Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys
I am running on Win Xp
I got a 40 gb hard disk and 4 partitions
with Xp installed on C:\

I wanted to install linux 9.0 and am copletly new to it.i have heard lot of probles occur while trying to install it on a Xp partition
Pls help me how to go about doing so
Thanx!

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Well ... When I installed Red Hat 9 on my system, I deleted one of my partition ( Games partition) through Win XP 's integrated Disk management system. It was 9.8 Gb previously.. I then created a new partition in the space of 5 Gb and left 4 gb unallocated space.
Now boot with Red Hat Cd and tell it to use the unallocated space to install Linux. .. You'll need to use Grub as boot loader ... Rest is all you can do yourself ..

Btw .. I would suggest you to install Suse ..Its better than Red Hat 9.0 ..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
amanwannalearn said:
I wanted to install linux 9.0 and am copletly new to it
Linux 9.0 ??? Linux never reached its 9.0 version...its still 2.6.x .... What specific distribution are you talking about ??? Many of the popular distros have reached their 9.0 version...

I just wanna add something... you've written that you'reinstalling on an XP partition... i'm sure you're trying to say something else... Linux installation needs a separate partition...

EinSTeiN

Broken In
I've installed redhat 9.0 on the same hard drive as windows xp but in different partition and till date it has caused no probs.

busyanuj

In the zone
GNUrag said:
amanwannalearn said:
I wanted to install linux 9.0 and am copletly new to it
Linux 9.0 ??? Linux never reached its 9.0 version...its still 2.6.x .... What specific distribution are you talking about ??? Many of the popular distros have reached their 9.0 version...

GNUrag, he's talking about the Red Hat Linux 9

let's not expect a new user to know about the kernel 2.6.8-1.521

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I think you should delete a partition using xp and then install linux on the free space of 9gb. allot your ram*2 as the swap 200 mb for boot and rest as the / partitions these partitions are created automaticaly by the installer of red hat 9. also i would recommend that one of the remaing three partitions should be fat32 call it share this partition can be used as a common area between linux and xp. This is because linux cannot write on the ntfs partitions and a fat32 is r/w type.

busyanuj

In the zone
Reply: Red hat Linux 9.0..On Xp??

amanwannalearn said:
Hi guys
I am running on Win Xp
I got a 40 gb hard disk and 4 partitions
with Xp installed on C:\

I wanted to install linux 9.0 and am copletly new to it.i have heard lot of probles occur while trying to install it on a Xp partition
Pls help me how to go about doing so
Thanx!

in Windows XP, go to "Administrative Options", and select "Computer Management"
in that, go to Disk Management.
you will see the hard drive partition table.
select the partition on which you want to install Linux and delete that partition.

next boot from the Redhat 9 cd, and when the installer asks you to configure file system, select "Disk Druid" to manually configure it.

in the following screen,
click on "new" and create a linux "swap" partition that is double of your RAM in size.
again click on "new" and select the mount point -- / and allocate all the free space to this partition (roughly 4 to 5 GB of space is sufficient for a full install of RHL 9)

proceed with the Redhat installation, and when it asks you to install "boot loader", install it on the MBR of your hard drive.

stonecold8

Broken In
I think deleting a partition which currently winxp is using and installing linux on it is invitation to problem .As the xp will try to detect that deleted partition (cos it is still in its extended part) and it will make ur xp run very slowly. I am saying this as i have tried this thing before. So what i suggest is install xp again so now while installign xp create partitons again and keep some around 5-6 gb unpartioned and then after installing xp install linux on that unpartioned space . So when installing linux u can use disk grud to make partiton (root, boot and swap) on that unpartioned space. Hope this helps :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
no i dont think deleting a partition will cause any problem once a partition is deleted using win xp system administration there are no issues of xp detecting the same and thus no slow running. i am using the same method on my setup i have a 160gb sata disk where i have win xp, debian sarge and fedora core 2 running the same way i mentioned above with no degradation in the performance of xp.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Just delete the last partition and install PCQ Linux 2004 (based on Fedora Core 1).

Boot from the first CD. During installation, there will be an option of automatic partitioning. Select that and tell it to use the free space. It will take care of creating all necessary partitions like boot, swap and root. Its very simple.

It may also give you a warning about your partitioning scheme and will say that creating boot disk is highly recommended. Just ignore the warning. I have also ignored it and things work great :)

But since you are a newbie, I would very strongly recommend that you take backup of your XP data. Although I wouldn't have said so if you would have been an experienced Linux user.

busyanuj

In the zone
stonecold8 said:
I think deleting a partition which currently winxp is using and installing linux on it is invitation to problem .As the xp will try to detect that deleted partition (cos it is still in its extended part) and it will make ur xp run very slowly. I am saying this as i have tried this thing before. So what i suggest is install xp again so now while installign xp create partitons again and keep some around 5-6 gb unpartioned and then after installing xp install linux on that unpartioned space . So when installing linux u can use disk grud to make partiton (root, boot and swap) on that unpartioned space. Hope this helps :)

one can always make use of the option of having upto 4 primary partitions.

as far as installing Linux in the extended partition is concerned, I haven't seen Windows XP become sluggish due to that.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
I second that .. It will detect your newest volume as Volume and wont bug you anymore ... No performance decrease whatsover ...

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
These are my Partition
C:\ 7.87 gb ||||| free space :3gb
d:\ 14.70gb||||||| free space :3.06gb
e:\14.69 gb |||||||| free space : 9677 mb

I dont want to delete any partition and want to install Linux in E drive(dont worry ill creTE sapce later,,tell me how much?)
If i nstall linux on e:\ Will i be able to access data on C and D drives??Also will the file system of all these drives change??
I think being more specific will help!Also i am installing Red Hat Linux 9.0 not PCQ linux 2004

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
amanwannalearn said:
I dont want to delete any partition and want to install Linux in E drive(dont worry ill creTE sapce later,,tell me how much?)
You can delete your E:\ drive and create Linux partitions...
amanwannalearn said:
If i nstall linux on e:\ Will i be able to access data on C and D drives??
Of course... you can mount them .... many distros do that task for you.... you dont have to worry...
amanwannalearn said:
Also will the file system of all these drives change??
Why would their filesystems change ?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
busyanuj said:
GNUrag, he's talking about the Red Hat Linux 9
let's not expect a new user to know about the kernel 2.6.8-1.521
Arrrey anuj bhai, the point is, why not correct a person if he is going wrong ? There's a difference between name of kernel andname of distribution.... let us not be so much spoon feeding people...

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
hey guys i think he wants to install linux inside an existing windows partition. see he says "I dont want to delete any partition and want to install Linux in E drive(dont worry ill creTE sapce later,,tell me how much?) "
well i have heard of linux distro that can be installed within a existing windows partition but sorry cannot recall any now (age is catching up with me)
So it is possible but to have a real feel i would still suggest you remove a partition and use the unpartitioned free space to install linux.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Allright, you can install Linux onto an existing FAT32 partition.... just select the E:\ drive in Disk Druid and install it there... it will install it in a UMSDOS mode...

But he'll have to boot using a floppy everytime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom