Re:an issue with WINDOWS98

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmads

Journeyman
I had a problem with my Intel 845 chipset mobo (so I was told by my assembler) and it had to be scarpped. A new mobo ASUS P4GE-MX was intalled with fresh DDRam 128mb because this mobo did'nt take the old SDRam. WINDOWS98 was freshly loaded. Now I observe that Windows is taking too long to load. I mean the opening screen of WINDOWS98 stays on for a long time. I want to know what is happening wrong and what needs to be done to make it faster.

The assembler says it loading the drivers. But it was loading the same drivers earlier also. Has it anything to do with new mobo ??

I would appreciate inputs.Thanks

ferrarif50

Journeyman
The booting can take a long time for many reasons. It need not be hardware related at all.

You say the Windows 98 loading screen ( the logo ), stays for a long time during booting?

Then You can find out what is happening by pressing the escape key while the screen is shown. You can actually see what is being loaded.

Do reply for this .

Hope this helps you.

ujjwal

Padawan
What may have happened was that your earlier drivers may not have been properly removed, resulting in a few conflicts, or multiple drivers being loaded up.

Right click on "My computer", go to properties > Device manager and check for any conflicts. Also check if there are two devices listed in sections like the Dislplay adapter, sound card etc. Remove any references to older hardware, which was present on your older motherboard.

OP
H

harmads

Journeyman
Thankyou guys for your replies.

ferrarif50
on pressing ESC I only get a blank screen. I do not see any activity.

ujjwal
the possibility of duplicate devices has been looked into and removed but the time taken is long.

On questioning the assembler, his reply is that on a new mobo, the old processor(P4) may take long to boot, but the working of the computer will not be affected. What is the truth in his statement ? I would appreciate if you could throw futher light on this..
Thanks

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
computer vendor said:
On questioning the assembler, his reply is that on a new mobo, the old processor(P4) may take long to boot, but the working of the computer will not be affected. What is the truth in his statement ? I would appreciate if you could throw futher light on this..
Thanks

i dont think so, he means if i put a 1.8 ghz on intel875, it will run slower than intel845? rubbish!!

i think there's some driver conflict.
try uninstalling some devices and see if they r conflicting..

also,
try installing other os'es

Harmads said:
Re:an issue with WINDOWS98
Windows 98 is itself a big issue :lol:

tuxfan

Technomancer
To have a complete list of drivers installed, you must start the machine in safe mode.

My suggestion is that you start it in safe mode and delete all the drivers and reload them. That should sort out the issues of duplicate and redundant drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom