Registry Editor disabled...help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

linardni

Journeyman
Recently a strange problem is occuring in my PC running Win-XP & Office 2003.Whenever I am double clicking some folder top open it, the Folder Options disappears from under Tools Menu. The registry editor is disabled. Moreover the system restarts when I am trying to install any new program. Is any virus the culprit? What to do in this case?

shovik

Banned
may be it is infected with a virus. Try to scan your hard drive with a good anti-virus with updated definitions and look out for something as WORM_SWEN.A.

If some kind of the above mentioned file is detected then do the following:
Terminating the Malware Program.

This procedure terminates the running malware process from memory. You will need the name(s) of the file(s) detected earlier.
1. Open Windows Task Manager.
On Windows NT/2000/XP systems, press
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, then click the Processes tab.
2. In the list of running programs*, locate the malware file or files detected earlier.
3. Select one of the detected files, then press either the End Task or the End Process button, depending on the version of Windows on your system.
4. Do the same for all detected malware files in the list of running processes.
5. To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.
6. Close Task Manager.
Delete any malware found.

For Windows NT/2000/XP::
1. Choose Tools>Folder Options in the drop-down menu. Then, select the File Types tab.
2. Under Registered file types list box, select Registration Entries and click the Change button.
3. An Open With window will appear. Choose Registry Editor from the list and click Ok.
(Note: If Registry Editor is not in the list, click the Other button and manually look for REGEDIT.EXE which can be usually found under C:\Windows or C:\Winnt folders, select it and click Open>Ok)
4. Click>Apply>Ok.

And now Enabling Registry Editing and Addressing Registry Shell Spawning:
1. Type the following commands in a text file and save them as RESTORE.REG:

REGEDIT4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom