Real World guide to Windows XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Real Life Windows XP SP2 Guide

Although there are many guides on the internet telling something or some trick to tweak Windows XP SP2 this way or that way, but those are all too complex, at least in my opinion, so I made a guide to Windows XP based on the mixture of all of the internet & some of my own, so credit to those who already posted this somewhere else

First I assume that U already have SP2 file with U, it is given in this month’s Digit, both in CD & DVD, so should be available to all, now comes the part from start. Also it will install even on Pirated copies so no worries for everyone

1) Installing over existing SP1 or Windows

If U are already using a RC version of Windows XP SP2 & Don’t want to reinstall windows but just want to install SP2 safely then I prefer that U don’t select the option to backup the file to uninstall SP2 at a later time, this however is not possible by default, go for small file names, copy the SP2 setup file to some where in your PC, I prefer D:\ now rename it to SP2.exe so the total path becomes

D:\sp2.exe

Now start >> run >> sp2.exe /n
Remember there is a space between .exe & /

Now SP2 installation will start but it will not backup the files to remove SP2 later

2) DEP

This is a new technology in SP2, which runs every code in a managed environment & doesn’t allows the execution of something malicious in the hardware, so nothing can beat it, only Athlon64/Athlon 64 FX, Opetron, & Prescott F core support this in hardware, for every other CPU it runs in software mode, this really hampers the performance of even Windows 2D, there is no direct way to disable it instead of editing the boot.ini file, for that

Open system properties >> Advanced >> Startup & recovery >>

Select edit to edit the boot.ini file, it will have a string called /NoExecute=optout, change this code to /execute, only change this nothing else or Windows will not work, now reboot & go again to

Open system properties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Data Execution Protection, if every thing is grayed out or unavailable then U have successfully Disabled

3) SP2 will revert Windows to the condition it was when XP was released, basically much of the code is re-written so it can also be considered as XP version 2 or XP 2nd Edition

4) XP SP2 comes with Windows Media Player 9, but if U have WMP10 final installed then it will not over install WMP9 on it, be patience, SP2 takes a lot of time to install, it’s normal, on my PC it took about 15 mins

5) Slipstreaming

Best way to use SP2 is to make a slipstreamed CD of XP SP2 & then reinstall Windows, but this should be done only if U don’t want to keep your existing windows installation & want to start fresh, the safest way to slipstream is to use AutoStreamer, it is a idiot proof way to slipstream, I don’t recommend nlite as it might create problem. Just start & follow the instruction, remember, Autostreamer hates long file paths

6) tcpip limit

Windows XP limits the maximum connection to any server to only 10, in SP1 it was unlimited, or 16.7 million connections, this is good so as to stop the spreading of virus who automatically send them selves to everyone in your address book, to disable this limit & use the 16.7 million limit gain, U have to patch your tcpip.sys file, an already patched file with unlimited connection can be downloaded from here.

Boot is safe mode, then go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers backup the existing tcpip.sys file, now copy the new unlimited file U just downloaded to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers
C:\Windows\System32\dllcache
C:\Windows\Servicepackfiles

Remember, the folder servicepackfiles will not be available If U are using a slipstreamed version of SP SP2, also the dll cache folder is a hidden system folder so go to

Tools -> folder Option -> Select “Show hidden files� & show hidden system files, now copy the files to the above mentioned location

7) JAVA runtime

If U are installing XP SP2 on your existing installation of Windows XP then it will not uninstall MS JVM if it is already present, however If U are using a slipstreamed version, then MS JVM won’t be installed, a better the MS JM way is to use Sun JAVA runtime, currently at 1.4.2_05

8) Although Security centre is a good edition for novices but U can disable it from services,nsc if U don’t like it, do the same with other services which U don’t use. Don’t change the status of print spooler service if U R using a printer

OP
G

gxsaurav

I had no idea what thing to post, I would like to ask U guys, what else should be here, I will be updating it soon

OP
G

gxsaurav

A few more things I found & added, if it already posted somewhere else or given then I take no credit for that, I just found out this myself so I m giving it here

1) Disable QoS reserved Bandwidth (XP Pro only)

Also present in XP SP1, this reserves about 20% bandwidth for Windows XP updates, etc, even if the Automatic services are not running, to disable it type gpedit.msc in the run dialog then to Local Computer -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> QoS Packet Scheduler -> Limit reserved bandwidth Then enable it & change the bandwidth to 0

2) Disable Map Network Drive

Basically it is useless even if U have a network, it comes when U select the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, To disable Map Network Drive etc, run gpedit.msc then go to User Configuration - > Administrative Templates - > Windows Component - > Windows Explorer - > In the right pane enable the option “Remove Map network Drive�

3) Many of us have confusion that what is the final built of XPSP2, as it shows rtm in the built number when Installed, this is not wrong, rtm becomes rtw later, MS may release A SP2a with this rtm removed, in the mean time, even U can change it manually for that open regedit, then navigate to

HKEY Local Machine - > Software - > Microsoft - >Windows NT- > Current version

In the right hand pane, at the top there is a key names Buildlab change the RTM to anything U like, mine is
2600. xpsp_sp2.040803-2158

4) Many peoples are saying that they are having compatibility problem with SP2, however I found none with any thing, even Office & Outlook 2003 is working fine, if U find any compatibility problem then check the vendor’s website for a patch or update

4) Slimming Windows XP SP2, Remove these files to free up HD space

C: \windows\drivercache\i386\

NOTE: DON’T DELETE THIS FOLDER, JUST ALL THE FILES INSIDE! This is one you may not want to delete, this takes up a bit of space (about 100mb) but windows uses if you ever add or remove windows components and things like printer drivers. If you’re your hardware is already working fine, you don’t need this folder on your hard drive. For example, if you delete this folder, and try to install IIS, windows will ask for the CD or Network share with the files on it, if you don’t need to add or remove windows components often, deleting this will free up some space for you.

3) c:\windows\help\

NOTE: DON’T DELETE THIS FOLDER, JUST ALL THE FILES IN SIDE! This folder contains all of the windows help files if you delete this folder and try to view a help file, the Help and Support center will come up with a 404 error. No harm is done; you just can’t view the help files because you deleted them. There is also a tours folder inside of the help folder; you can delete everything in this folder except the tour.exe file in side mmtour folder

4) c:\windows\inf\

NOTE: DON’T DELETE THIS FOLDER, JUST ALL THE FILES INSIDE! This folder contains a lot of windows drivers, if you ever add new hardware, windows looks in this folder, then on your CD drive for the latest drivers. Any hardware you might get will probably come with the drivers on a disk, so this folder is just a wasting space on your hard drive with outdated drivers. If all of your hardware is working fine, and you don’t plan on adding any new hardware for a while, deleting this won’t affect your system at all. If you don’t want to delete everything in it, U can search for mdm*.* and delete everything that comes up. These are all modem drivers, and it is very unlikely you will ever need them because you either have a modem installed already, also remove driver with name sis, via on it & manufacturer, however do not remove the files which are from MS, like IIS.inf, app.inf etc, they are required

OP
G

gxsaurav

More tocome, I m looking forward to reduce even more hd space, my c:\windows in 1.23 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom