Quick or Thorough Format - New HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

varkey

Journeyman
i bought a 320GB SATA II Seagate HDD. There is a wierd sound when its been accessed. Its very irritating. When I installed windows i chose the quick format option. was this a problem.

I did a spped test using HDD Tach and the results were matching with the result i found in a review of the same HDD.

so please tell me whether the sound is due to not doing a thorough format.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
both should not be problem....means either formatting type...as companies themself pre-format the disk before packaging....they r ready for use....
r u sure noise is from HDD and not any other source???

OP
varkey

varkey

Journeyman
yes its from the HDD. 100%.

does bigger HDD have this type of noise and is this normal????

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
see seagete hdd does gives out sounds..it not completely silent....have u tighten the hDD screws properly????

OP
varkey

varkey

Journeyman
yeah its all tight. i dont think the drive's vibrating. its coming from inside. but its very irritating.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
hey off topic..how much did this machine cost u..can u post individual prices..?????

OP
varkey

varkey

Journeyman
sure. Im from Cochin btw so prices are a bit high.

E6300 - 9100 + tax
DG965WH - 7300 + tax
320 GB SATA II Seagate - 4800 + tax
2x1 GB DDR2 667 Mhz - 11000
Samsung 740n - 11500

Total approx - 48000

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Is the sound continuous or does it come only when the disk is being read from/written to? If its continuous, then it's a problem, otherwise its normal for the HDD to make soft "click" noises when its being used.

OP
varkey

varkey

Journeyman
its only when its being accessed. not always.

but its really annoying. and its not exactly click noises

Odoj

Broken In
varkey said:
its only when its being accessed. not always.

but its really annoying. and its not exactly click noises

Ideally it should not make any noise. Try SeaTools("Online" or "Desktop") from Seagate incase it can identify any problem. (They boast 98% accuracy)

You would like to get it replaced in case of persistent noise.

OP
varkey

varkey

Journeyman
ik not expreriencing any speed probs. in all speed tests the results are good. its only the sound prob.

does big hdd have tis problem?

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
well i recently bought a 160gb seagate drive and this one too gives out noise when accessed but not always. and yes the sound is like kech kech.

OP
varkey

varkey

Journeyman
sysfilez said:
well i recently bought a 160gb seagate drive and this one too gives out noise when accessed but not always. and yes the sound is like kech kech.

hmmm. im thinking of getting mine replaced. cause the sound is very irritating,

Eazy

Journeyman
Read this page of Seagate... "What should I do for a noisy disc drive?"

*www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/noisy_drive.html

Eazy

Journeyman
varkey said:
i chcked that. im thinking atb get it replaced

I just read a post in the Storagereview forum which says...

There are very quiet 7200.10 320GB individual drives existing around. But it's just a lottery to receive such one

So pray before the change so that you get a silent HDD. I read that the Seagate 7200.10 HDDs which have a sticker over the drives motor spindle at the bottom of the HDD have a better chance of being a quite one. See this POST...

*forums.storagereview.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=22660&view=findpost&p=231763

OP
varkey

varkey

Journeyman
thank u for pointing me to that site. it seems that this particular drive is very noisy and even if i get it replaced there is very little chance i get a quieter one. also i read on seagate site that ull get a Factory repaired replacement so i may get a really bad one.

so i think i shud keep my current drive. the warranty is 5 years so if it gets worse ill get it replaced later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom