Registring a new domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SE><IE

Ok guys, I managed to get some shared space from someone (he uses only 25 MB out of 1 GB :D )
Now, I need a domain. Went to godaddy.com and they are offering COM at 6.99$/yr along with 25 cents /year for ICANN fee. Can anyone please tell me the steps to follow to register a domain. I got these responses from a buddy in YIM:
its tag library
tag library descriptor
so if u have tld files in ur site they will charge extra on top of tht
tht will depend no of reference of ur domain in ur tag library descriptor
25 for each domain reference

What is the reference stuff now? Can anyone who already has a site explain the steps/formalities involved.

Was going to buy today, postponed till tomorrow.

PS: If you don't know then please don't paste crap. :)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. Contact Ashish (tuxfan of this forum). He would definitely be able to help you!

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Yea, contact Ashish !!

Or Just IM me... Buying a domain is fairly simple with no frackus involved. It all depends on how you are gonna pay !

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
why dont u buy a domain name from any Indian company.They give better support,as u can call them and talk directly.
cost of domain name is same....
I can suggest u one site to buy domain name www.aalphanet.com
I have registered two domain name from here.They activate ut domain name as soon as they receive the payment.So,u can have ur site running in abt 3 -4 hrs only.

While buying domain name from here..u only need to know namesever of the hosting company.Nothing else.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Buy Domain from Namecheap.com. If you just searched for it reviews on Web Hosting forums you will know they are one of the best.

Or you buy from me, but i sell little more expensive than them LOL :lol: If you need any kinda of help, just send me a PM.

All i can say in the End - Registering a Domain is as easy as registering a EMAIL ID, but this time some money is involved :D After you register a Domain - you will need Webhosting for your site but your domain will be active in few mins after you register it :)

tuxfan

Technomancer
Buy a domain name from someone who gives you complete control over it! You must have a username and password to manage the domain name and the same should be finally contain your contact details.

Mainly, you should have ability to:
1. know the domain secret / EPP Authorisation code (so that you can apply for transfer)
1. approve transfer to some other domain registrar
2. change DNS so that you can change hosting anytime you want

Without a separate username and password, you will not be able to do these things!

In my opinion, you should pay more attention to this control instead of the price! I can give .com for as low as $3 a year. But the interface sucks and I can't give you any control. Frankly, I don't use that service even for my own domain names! So in a domain name, there are various more important factors than price.

your domain will be active in few mins after you register it
I disagree! It all depends on the TLD of the domain name. If it is a ccTLD like .in then it is available almost immediately, but if it a generic TLD like .com then it takes some more time, mainly due to DNS propogation.

Registering a Domain is as easy as registering a EMAIL ID, but this time some money is involved
:)) Oh yes. It surely is easy. But someone who hasn't done it earlier will take a little time because he will read the information that comes on the screen before clicking. I now register in under 2 mins ;) because I know where to click and what emails will come :p

As for hosting account, you can start using it even before the domain name has been registered!! There are simple ways to use FTP and enter into control panels.

PS:
Thank you kalpik for recommending me :)

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Buy a domain name from someone who gives you complete control over it! You must have a username and password to manage the domain name and the same should be finally contain your contact details.

Mainly, you should have ability to:
1. know the domain secret / EPP Authorisation code (so that you can apply for transfer)
1. approve transfer to some other domain registrar
2. change DNS so that you can change hosting anytime you want

Without a separate username and password, you will not be able to do these things!

In my opinion, you should pay more attention to this control instead of the price! I can give .com for as low as $3 a year. But the interface sucks and I can't give you any control. Frankly, I don't use that service even for my own domain names! So in a domain name, there are various more important factors than price.

Couldnt agree with you more there ;) Thats why i recommanded him Namecheap in the First place

I disagree! It all depends on the TLD of the domain name. If it is a ccTLD like .in then it is available almost immediately, but if it a generic TLD like .com then it takes some more time, mainly due to DNS propogation.

DID you try Registerfly ;) LOL Takes ages. Try Some good Registrars and it will be done in Few Mins HEHE but WHOIS Takes time to show up.

Like this Domain "mclarenmasters.com", someone registered with me...today. It is Registered but WHOIS wont show any info :lol:
*www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=mclarenmasters.com&&cache=off

tuxfan

Technomancer
Apollo said:
I'm a little more wiser after reading your post, Tuxy. :D

:)) cool. So the post served its purpose.

BTW, for people with credit card these direct registrations would work. But people without credit cards have to get it done thru someone like me (or sukhdeepsingh?) :)

OP
S

SE><IE

Thanks for the info Ashish. You recommend getting a domain name from an Indian provider. Can you provide names of some reliable providers. All the different providers look to me like advertising agencies. Perhaps thats because I've not heard name of these and I fear scam.
Also what could be the domain related problems that may pop-up?
:)

ahref

In the zone
There are many thousands Indian provider providing domain names. Maximum of them are resellers of some big companies. You may not have heard the name of many providers because domain selling is not a very big business, and many people generally cater local market.

If you will search you may get someone in your town selling domain name.

The main thing which you should look for is that you should get a control panel and ability to change nameserver.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
SE><IE said:
Thanks for the info Ashish. You recommend getting a domain name from an Indian provider. Can you provide names of some reliable providers. All the different providers look to me like advertising agencies. Perhaps thats because I've not heard name of these and I fear scam.
Also what could be the domain related problems that may pop-up?
:)
Hehe.. you can register from Ashish itself! He is in the domain and hosting business :) I am one of his customers for both a domain and webhosting, and lemme tell you he takes care of everything! You dont even have to lift a finger :) I dont mind paying a few bucks extra if i get quality service..

tuxfan

Technomancer
Hey Kalpik, thanks once again :)

SE><IE, most of the people that provide domain registration services (in India and aborad) are resellers of some registrars. It is not easy to be a registrar and you need a lot of investment to be one. Last time I calculated the costs, you need at least 35 lacs in various fees, etc. to be a registrar. :p

Here's a list of all registrars ;) *www.internic.net/alpha.html

Let me tell you about some domain related problems:
  • You lose your site because you don't control it. The person who controls the domain name can change the DNS. Within 48 hours, the site will start opening a different page and you may also start losing all emails.
  • You are not satisfied with hosting services, but you can't change hosting because you don't control the domain and therefore can't change DNS. Even if that hosting company starts asking for Rs. 100 per MB per year, you will have to pay for it if your site is really important to you.
  • If your site becomes popular and the domain name is capable of fetching a good value, then your service provider may sell it leaving you in a limbo!!

I will not reveal names here. But some days ago, a Digit Forum Member from Chennai had contacted me thru a Moderator here. It was about the website of a celebrity. One company was providing all the services - domain registration, hosting and website maintenance to that celebrity.

Since it was the celeb's official site it was promoted by the celeb and it received good traffic. The celeb did not have any control over the domain name or the website. That company started putting some advertisements on their own. Celeb didn't like but the complete control was with that company so nothing could be done even after lot of communication.

Ultimately the celeb started a new official site with a new domain name. But the main thing is that old site was lost because the celeb had no control over the domain name or hosting account! Additionaly, the old site will have a higher search engine ranking. So lot of traffic would still go there and it will take some time before the new site gets its due!

Another member here also had a problem with a domain name, the service provider was not giving the control. However, I could help by providing some info and the domain name now is with the right owner. Fortunately, in this case, the domain and the site were not lost to a fraudulent service provider! I didn't have to do anything here except for providing the right links. ;)

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
I would too suggest buying a domain frm ashish as i had done a couple of months ago....here are the following reasons:
1)Complete transparency in the transaction.
2)Complete control of domain name
3)Can help you out a bit(or more:) ) if you get some problem regarding the domain.
4)A very nice person...
he might not offer the domain name for cheapest rates but it doesn't matter to pay a little more with the kind of service we get we get from him.
My rating on his services : 9/10
Visit his site www.mailnspace.com for more details or just a PM will do :D

tuxfan

Technomancer
Ah! Thanks Ankur for a postive review :)

BTW, where did that 1 point in rating go? Do let me know ;)

I am working at finishing my site at every available opportunity. But can't do that at the cost of other work :) so it is taking time. But some relevant links are already there so that no one is stuck up for basics.

OP
S

SE><IE

Thanks for the detailed info Ashish. And yeah! Thanks for the tips too.
Actually, it isn't my decision alone, so I can't just go and get domain from Ashish.
Moreover, for him you are just another person. That is he doesn't know you. :(
Hope you don't mind.
:D

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
He never said Buy a Domain from him.....moreever i know people like it more when "we" is added ;) LOL

Last edited:

tuxfan

Technomancer
SE><IE said:
Thanks for the detailed info Ashish. And yeah! Thanks for the tips too.
Actually, it isn't my decision alone, so I can't just go and get domain from Ashish.

You must be extremely careful with the domain names. So go to only that person whom you can trust! If you can't trust me don't come to me. :p

SE><IE said:
Moreover, for him you are just another person. That is he doesn't know you.
Hope you don't mind.

Huh?? What are you trying to say? Every new client is "just another person" :confused: for anyone! The service provider doesn't know the client and vice versa unless they deal together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom