Quicktime 7 For Windows : Preview Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Apple today in WWDC 2005, along with the great news of Mac for X86 & Switching to Intel CPU, has released the Preview version of Quicktime 7 with support for H.264 AVC for Windows, it's no where close to compleate about 50% of the final product & it will crash for sure,

Quicktime is not just a player, it's a compleate Multimedia Authering software, if U buy the pro license, Mobile phone softwares use it's engine to convert files to 3gp, mp4 files rock for internet, even divx is basically MP4

The standalone installer is 14 MB
*fileforum.betanews.com/detail/QuickTime_for_Windows/948389372/1

For more info about this windows version go to *www.apple.com/quicktime

OP
G

gxsaurav

In many years, this is the first time Apple QuickTime 7 software has gone for a complete overhaul, the 70% of the code is re-written for QuickTime 7 & for Mac OS X Tiger, it is a complete re-write

The installation is better then v6.5, this time, as it is Windows installer based, & installed everything possible component, which is also unwanted, as many people don’t need everything, Like I don’t use the Picture viewer or qttask.exe, which adds it self to Windows startup

*img125.echo.cx/img125/6536/main3xy.jpg

Main Window

There are many notable features, for first the interface is more glassy like, just like Mac, & iTunes like toolbar buttons, now this new look is subjective & might not appeal to all, but still it is easy on eyes & stable

The icon for various QuickTime file types have finally changed, just like those on Macs, the icons are taken directly from Mac, there are many essential features, but they are pro only which is a con to QuickTime, just to play full screen U need to go pro

*img106.echo.cx/img106/2970/promenu9tr.jpg

The requirement for QuickTime 7 isn’t that much higher compared to QuickTime 6.5, but for the playback of HD Content apple has stated that a 1.8 GHz system is recommended, other then that, when no HD playback is being done, which won’t be done yet, it runs really nice & smooth on even a Celeron 1.5 GHz or P3 1 GHz, even it is smooth when live resizing a mp4 AVC clip made by Nero recode, although it stutters sometimes, but that can be due to it’s beta nature

The preview release is not a production release, but still it’s quite stable, the H.264 rocks, a DVD when ripped to H.264 at the same resolution gives almost the same quality at 640 kbps bit rate, decreasing the file size by a noticeable margin, although sometimes, it gives the save dialog even for non pro license, automatically.

The Core Video technology on Apple Mac OS X Tiger is not available in QuickTime 7 for Windows I guess, as the video being played is not accelerated by the gfx card, CPU usage is same as QuickTime 6.5

There are a few bugs which I noticed, like this one, %20 instead of space in title name

*img243.echo.cx/img243/637/spacebug9ka.jpg

One important thing, it cannot be skinned with QuickTime or style xp or even the default XP skin engine

Pros

1) Support for HD-DVD, H.264 AVC Video Codec
2) Support for Mobile Phone 3GP clips
3) Support for up to 24 channels of sound, even 5.1 Channel AC3 based DVDs are supported with the QuickTime 7 mpeg-2 playback component

Cons

1) Even basic features like full screen playback require Pro license for $ 30
2) Movies don’t auto play when opened by double clicking in Windows Explorer
3) Cannot skin it, even with the Windows XP skinning engine, take a look at the Open file dialog

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
nice info Saurav!!

dont u think the quicktime player suddenly got recognition? esp during the last year.... man!! ppl just wanted something that could play .3gpp/3gpp video clips. thanx to whatever happend among school kids here in delhi!!!

OP
G

gxsaurav

I don't think so, Quicktime was there from a long time, infact it is required by many Windows & Mac application to work, ACDSee, Director, Premiere many software need it to work

it is not like only Quicktime can play 3GP file, even Real Player can play them, or many other free players, but in case of quicktime the main thing is that the free version is all U will ever need, untill U are in authering which was only 5 MB in download during v6.52

OP
G

gxsaurav

as I said in the review, only the requirments for H.264 is more, for anything other then that even a p3 1 GHz with 256 or in some cases 128 MB RAM is enough

although for 7 Pro, I recomend a P4 1.8 or AMD 1800+ with 256 MB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom