Red hat Or Fedora...need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander_H

Broken In
Hi frands
As we all know there r many clones of Linux.
but out of which
Red hat
suse
mandrake r prominent one.
i am familiar with red hat little bit..
but now i want to completely switch to linux.
coz i am planning for making career in this field
my query is now since fedora 3 is out...
is it worth to still use Red hat 9?
As i have to learn and want to go into the depth, not only want to becaome desktop user.
Now i feel that most of the drawback(limitation) in red het 9 must be overcome in fedora 3.why not start frm fdora
As far as market is concern ,i dont known companies r still using red hat or fedora..or something else
Plz gimme ur views.
Thnks

:roll: :roll:

ujjwal

Padawan
... clones of Linux.

Uh, these are not clones of linux, rather they are distributions of software which use linux as their kernel (core component) :)

As for your query, well, Redhat 9.0 is a little old, but if you want to learn about linux, you can do so in any distribution. Try and spend maximum time in the command line, and get familiar with the commands, shell scripting, and the basic functionality of linux/unix. Once you know the basics well, you can use any distribution and get some work done with it.

ujjwal

Padawan
Also, if you want to give the Redhat Certified Engineer exam, that will be on the Redhat Enterprise Linux, which is not free, but you can look at free clones of RHEL like CentOS.

tuxfan

Technomancer
As ujjwal said, for certification, you might have to rely on Red Hat EL. But otherwise Mandrake and SuSE are also good. I have never even seen SuSE, but have seen some experienced people saying its nice. I am using Mandrake and PCQ Linux 2005 (based on Fedora Core 3). Both are good, but somehow, I have recently started liking Mandrake more.

jamifahad

Broken In
Try Out

Well im not sum xpert or sumthin...but if u want to practice linux try knoppix.u dont hve to install tis o.s u can boot wid a cd.so its o.s on fly.its gr8 way of learning linux widout installing one..

try out.

demoninside

In the zone
Come on guys hw can u forget Debian
any ways i hv tried Fedora, Mandrake, Debian, Ubuntu
i guess it`s only personal choice rather then being superior,
so it dependes on U,
but still i count on Mandrake for a new user...........

h4xbox

Journeyman
knoppix is the most popular live cd...... and its best for any user, be it a |^|B3R G33K or a n00b!3.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
h4xbox, jamifahad guys he wants to get serious ;)

Alexander_H
It would have been better if you have quoted which field you will be pursuing in Linux, like programming, networking, administration etc.

Well in any case once you get hooked to linux you will need to do much more beyond Desktop. Fedora core4 is due to out in a month or so. So you better get Fedora3 or any other new distro.

predeep you are in bangalore do you have any fresh copy of gentoo. I have never tried it.
demoninside I will get a copy of Debian from you when I am back in doon ;)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
yes i am in bangalore the gentoo download cd is just 50MB but for a full customised installation a net connection is a must. There are also other ways to install gentoo where in the CD (2 of them) hold all the software and can be installed like debian , FC etc but the optimization is not all that great, good enough for first time gentoo users.
Any way you are welcome to see a demo at my place or college (Computer Science Dept, IISc) any time.

demoninside

In the zone
if u want debiam then i can even send it to u?
all u need to day DVD price(i don`t know wht`s there but here a blank DVD costs 30 RS) and posting thats' all..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom