Red hat 9 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
Hey everyone,i was very new to the linux concept.so i decided to install and try linux on my own.
i foun three dusty red hat 9 c.d.;s and decided to give them a try.i ianstalled everything and it went on like a breeze.after everything was installed,i rebooted.then the grub loader came in i selected the "red at" option.Then something came in a dos-like screen and i got the following screen:
*img154.echo.cx/img154/1842/linuxerror5zc.jpg
then nothing happened. is it supposed to be like this?
the wat shud i do to bring the desktop?or is there no desktop in red hat?
please suggest something.
btw,i had installed GNOME

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Did you get a loggin prompt or is it stuck at the point your snap shot shows?
What hardware config do you have?
I would suggest you use a newer version of linux in case you have a problem as red hat 9 might not be able to do all the hardware detection required.

OP
sagar_coolx

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
yup it gets stuck at this very point.
I wish i had another linux distro or a dvd drive,but unfortunatetely,i dont.
that means,i dont have any other linux.
my config:p3,550 mhz,192 mb ram,810e board,20 g.b.hdd. eith 4 partitions.(1 primary,1 extended,the other 3 in the extended,)i aminstalling linux on the primary one.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
your setup is ideal for red hat 9 and i find no reason for red hat to get stuck at that point. Ok lets see you said that you installed gnome so did you change any default settings in the package selection option that come up during installing? if yes what changes did you do. What i recommend is you do a reinstall with all default settings and the customization can be done later. Red Hat 9 is perfect for your system and will work without a glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom