Not open for further replies.

ashfame

Padawan
these are the reports by everest:
I hav two systems:
System 1:
Code:
Motherboard Properties: 	
Motherboard ID  	63-0100-000001-00101111-021604-iBRKDL_G$VA84510A_BIOS DATE: 02/16/04 02:29:53 VER: 08.00.08 	
Motherboard Name  	Intel Sea Breeze D845GVSR 	

Front Side Bus Properties: 	
Bus Type  	Intel NetBurst 	
Bus Width  	64-bit 	
[b]Real Clock  	133 MHz (QDR) 	
Effective Clock  	533 MHz 	[/b]
Bandwidth  	4267 MB/s 	

Memory Bus Properties: 	
[b]Bus Type  	DDR SDRAM 	[/b]
Bus Width  	64-bit 	
[b]Real Clock  	133 MHz (DDR) 	[/b]
[b]Effective Clock  	267 MHz 	[/b]
Bandwidth  	2133 MB/s 	

Chipset Bus Properties: 	
Bus Type  	Intel Hub Interface 	
Bus Width  	8-bit 	
Real Clock  	67 MHz (QDR) 	
Effective Clock  	267 MHz 	
Bandwidth  	267 MB/s 	

Motherboard Physical Info: 	
CPU Sockets/Slots  	1 	
Expansion Slots  	3 PCI 	
RAM Slots  	2 DIMM 	
Integrated Devices  	Audio, Video 	
Form Factor  	Micro ATX 	
Motherboard Size  	210 mm x 240 mm 	
Motherboard Chipset  	i845GV

System 2:
Code:
Motherboard Properties: 	
Motherboard ID  	63-0100-000001-00101111-062204-iSPGDL_G$BF865001_BIOS DATE: 06/22/04 03:49:15 VER: 08.00.10 	
Motherboard Name  	Intel Bay Field D865GBF 	

Front Side Bus Properties: 	
Bus Type  	Intel NetBurst 	
Bus Width  	64-bit 	
[b]Real Clock  	200 MHz (QDR) 	
Effective Clock  	800 MHz 	[/b]
Bandwidth  	6400 MB/s 	

Memory Bus Properties: 	
[b]Bus Type  	DDR SDRAM 	[/b]
Bus Width  	64-bit 	
[b]Real Clock  	200 MHz (DDR) 	
Effective Clock  	400 MHz 	[/b]
Bandwidth  	3200 MB/s 	

Chipset Bus Properties: 	
Bus Type  	Intel Hub Interface 	
Bus Width  	8-bit 	
Real Clock  	67 MHz (QDR) 	
Effective Clock  	267 MHz 	
Bandwidth  	267 MB/s 	

Motherboard Physical Info: 	
CPU Sockets/Slots  	1 	
Expansion Slots  	6 PCI, 1 AGP 	
RAM Slots  	4 DIMM 	
Integrated Devices  	Audio, Video, LAN 	
Form Factor  	ATX 	
Motherboard Size  	240 mm x 300 mm 	
Motherboard Chipset  	i865G
----------------------------------------------
I need to buy 512 MB DDR ram for both of these.
why it is showing ram to be DDR SDRAM
What are real clock & effective clocks?
Which frequency of ram will be compatible with the two mobos?
coz 512MB @ 266Mhz aren't available!!
One vendor told me that 333Mhz will be compatible but 400Mhz will be a NO NO.
is it true??
can i buy 512 ddr ram @ 333mhz for both of the systems??
pl help its a kind of urgent.

Last edited:

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Real Clock= original frequency (instruction-per-second)
effective clock=original frequency*multiplier
In case of DDR(double data rate), multiplier=2, in case of QDR(quadruple), multiplier=4
But u have posted the FSB clocks.
In everest, go to motherboard and then go to SPD. See the RAM clocks and Latencies there and buy a memory accordingly.

EDIt: Ahh. got it...get DDR RAM @ 266 Mhz for mobo 1 and DDR RAM @ 400 for mobo 2

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
The ram frequency is 133 (SD) MhZ so in DDR i.e Double Data Rate the speed of the SD ram is doubled i.e 266 MhZ.....That is why DDR modules are called DDR SD rams..

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
but 512mb ddr ram @ 266mhz not available in market.
should i go for 333mhz ram for mobo 1.
thanks in advance.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Get a RAM that runs at dual frequencies, like 333(higher) and 266(lower) or 400(higher) and 266(lower)

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
what if i am unable to get dual frequencies ram?
And 400mhz ram for mobo 2 is confirmed na?
will 400mhz ram work in mobo 1?
can the ram sticks get damaged if unmatched frequencies are matched or something?

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
ashfame said:
what if i am unable to get dual frequencies ram?
And 400mhz ram for mobo 2 is confirmed na?
will 400mhz ram work in mobo 1?
can the ram sticks get damaged if unmatched frequencies are matched or something?

Yeah, 400 Mhz for Mobo 2 will work just fine.
Lemme clear this....400 mhz may or may not work with mobo 1.....depends on the make..and as i said..if it has dual operating frequencies. My suggestion wud be--get a 512 MB @ 400 Mhz stick for mobo2...and try it also on mobo 1. If it works, then fine..get another one...if it doesnt...well we'll see that later.
I'll search the net and let u know if i find a dual frequency stick suited to ur need :)

EDIT: aha! Found the Intel specifications for mobo 1 : HERE It says the mobo s'ports 333/266/200 Mhz of speeds @ 2gb DDR ram max.

Last edited:
OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
thanks to samrulez.
thanks a lot to mystichalo. (i liked ur previous avatar more)
i will be buying 512MB DDR ram @ 333mhz for mobo 1 & @ 400Mhz for mobo 2 on monday.

One more ques.
processors that indicate their FSB are real clock or effective clock?

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
ashfame said:
thanks to samrulez.
thanks a lot to mystichalo. (i liked ur previous avatar more)
i will be buying 512MB DDR ram @ 333mhz for mobo 1 & @ 400Mhz for mobo 2 on monday.

One more ques.
processors that indicate their FSB are real clock or effective clock?

I think the indicated FSB is the real clock...and with the multiplier it is the effective clock....Am I right?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well u should be able to find a 512 ddr266 modue ... a little search should do it ...

Also ... all ddr ram are compatible with each other irrespective of the frequency ... when two diff. frequency modules are used , the lower frequency is chosen as the operating frequency .... so u should face no problem ...

The only restriction u might face is the latency variations which might result in a very low oc'ing probability ....

robin345

Broken In
ashfame said:
but 512mb ddr ram @ 266mhz not available in market.
should i go for 333mhz ram for mobo 1.
thanks in advance.
I`m also using 512mb [Kingston] ( 400mhz )[Value Ram ]DDR ram with my old motherboard 845 & It`s Working fine .BUt remember one thing ram will clock at 266Mhz

Last edited:
OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
samrulez said:
I think the indicated FSB is the real clock...and with the multiplier it is the effective clock....Am I right?
Pl explain. I don't get it.
for an example:
Pentium D 805 has a FSB of 533mhz.
this 533mhz is real clock or effective clock?

deathvirus_me said:
The only restriction u might face is the latency variations which might result in a very low oc'ing probability ....
Now wht that means?

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
@ gary
thanks for suggestion
i hav edited it.
can u pl PM all the tags syntax that can be used such as smileys,img etc.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
ashfame said:
Pl explain. I don't get it.
for an example:
Pentium D 805 has a FSB of 533mhz.
this 533mhz is real clock or effective clock?

See 533 MhZ is the real clock and 533*5=2665 MHZ (the clock speed of the proessor) is the effective clock...I..think...

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
samrulez said:
See 533 MhZ is the real clock and 533*5=2665 MHZ (the clock speed of the proessor) is the effective clock...I..think...

Yeah, he's correct.
Processor Clock=FSB * Multiplier.
This is a very common change made during oveclocking...increasing the multiplier setting through the motherboard. Hence, if ur current setting is 2.6 Ghz (533*5), then if u change multiplier to 5.5, the resulting frequency will be (533*5.5)=2.8 Ghz approx., an overclock of 200 Mhz approx.

As for latency, its the delay between transfers in RAM mdules. Higher the latency, higher the delay. Mostly, u'll get modules of local makes like Hynix and Zion with higher latencies whereas costlier modules like those of Corsair and Kingston generally provide lesser latencies.

As far as my avatar is concerned, i'll be changing soon.....maybe a FIFA WC avatar :D

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Now wht that means?

Well .. if i remember correctly i had my ddr266 latencies defaulting at 2.5,3,3,6 ... now .. the ddr400 modules that i use is rated at 2,2,2,6 at ddr266 .... so if i run the ddr400 with my older ddr266 modules .. there will be a bit of a default latency conflict ... so the mobo will detect the ideal stable lantency for both types .. which infact will be 2,2,2,6 ... although the ddr266 modules should run perfectly at those latency .. there's still the word "forced" involved ...

Hynix and Zion with higher latencies

Well . there is something known as "price" .... even zion has low latency editions .... but they will costs a lot more ... for a budget user these are much better ,, coz then a 150 MBps in mem. read/write speed will make a little diff. .... Also ... if ur a nForce mobo owner .... and running an Athlon64 .. lower latencies may not always be better ,,,, like in my case , 3,3,3,8 does better than 2.5,3,3,6 .... about a solid ~100 MBps diff. (more in the higher latencies) ...

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
ashfame said:
I need to buy 512 MB DDR ram for both of these.
why it is showing ram to be DDR SDRAM

Its showing DDR SDRAM instead of DDR RAM because the name of the RAM is DDR SDRAM - Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory instead of wat its popularly known as - DDR RAM thanx to our great system assembler community in India who r careless to the lot and diffrentiate between the older RAMs by calling the SDRAM which is actually SDR SDRAM ie Single Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom