Real Tech Query!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saipradeepg

Broken In
My computer is locked{Physically}.The Cabinet can't be opened.There is a USB port.But the problem is the USB port has been disabled logically.I dont know the BIOS setup password too...to enabled it.But had some data which needs to be transfered.Of course i can connect an external writer throgh printer port but i dont want that way.Can anyone suggest other techniques through which i can enable the USB port.Thanks a Ton in advance...

Pradeep G.

47shailesh

Security Exp
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor
4. In the right pane, double-click Start.
5. In the Value data box, type 3, click Hexadecimal (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.

plz elaborate ur problem
@cyborg he already mentioned he cannot open Cabinet nor can enter in to BIOS.... So ur trick will wont work untill first boot option is set to "Boot from CD" by default from the mc administrator..

Last edited:

::cyborg::

In the zone
@cyborg he already mentioned he cannot open Cabinet nor can enter in to BIOS.... So ur trick will wont work untill first boot option is set to "Boot from CD" by default from the mc administrator..

oops sorry for that

OP
saipradeepg

saipradeepg

Broken In
Hi,
Sorry but i dont have that folder Usb... under services i checked that out!! Any other way ...? Thanks...

47shailesh

Security Exp
If you do not have USBstor in service in registry then surely...USB devices is not installed on ur system...

Do the following to remove restrictions(i.e. to enable) on USB usage...

If a USB storage device is not already installed on the computer, assign the user or the group Deny permissions to the following files:• %SystemRoot%\Inf\Usbstor.pnf
• %SystemRoot%\Inf\Usbstor.inf
To assign a user or group allow permissions to the Usbstor.pnf and Usbstor.inf files, follow these steps:
1. Start Windows Explorer, and then locate the %SystemRoot%\Inf folder.
2. Right-click the Usbstor.pnf file, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Security tab.
4. In the Group or user names list, click the user or group that you want to set allow permissions for.
5. In the Permissions for UserName or GroupName list, click to select the allow check box next to Full Control, and then click OK.
Note In addition, add the System account to the allow list.
6. Right-click the Usbstor.inf file, and then click Properties.
7. Click the Security tab.
8. In the Group or user names list, click the user or group that you want to set allow permissions for.
9. In the Permissions for UserName or GroupName list, click to select the allow check box next to Full Control, and then click OK.

Then u need to install the device and use it

Last edited:
OP
saipradeepg

saipradeepg

Broken In
Dear Shailesh,
Thanks a lot for your detailed help.Kindly answer some more queries of mine.The Os is WinXp.I opened the Usbstor.pnf file there is only general tab but there is no security tab...
Sincere Regards,
Sai Pradeep

47shailesh

Security Exp
saipradeepg said:
Dear Shailesh,
Thanks a lot for your detailed help.Kindly answer some more queries of mine.The Os is WinXp.I opened the Usbstor.pnf file there is only general tab but there is no security tab...
Sincere Regards,
Sai Pradeep

saipradeepg can you tell me the file system of the partition on which ur XP resides

47shailesh

Security Exp
that the reason ur not able to see, security tab...

it an NTFS feature..

can you tell me the what can observe abt the USB device in device manager..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom