Status
Not open for further replies.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
Recommend a PATA/ATA133/UltraATA Hard disk

EDIT:
Check this reply:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=398499&postcount=22

I am not going to upgrade my motherboard, processor and graphics card just yet I am waiting for PCIexpress 2 (yet to become mainstream) and Direct X 10 compliant graphic cards yet to become within the reach of mypocket but am in dire need of some storage space and yearn for a good hard disk to tide over till the end of 2007 (when I may cut myself a better deal on the vista premium certified hardware) have made a list of Hard Disks of 250 gigs or more for my old rig which will run on ATA133/IDE slot of my Intel Original 845WN

Please consider the following and suggest their current prices

1. Hitachi GST Deskstar T7K250 HDT722525DLAT80 (250GB)
2. Western Digital Caviar WD3200JB (320 GB)
3. Seagate Barracuda ST3400832A 7200.8 (400GB)
4. Hitachi GST Deskstar T7K500 HDT725040VLAT80 (400GB)
5. Hitachi GST Deskstar T7K500 HDT725050VLAT80 (500GB)
The above are mentioned based on their ratings in Tom's Hardware Guide in ascending order of the money I may have to squander.

Also suggest other hard disks >/= 200 Gigs,7200 RPM with 8mb cache (IDE/UltraATA/133 compatible). I have omitted samsung and Maxtor as I fear that they develop bad sectors/clusters easily and considering their bad performance (though I hear western digital is no good too).
My current HDD is Samsung 40 gb 5400rpm, 5years old developed 4kb bad cluster twice over the period of use which i removed successfully using low level tools. currently working fine though only i gig free. Sick and tired of writing to dvds/cds

Moreso, plz state if Western Digital is worth buying ( I hear they are poor on support, develop bad sectors frequently and have no good warranty).

PS. I know Hitachi launched a 1TB HDD in US at the CES2007 which is SATA II, but it is a good dream for me to drool on for years to get hold of one.
My budget is upto a max Rs. 6000

Last edited:
OP
F

The Transcendental
techtronic said:
Seagate BARRACUDA Drives are available in 750 GB
You can bet on them

Can you plz. tell me the prices too and the model no. Seagate has a wide range of hard disks. Is there a Barracuda 7200.10 (7200 rpm, there are others like 7200.8, 7200.2 etc. depending on performance) for instance for the PATA interface with 250gigs and 8mb cache and how much does it cost. Does it measure up against Hitachi and how are my chances of getting bad sectors?

OP
F

The Transcendental
Prices?
Frm your suggestions it appears Seagate barracuda 250 GB will be the way to go. (not interested in very high capacities as i am likely to upgrade next year)
What about Hitachi 250 gb. I know its more expensive.
Can anyone please tell me about the bad sector issues/reliabilty with a particular brand or point me to a post which does.

shantanu

Technomancer
Seagate is better ,, thats my thinking .. IN RELIABILITY AND EVERTHING..

EITHER SEAGATE OR WD seagate ST3250820AS is the model no. and pricing is about 3.2k

OP
F

The Transcendental
Thank you all.
One last query.
Do PATA hard disks support perpendicualr recording, or more lucidly speakinq, is there a 7200.10 model of Seagate Barracuda available for PATA 250 GB HDD?

shantanu

Technomancer
NO Seagate 7200.10 is only for sata II models with perpendicular recording and NCQ and many more features

OP
F

The Transcendental
shantanu_webmaster said:
NO Seagate 7200.10 is only for sata II models with perpendicular recording and NCQ and many more features

Ooops already repped u. I found this on Seagates website:

Barracuda 7200.10 Ultra ATA/100 250-GB Hard Drive
ST3250820A
*www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e443577a7f53d010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US
ST3250620A
*www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=349f99f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US

There are models for other sizes too.
But I do agree that PATA hard disks don't support native command queueing.
Or am I mistaken PATA ain't UltraATA/100?
btw, does intel original 845 wn support UltaATA/100?

EDIT:
These also have a 16 mb buffer.
Looks like we have a winner.

EDIT2:
Man, little numbers make all the difference.
ST3250620A has 16mb cache and ST3250820A has 8mb cache.ST3250820A

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
IF thAT i am mistaken but .10 models are NCQ and perpendicular recording... and thanks for your repping and yes its A PATA ONLY...

but pata does not support NCQ and pR

Last edited:
OP
F

The Transcendental
shantanu_webmaster said:
IF thAT i am mistaken but .10 models are NCQ and perpendicular recording... and thanks for your repping and yes its A PATA ONLY...

but pata does not support NCQ and pR

Did you open the links bro.
It says there at Seagate that these models support perpendicular recording.
YAY :LOL:

btw, can't see your avatar. I block all avatars, ads and some scripts using adblock plus for firefox.
so, now i can't see your avatar or your face ( is it red LOL?) Thank you for being there.

shantanu

Technomancer
NO THAT I AM SURE ABOUT COZ that drive says no to perpendicular recording in Sisoftware sandra

The .10 HDD IDE supports PR i was wrong but Sisoftware sandra says that it does not coz the model no. is different , there was a 250GB which was 9 gen so i got confused... SORRY

Last edited:
OP
F

The Transcendental
Sisoftware sandra 2005 or 2006? Also, have you connected it to a SATA port insted of a PATA? Can you plz also check with some other diagnostic tool too. Will be highly obliged.
If you own that drive can you also tell me how much it costs as in Delhi?
If it ain't true, lets jointly sue Seagate inc. We can share the profits and buy more hard disks.
ROTF

Dunno, but i googled the model and everywhere it turns up it says perpendicular recording is there for this model.

shantanu

Technomancer
I HAVE TWO SYSTEMS ONE HAS 250 sata and one has 250 pata

SATA: ST3250820AS

PATA: ST3250020A

The sata drive is 7200.10 with NCQ and other features

The PATA Drive is 7200.9 and it does not support PR checked in SISoftware sandra and EVEREST .

BUT EVEREST ULTIMATE EDITION says to 7200.10 that it supports PERPENDICULAR RECORDING and Sisoftware 2005 says NO ,

SO THIS MUST BE SOFTWARE PROBLEM....

CHECKED IN EVEREST ULTIMATE EDITION 2006 UPDATED today ..

THE DRIVE YOU ST3250620A and ST3250820A supports PERPENDICULAR RECORDING..

and buddy SATA HDD has different port and PATA IS Connected to IDE

i think you are knowing this :D

OP
F

The Transcendental
Duh, I was being funny not sarcastic. No need to shout or be angry, I am refreshing this page for your reply.

I should have known.
I was talking about the model
ST3250620A
ST3250820A

not

ST3250820AS
ST3250020A

These hardware companies try to confuse us into buying older products using such cryptic innocuous differences in their product ids.

Btw, learnt u are in US 2day.Good for you How much are the PS3, PSP there.(sure u mustve asked?)
Moreso, don't their products run at 110 V? Like ain't that a problem 4 us?

shantanu

Technomancer
hey look dude !! i was not shouting !! and i cannot do that i just wrote that thing in BOLD to make it clear!!

dont think negative yaar!

and i know you were being funny!!! :D dont take it anyways... i didnt wanted to hurt you on that!!! you seem a good guy to me!!!

and yes the models you are talking about supports PERPENDICULAR RECORDING

and now i am not shouting ,,,

:D yeah i never asked for PSP or PS3 , but you are corrext that the codes of the companies are confusing us..

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom