Reasons not to upgrade early in Vista's release

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ankitsagwekar

Reasons not to upgrade early in Vista's release

1. The first release of a new operating system often has many bugs.

2. Your computer is functioning fine and doing all you need it to do right now.

3. Your computer does not meet the requirements for Windows Vista and you don’t want to invest the time and money in upgrading your hardware.

4. You are very much attached to using old programs that may not work in Windows Vista. Early reports, for example, indicate some bugs occurring in Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 (5.0 is now released) and also Microsoft Outlook 2003 when used in Vista. Some old programs may work in Windows Vista, but if they use WinHelp32.exe as their help file, their Help feature may be inaccessible.

5. You subscribe to an antivirus program that is not fully supported by Windows Vista (Even Symantec and McAfee express dissatisfaction that their software, although functional, is more limited in its capabilities in Vista)

6. To start with, many of the touted features, such as better security, instant desktop search and the sidebar gadgets feature, are already available from third party software providers on Windows XP. A host of 2007 edition ‘Internet Security’ packages exist with powerful firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware and other protective features, desktop search software is readily available from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and others, and sidebars and gadget clones exist from Google, Yahoo and others already.

7. Other features include quality photo management, better backup and defrag tools, and even parental controls. All of these tools are available elsewhere, with both paid and free software packages available in most categories.

8. Most manufacturers that have still not as yet released Vista drivers for various bits and pieces of hardware, some crucially important, others not so, have relied on the fact that the consumer launch of Vista is promised for January 30.

9. Even so, all the missing drivers will not magically become available on that date, but progressively onwards thereafter, and hopefully with as much consumer pressure as possible, in as quick a timeframe as can be managed after the January 30 date.

10. You don’t have the money you need to purchase the upgrade and/or prefer not to make Bill Gates any richer any sooner than you have to. (If this is not an issue for you, check out the Bill Gates personal wealth clock to see just how much you are contributing already to his luxurious lifestyle).

So, should you run out and buy Vista immediately upon its release?

aku

Gonna make it BiG
yepp.. im gonna try it asap (well will be updatin my sys as soon as mah examz r ovr)

People who are technology enthusists will never worry about it. They will definitely gonna try it out and will be embarrassed with Vista functionality. So plz read the suggestions by Ankit and wait for some time atleast 2-3 months by this time through updates many bugs will be patched.

Thanks Ankit

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
have been hearing it from many months. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate 3 months ago, & guess what, other then workstation apps I don't even boot into Windows XP

Vista + firewall + common sence is all u need to make it secure. Even Windows Mail is hell lot secure, almost on the league with Outlook

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^^ the problem is common sense is not very common , i see many computer engineers and my fellow MCA classmates using antivir on their comps, and still they have viruses an malwares on their comps one on which is the antivirus soft itself.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
WAIT. Do you know about many issues which are not very much highlighted...Vista is hiding many things behind its sparkles. Read some of them here...A must read for every Vista enthusiast...

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Only enthusiasts/geeks will bother about 'playing' with vista. The rest probably don't even know when vista is coming out.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
There'll always be folks who'll try it out, make no mistakes. Your set of guidelines most probably apply and make sense to the average computer user.

I mean, Linux lovers (who run Windows as an alternative OS, or the other way round :D) will be just egging to have a crack at Vista and highlight all its various flaws in no time. ;)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Apollo said:
I mean, Linux lovers (who run Windows as an alternative OS, or the other way round :D) will be just egging to have a crack at Vista and highlight all its various flaws in no time. ;)
Those are just some fanboys with nothing better to think of. Most of us have better work.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
subratabera said:
WAIT. Do you know about many issues which are not very much highlighted...Vista is hiding many things behind its sparkles. Read some of them here...A must read for every Vista enthusiast...

"Vista hiding many things behind its sparkles" , nice title that made me read the old DRM fuss , that has been discussed before in this forum. You will be able to play protected content on vista only , xp or any other os will even not be able to run , the non protected content will play same as on the other available OS . Is it bad or good ? these are not the restrictions put by evil MS ,and soon other OS's will also have to implement it and they will . This protected content is forced by the hollywood and music industry, to be a complete OS every single OS will have to implement this feature or users will not be able to play the stupid protected things.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45611&highlight=vista

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well said mehul! :) i wudn't bother installing it simply coz i'm not fully conversed wid its features, down to each detail. actually to make a system secure, all u need is a firewall + lotsa common sense!!!! vista is just supplementary!! :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
tarey_g said:
"Vista hiding many things behind its sparkles" , nice title that made me read the old DRM fuss , that has been discussed before in this forum. You will be able to play protected content on vista only , xp or any other os will even not be able to run , the non protected content will play same as on the other available OS . Is it bad or good ? these are not the restrictions put by evil MS ,and soon other OS's will also have to implement it and they will . This protected content is forced by the hollywood and music industry, to be a complete OS every single OS will have to implement this feature or users will not be able to play the stupid protected things.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45611&highlight=vista
Yeah everyone knows that. The idea behind this anti-DRM movement is to make people aware. If enough people are made aware and they raise up their voice, no company will be able to enforce DRM. Look at what happened to MS at EU. Simply, create awareness and pass laws to ban DRM'ed products.
How can such anti-consumer tactics be allowed to proper?

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
EU stand against Ms is mostly idiotic imo , but as everyone i hate DRM , infact ita the technology that no consumer could possibly like. But the sad thing is that consumer is powerless before big corps. No matter how much they say consumer is the driver of the market, reality is different.
DRM should die.

Last edited:

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
This is the best reason i could find for not upgrading to vista

Microsoft has set a lot of restrictions on Vista, but if this latest one holds true, it could mean the difference between upgrading or not for some people. Apparently if you buy an upgrade version of Windows Vista for your XP machine, Windows Vista will invalidate your XP key (so you won't be able to set up a dual-boot option nor will you be able to use that version of XP on another machine). Not only that, but if you ever uninstall Vista, you won't be able to fall back on your copy of XP anymore. Nice way to entice the upgraders, MS. – Louis Ramirez

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
actully, this should have been made clear long ago.

When u buy an upgrade to your existing OS, u replace it, u don't end up with 2 OS license. This is what upgrade means

However, as always, there is a jugard now :D

1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
  2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
  3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
  4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
  5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
  6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
  7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Would just like to comment on two of the points you made.

The point about Symantec and McAfee being unsatisfied about their products on Vista, one needs to remember that the original plans for Vista were so secure that there would have been a very very minimal need for an anti virus, and these comapanies rallied against microsoft's plans to make sure that microsoft removes the Kernal Patch Gaurd from the 32bit Vista just so that their Anti Virus could patch the Kernel ( Make it insecure) so that people would have the need for an anti virus and buy there products.
Also, Ankit Fadia , in an Interview on Headlines today revealed that many Anti Virus Cos. develop and release Viruses in the market, and that explains why as soon as a deadly virus is out on the Cyber Space, the companies come out with patches within hours. And as a proof, he said he has many friends who have worked in the Anti Virus Cos. previously , and it is they who have revealed this to him.

And another point about increasing Bill Gates wealth, then you should also mention that he donates a lot of his wealth in charity and his wife runs one of the worlds largets charitable organisation. He is even retiring so that he can spend more time in the organisation. He is one good guy, this was a completely useless point made by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom