Recording Digital Video from Camcorder to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

freemurti

Right off the assembly line
Hi friends,

Need advice…. Bought a Panasonic Digital video (DV) camcorder model NV GS 15. I would like to know how to record the movie taken by the camcorder to my PC?

The camcorder has a DV out which may be used to connect to a firewire ( IEEE 1394) add on card on my motherboard Intel D865GBF. Is this the best way? Or to use a capture card like pinnacle PCTV TV tuner card? In case I have to use the TV tuner card- how should I connect the camcorder- through USB port or through the VHS cord directly to the TV tuner card?

Please suggest what is the better way--- I think by the firewire add on card is the better way--- if it is so, please give idea about how to proceed further after I connect the firewire card. Also advice how much is approx. cost of Firewire add on card on PCI slot. What format would be the recording by firewire port? If it is in a format other than mpeg what software is suggested to convert to mpeg so that I can burn to a
cd?

What should be the best software for the cutting, pasting & editing a movie for a novice?

Thanks buddies in advance.

Journeyman
IEEE 1394 is the fastest.

There is nothing like firewire.

A Basic FireWire card should cost you less than Rs 1200 with the wire and with 3 external ports and 1 internal port.
If you use Adobe Premiere - which I personally feel is the coolest software for editing videos it would be cool.
If you are really new to video editing, I suggest that use Microsoft movie Maker which comes free with Windows XP Home and Pro; As Adobe Premire is a costly option.

kayote

Broken In
Find it surprising that you dont have a USB connector for the movie transfers... as for editing... use windows movie maker... it easy to use and has does a most of the required functionality for a in-house movie editor :)

kayote said:
Find it surprising that you dont have a USB connector for the movie transfers...

Nothing surprising here. From my experience with Sony's, they supply USB only to transfer stills from the memory stick or for streaming low quality video when used as webcam. For full DV quality video transfer, Firewire is advised. Even USB 2's real life speeds (not theoretical) are les than 1/3rd that of IEEE1394 (aka Firewire).

-k

P

priyadarshi

Keith Sebastian said:
Nothing surprising here. From my experience with Sony's, they supply USB only to transfer stills from the memory stick or for streaming low quality video when used as webcam. For full DV quality video transfer, Firewire is advised. Even USB 2's real life speeds (not theoretical) are les than 1/3rd that of IEEE1394 (aka Firewire).
-k

I'm using samsung sc d-353 which has 4 video capturing option.
1. S-video
2. IEEE 1394
3. USB 2.0 and through
4. audio video jack
I've got USB cable and bundled software like Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE and Ulead VideoStudio 7 SE DVD once i tried to capture the video, it plays too slow, just like webcams do after connecting to net. I went to a studio lab where they connect their system through my audio video cable into their pinnacle card and the result was too good.
now i'd like to know the way i can get the best result. is IEEE 1394 controller and firewire are same? is it better than A/V and S-video? does P3 (800Mhz, Krypton's M6VLQ Grand motherboard with 512+256MB of RAM) supports IEEE 1394? which brand will be the best for optimum result? and which software will be the best as my DV driver supports only windows98 & Millenium and not server O/S. if possible please mention the price too (including cables).

TechGuru#1

In the zone
NOTHING BEATS FIREWIRE.a.k.a IEEE 1394 as THE Best input Connection 2 Record your Full Scale Video in all Glory,Colour & that WOW factor!
Using my SONY Digital Handycam for the Last 3 years with that connector & so know that from personal xperience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom