTW, how did u manage to get two copies on the same partition? I suggest getting a valid(or working ;) ) windows boot CD and using it for installation.

I'm in fact using an original one. We bought an original one and my bro n me are using the same one.

digiFriend

In the zone
if you are using FAT32 file system, make bootable floppy or cd from friend computers from win98 or winME, then use format command in dos.
or go for
SEAGATE: DiscWizard Starter Edition (DWSE)
seagate boot image for hard Disc format and utilities.
will make bootable disk which will help in harddisk format and has harddisk utilities.

abracadabra

Journeyman
first get hold of a bootable WINXP CD or a bootable floppy crated preferably in WIN98. then choose to boot from Floppy as your first option and CD Drive as your second option in the BIOS. Now you will be able to format and reinstall a fresh copy.

champ_rock

champ_rock
i think there is no problem wiht the cd... i think it is something related to the hardware only...... no need for all those floppyies as u can boot from ur cd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom