ram sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
my father told me tht the rams in 2 of the office pcs was showing wierd nos. ... i disagreed and he has brought me a the sizes wriiten on the paper as:

1. 240 MB
2. 228,848 KB ... afaik .... it shud be 256 or 512 or multiple of 8 :confused:

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
yeh kya ho raha hai ...:confused: ... bole toh abhi tak jo padha sab galat tha ....wtf

Gaurav

In the zone
see it depends, mine shows 504MB RAM, but i know i have a 512MB stick. the remaining is consumed for video acceleration or some other tasks by the Operating System.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arre how tht so ... it shud show the ram u have in ... consumed for other purposes is another thing

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
If you have the turned silent boot mode off from your BIOS, you can see the total memory while your computer starts. It inlcudes the main memory + shared memory (i.e. for video acceleration).

shantanu

Technomancer
like that coz 2 4 8 32 64 128 or 256 mb can be shared as many of us know that,,this is a bios feature and all devices are controlled by that only so, Windows get Ram sizes by BIOS after sharing

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
then y is my ram being shared ... i wud love for it to b shared somewhr for better performance

shantanu

Technomancer
its shared for Video accelleration , if it wont be shared then how will your system work without any accelleration for VIDEO performance.

Many onboards share only 2 mb and make it to 64 .

it depends on chipset..

BUT THATS VERY LESS WHAT IS SHARED..

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arre par my pc showing full 512 and has been as far as my memory goes while using a computer

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
meaining .. my pc is showing 512 ... my previous pc showed 64 and the 1 b4 tht 32 ... y no ram from my ram is being shared

shantanu

Technomancer
many mobos dont share it by default as said by ^ vimal check in the BIOS for extra memory sharing or allocation feature ..by default your Onboard is of 2 4 or max. 8 mb MOSTLY 2

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
dont the RAM sharing apply for Onboard gfx. card & with exception of some dedicated gfx. card (nvidia's TC series)

well mav3, ur system RAM is not shared.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom