Red hat vs SuSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohummisra

Broken In
i'm planning to install one of the above linux distros (from the aug03 and aug04 digit mags). red hat 9 and SuSE 9.1. maybe mandrake 9.1 if yall suggest it.

what i want to know is which is the best choice for me (a complete linux newbie) in terms of ease of use, installation and :)D) uninstallation. i'm leaning towards suse 9.1 as its the latest one (as well as only one CD), what do you think?

thanks.

devianthulk

Broken In
The thinks that u are talking bout
ease of use, installation and uninstallation.
is nothing but what newbies do.
So it doesnt really matter what linux distro u use......
unless ur into Kernel and Shell programming etc etc.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Use a live Linux distro like Slax to see if u r comfortable with Linux (no point risking ur hard disk just to experiment). If u r, then go for SuSE.

EinSTeiN

Broken In
Susue is grt for newbies. I think redhat is for advanced users.
Any way, I'm using ELX linux on my pc. And its one of the easisest to use.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Don't install Red Hat 9, later versions have already come. Red Hat 10 is called Fedora Core 1. Core 2 is out as well.

I have not installed any version other than Red Hat 9 and PCQ Linux 2004 (based on Fedora Core 1). So not qualified to comment on the comparison. But PCQ Linux is really good and I like it. Now I have it installed on 3 machines and it works great!!

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
okay i'll guess i'll go for SuSE 9.1 since its the latest. :p i tried a live cd already....knoppix and was pretty comfortable with it. I just have one question, in case the modem is not detected (which it wasn't with knoppix) because the driver is not there, how do i install it?

i have a linux driver for my modem on hand so that's not a problem. thanks in advance.

khandu

In the zone
I think RH Fedora core 2 or 3 will be good.. u have a hell of a support for it..

i would recommend that... well every1 has their own opinion..

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
thanks i think i'll go for suse because i don't have the net power to download an iso (or multiple ones for that matter). i may be getting a new comp and then i'll see about it.

tuxfan

Technomancer
khandu said:
I think RH Fedora core 2 or 3 will be good.. u have a hell of a support for it..
Very much true. There are books available for Red Hat/Fedora. I haven't seen any so far for Suse :(

sohummisra said:
thanks i think i'll go for suse because i don't have the net power to download an iso (or multiple ones for that matter).
You don't need to download it. Since you are in Mumbai, you can get 3 CDs and come to me, I will copy and give them to you within 30 minutes. Or still better, contact PCQuest from their site and they will send you a copy of March 2004 issue with PCQ Linux 2004 (based on Fedora Core 1). Both the issue and their distro are very good and it will cost you only Rs. 125.

BONZI

Journeyman
With suse installation is easy but after installation it is problematic. I dont know about 9 but with 8 I had a lot problem with hardware detection and software installation. :(

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
I installed RH9 today ..Seems okay ..But it didint recognised my modem ..so cant access internet from it ..Also I feel it is very tough adapting to it ..
Btw ..I played it for some 2 hrs and still cant figure out how to mount my fat32 drives ...

khandu

In the zone
it_waaznt_me said:
I installed RH9 today ..Seems okay ..But it didint recognised my modem ..so cant access internet from it ..Also I feel it is very tough adapting to it ..
Btw ..I played it for some 2 hrs and still cant figure out how to mount my fat32 drives ...

which modem is it ??

try mount -t vfat /dev/hda0 ( the hda number) /mnt/drive

here hda0 should be the hard disk number defined by linux and /mnt/drive should be a valid folder.. u can give anything here.. any path.. ur wish

Moin

Broken In
it_waaznt_me said:
I played it for some 2 hrs and still cant figure out how to mount my fat32 drives ...
Hey it_waaznt_me, what you can do to mount these partitions is that login as the root, go to the / folder and then to /mnt. Here create a folder and name it as "Windows" or something as you like. Then find out the physical address of the fat32 partition you would like to mount which might be somthin like /dev/hda1 if your HD is the primary master and the partition is the first active visible partition(generally C:\ in Windows). You might find all these addresses from the utility "Hardware Browser" easily.
Then to mount it, open the terminal window and type mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/Windows
Remember that this will mount the partition only until your PC is powered ON. To avoid this and automatically mount it on startup, find the file "fstab" in the /etc folder and then add this line to it >> /dev/hda1 /mnt/Windows vfat auto,umask=0 0 0 and save it.
Now you will have the partition mounted automatically whenever you boot into Linux.
And if you want to access this partition from the desktop then right-click on the desktop and create a new hard-disk. In the properties of the link you just created,select the hardware tab. Select the appropriate mount point from the drop-down combo and click OK. You are done... :wink:

khandu

In the zone
u can get driver for it @ *www.linuxant.com/

i have used that modem be4.. easy to install.. get the driver there.

khandu

In the zone
but thats a free version of the driver.. max speed will be 14.4 kbps.. not worth it.. the site says to buy the full version..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom