Questions regarding BitTorrent Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilhead_satish

In the zone
:arrow: Can BitTorrent(BT) downloads be paused and resumed like normal downloads?
:arrow: In Opera Tech Preview(got it thanx 2 this forum) in the Transfers Window in the bottom, it shows an incoming stream and an outgoing stream. More often than not, the size of the outgoing stream is larger than what i have recieved through that certain BT link. Can a BT download be carried out without sharing it with someone else?
Please do answer! :D

Biplav

In the zone
a torrent life exists on sharing.
it shud actually be made mandatory to share what u receive.
but since ppl are still on dialup., it wud be harsh on them.

No, i dont think u can entirely stop ur uploads.
yes u can reduce it.
and by no means shud ur uploads be allowed to exceeed ur download speeds when u are downloading a file.
this will slow ur download process.
i havent tried with opera though; but i wud recommend u to go for bit tornado.
its excellent and its fast,; is a bit on the heavier side when it comes to eating ur precious ram: but
does gr8 job for me

Yes it can be paused and resumed like normal downloads with resume supports, but sometimes
say u have downloaded 50mb: the next time u resume it might drop to 45 mb and begin from there.

devilhead_satish said:
:arrow: Can BitTorrent(BT) downloads be paused and resumed like normal downloads?
:arrow: In Opera Tech Preview(got it thanx 2 this forum) in the Transfers Window in the bottom, it shows an incoming stream and an outgoing stream. More often than not, the size of the outgoing stream is larger than what i have recieved through that certain BT link. Can a BT download be carried out without sharing it with someone else?
Please do answer! :D

1 YES

2 NO: Use Netlimiter to limit upload speeds to 1kb/s

3. Azureus is the best client. You can even download only certain files within a torrent.

Eg: While downloading a folder full of [edited] See I'm prioritising downloads within a download. So I'll have 2 episodes everyday in proper order, instead of waiting 5-7 days for the whole d/l to complete.

You'll take sometime to learn howto make the best use of Azureus. And also to discover many hidden features. trust me, it's worth the trouble.

[Edit:drgrudge]Watch your words. Dont post abt illegal stuffs or how you got them or wht to do with the same.

Cheers & Happy Leeching
-Keith

chinmay

Journeyman
Bit Comet works best on my connection though .. No use startin client war again :p .. we have had enough discussion about it on the forum

mAYHEM

Journeyman
I am using Hutch connection which usees a proxy 10.10.1.100:9401.it allows only single tcp port to be opened..can u please suggest me how to configure bittorrent client like azureus or bitcomet( as they only need one tcp port).I can currently download anything through http\ftp but not p2p :?

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
what i do is that i use sockscap + http-tunnel combo for tunnelling through proxy
but azureus doesnt work with this combo .. has anybody tried it?
bittorrent and bittornado clients work .. not azureus.

-----
alibi

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Do remember that if your sharing ratio is too low, you will be tagged as a Leecher and subsequently barred from accessing torrents from faster trackers.

Torrent flourishes on the premise of sharing. The more you share, the more you can download.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
alib_i said:
what i do is that i use sockscap + http-tunnel combo for tunnelling through proxy

-----
alibi
Any tutorial or can u plz tell me how to use it
Thanx

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Keith Sebastian said:
Azureus is the best client.
LOL... :lol: :lol: :lol: (your style of posting this :p)

Azureus uses java and that is not recommended in case you have a slow computer.

The Four top clients that I've used and liked are BitComet, torrentopia, BitTornado and ABC.
I guess the best way to find out the best client for you would be to try out each for a week or so and see which one has features/Interface that you like and runs well on your system. Why I say that you should try them out yourself is because for some reason some clients perform better on some systems than others, an example is Azureus, it runs perfectly well on my friend's PC but when I run it on mine it slows down the system. However I've known BitComet to perform better on most sytems and not using too many resources hence system doesn't slack.
Also one client may have feature(s) that may be more handy to you than other clients so its best if you try them all out and decide. For example I personally Like ABC's web interface, meaning you can add/control your torrents over the web which is handy if you're away from the PC...and its easy to setup and use(BitComet also has it but it takes some basic coding to get it working)...

So Take these things in account:
1. System resource
2. Interface u r comfortable with
3. Better speeds.

So I stopped calling any client as my favourite...

Keith Sebastian said:
You can even download only certain files within a torrent.
LOL :p

Who said? We can select the files in most of the client, in 95.24654654651498141648% of the clients.
All the popular clients supports that man:
bit comet
bit spirit
bit lord
bit tornado
etc..

devilhead_satish said:
Can a BT download be carried out without sharing it with someone else?
There are many leecher clients That I have come seen and even used.. but take my word for it, many trackers have them blacklisted.. so dont use them..

With bit comet , I have limited my upload to 3kbps and have reached 30kbps downlaods.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
mAYHEM said:
alib_i said:

-----
alibi
Any tutorial or can u plz tell me how to use it
Thanx
yeah . .there is .
Get P2P Working behind a Firewall

-----
alibi

Charley

Just Do It
devilhead_satish said:
Can u recommend some more BitTorrent software, cos i really didnt like the one in Opera

bittorrent and bit comet gives good speeds.

@Mayhem - U have to do a search in the forum, there are threads on tutorials as P2P, torrents, so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom