registered a domain. now what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix

hi

i registered a .info domain name. i already have a free hosting account so made a site. so currently i can access the site by typing in the subdomain. eg it is like myname.myhosting.com.

how do i use the new .info domain. like if i go to manage domain should i change the name server there to read myname.myhosting.com?

tuxfan

Technomancer
You have 2 options. Either have the entire site at your own domain. Or use your domain only for forwarding people to existing site.

If you choose to have the entire site at your domain, you again have 2 options. Either take a paid hosting account or go for a free one. There are plenty free ones available that will let you have your site with your domain for free. Take a search here. Many people have posted many links for free hosts. After you decide the site host, you will have to change the DNS servers of your domain.

If you choose to just forward people to your existing site then you may not have to pay anything and your domain registrar may be providing free url forwarding. Just check.

OP
nix

nix

hi

actually, i do have a free hosting account and even my site is up and ready. but...wher will i find DNS setting? in domain management? what should i change the DNS servers to? change them to read my current subdomain? [which is like myname.myhost.com]?

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Check this:

Most free webhosting companies do not support dns hosting. Forum based hosts do support this. So if ur hosting company does not support dns hosting u may have to shift host.

cheetah

In the zone
Where u bought it from ???

Havent they sent the url for changing dns address....

Once u got that...just change the dns address to ns1.dns-diy.com and ns2.dns-diy.com . Then goto dns-diy.com and login with ur website pass\user...

There u can set mail forwarders\sub-domain\domain forwarders etc...

U can also use other sites for that purpose like one is *www.zoneedit.com ....but first u have to point ur website to their dns servers...and that can be changed through registrar's website only...

OP
nix

nix

hi

i bought it from indiatimes....
they just gave me a site to manage it.
managedomain.indiatimes.com
ns1 and ns2..okay will try it and let know

tuxfan

Technomancer
Indiatimes!! :shock: :evil: They are the worst!! Their interface sucks and so does their service.

Still try to find a link to change DNS (Domain Name Servers) after logging in.

G

i am having same problem .. and i dnt understand this domain name forwarding and mx record and all this ? can anyone explain ?

OP
nix

nix

ye

yes yes..you're right...interface is terrible. the page wher i managemysite, it doesnt open in firefox :evil: so have to open the blue E everytime i want to make some changes there.
i bought indiatimes coz they offer COD, and that time yahoo domains costed lil more, but right after i bought this one, their[yahoo] prices came down :x
now i feel i shouldnt have bought it from indiatimes after all. but it's okay...coz problem solved, jus had to change nameserver. took some time to show effect. but it worked.
thanks all!!!

tuxfan

Technomancer
Name Server chage takes about 48 hours to take effect. So its not the problem with Indiatimes :)

What you can do is after some time, transfer your domain to some other registrar like GoDaddy. They are not so expensive and their interface is pretty neat. On transfer you will have to pay for one year and your domain validity will increase by a year. So you don't lose anything. But the thing is you will have to pay by credit card.

Just check if they accept payment via PayPal. If yes, then you can use some friend/relative's card to have some fund in your PayPal account and use it for buying/renewing domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom