Questions about Intel P4 - Prescott 2.4 Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

caeser

Right off the assembly line
Hey ,
I am buying a new PC , and a few questions popped in my head after reading replies to my previous post (thx ppl. for the help and comments :) )
1 . Can someone tell me .... how does it matter if the Prescott 2.4 Ghz gets really hot when compared to a northwood p4 processor.... I mean , does the heat affect performance / life. .. or what??
2.Also , in what ways is northwood better than the Prescott ..... and in what ways is the Prescott better than northwood ??

Thanx,
Cheers,
Vishal

G

gxsaurav

2.4 GHz prescott is no faster then 2.4 Ghz Northwood with HT, besides the 2.4 GHz prescott does not have HT at all, stay away from it , buy a 2.4 GHz northwood if U want but not the prescott, they are useless over similer clock speed Northwood,

OP
C

caeser

i definitely would stay away from it bro .... it definitely doesnt sound good ....

but i am still curious ,and interested to know ..... how does heat affect the proccessor...... ?

i guess i'll also check up good 'ol www.google.com for it now....

anybody find / know the answer lemme know :)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
gxsaurav said:
2.4 GHz prescott is no faster then 2.4 Ghz Northwood with HT, besides the 2.4 GHz prescott does not have HT at all, stay away from it , buy a 2.4 GHz northwood if U want but not the prescott, they are useless over similer clock speed Northwood,

copy that

adding to it the prescott heats up badly. no performance diffrence :(

it was stated early that the new prescott architechture will show up its ability after the 4GHz mark....
but recent news states that intel has dropped the idea of taking prescott to 4GHz mark :(

*arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041014-4311.html

*news.com.com/Intel+kills+plans+for+4GHz+Pentium/2100-1006_3-5409816.html?tag=nefd.lede

so i suggest to buy a northwood . :D

ice

In the zone
Btw , i got a 2.8 prescott and it does have HT, atleast my 2.8 does.

It doesnt really heat up. runs at 50c idle and 60c load which is not much cause our proccys can go on upto 80c or so.

besides a guy on tech-arena, rave, runs is prescott 2.8 at 45c. HE just had to add another fan or something like that,

The prescott has 1mb cache compared to 512kb of northwood.. Am i right?

Now more cache does make a difference, ive seen my freind with the same gfx card as me but a 2.4 northwood play cs while dvd ripping, he got 60 fps while i got 95, I agree my proccy is a bit faster, but well ,

Ive seen the reviews etc, that the perf is not that great, etc, but it works for me. eh?

imgame

Broken In
I have 3.0 Ghz prescott ......no problems as of now ...i have tried overclocking it ....and i can go upto 3.43 Ghz ...thanx to asus P4C800-E ....but i don't need that much ...so m running it on normal speeds now -a -days .......so it works for me ...the temperature howers around 47 degress under normal usage and 57 degress on overclocking ...and have not faced any problems till now .......i have a case with two fans running

as far as benchmarking is concerned ...we have mixed views ...but one thing is for sure ...that it doesn't give the promising leap in performance compared to northwood ......and clearly loose in old instruction set from northwood .....

For a highly technical review of Prescott i would suggest to go to the link:=

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/prescott.html

mind u its "HIGHLY TECHNICAL" and if u r not familier with baiscs of CPU functioning and parameters u might get lost !

Now coming back to what "GXSAURAV" said that that 2.4 prescott does not have HT

besides the 2.4 GHz prescott does not have HT at all,

.....as far as i knew intel prescotts natively supports hyperthreading and thats what i could find on intel's website

intel website says :-

"Prescott is slated to be one of the first high-volume chips to be made using Intel's 90-nanometer process and incorporating Intel's Hyper-Threading (HT) Technology."

SOURCE LINK:-

*www.intel.com/labs/features/mi02031.htm

if u have any link saying that it doesn't support HT please give me ...

and i can't understand one thing if northwood can have HT why can't prescott for 2.4 GHz.....its nothing like they can't have HT support for 2.4 GHz.!

even i know that it was not a great to buy prescott myself but ....i had no other option ...with my budget limitation even an AMD64 rig was costing same(not less for 3000+ with the mobo i wanted) and i have to do lots of encoding works so i had to get this one .....moreover northwood is not available in market anymore (its being phased out )!

rohanbee

Padawan
Firstly, All Prescott chips support HT technology. I had a 2.8 prescott supporting HT getting very high temp. all the time. I added a bigger cabinet also with extra fan.
Now i have a 3.0ghz and have not experienced the problem since then.
There is a intel 2.4 supporting HT technology but it has L2 cache size of only 512kb and i think it does not suport the new generation of 915p 915g 925x mboards.

G

gxsaurav

2.4 Ghz Prescott is the only Prescott which doiesn't support HT, it was releaed as a value Precott, I have seen it

The extra Cahce doesn't matter if U can't even fill it

For a Northwood the threshold temprature is 71C after which is starts to decrese it's clock speed , to lower the heat, however for a northwood 60C is high while for a Prescott it is normal, while 81C is the threshold limit, take a look at the Intel Thermal Guidelines

The reason for me not recomending a Prescott over northwood, that not only it emits more heat then smilier clocked Northwoods but it also provides about the same performance so y go for a prescott

Now the big question, what heat does to with the CPU

Suppose a CPU is a car enginre, what happens, when the engine works it gets heated due to energy loss, electricl lose in the case of CPU, at a point the car enignes blasts as it cannot take any more heat & can't work so we use water cooled radioters for a car

Same goes for the CPU, if it goes beyond a limit of heat, it will die, although while reaching the threshold limit, the CPU automatically reboots, or shuts down, to prevent damage, but this excesive heat lowers the life of CPU just like it lowers the life of a Car engine.

rohanbee

Padawan
While i agree with all that you have said. There is something that i read a little while ago on a reveiw website which said that the Prescott at one time was slower than its equivalent Northwood brother (lets say for argument sake 2.8ghz) and now with motherboards/technology changing and so on so forth they are at par and eventuavally prescott will take over or as they put it get quicker than its northwood counterpart.......

Is this info true?? or is it some bs that intel wants to feed us[/quote]

G

gxsaurav

Prescott is still not faster then it's northwood counterpart below 3.6 GHz, however since there is no official 2.6 GHz Northwood, so we can't compare

If U getting the nre 9xx series chipsets from intel, then since they support only prescott or later (P4 EE, Galatin core ) U will fell a bit improvement in speed

But for the 2.4 GHz prescott which comes in Socket 478 which can be applied to Intel 865/875 chipsets, northwood is my choice then prescott

I remember that with the ATI RS300 chipset they said "It is prefered to use prescott"

More then that it's your mind, if U have already made your mind about Precott then I can't change it

rohanbee

Padawan
Here is an iteresting review about the Prescott vs Northwood heat issue:-

:arrow: *www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2026&p=4

Please do read and comment??

imgame

Broken In
thanx GX ....i checked it out .....u were right ...in fact i found out .....that as it has only 533 FSB ...with no HT ...here is the link

*www.theregister.co.uk/2004/02/24/intel_sneaks_out_2_4ghz/

so caser ....i think looking at it first of all it is "Prescott" and it has only 533 FSB ...so i won't suggest to u to go for it ...better go for northwood ...

Now GX i know what higher Temperature can do to CPU on Transistor level .....but my point is Northwood is hard to find these days ...almost nobody is selling them esply for higher clock freq say ...2.8 to 3.2 Ghz ...all u get is Prescott ...i searched hard ...i couldn't find any Northwood ...it seems intel has discontinued Northwood or going to .....i know atleast its not available in city like chennai ......i don't about other places !

G

gxsaurav

Northood has been discontinued about 1 month ago,

Now if U want northwood go for either 2.8 or 3 GHz, as for 2,4 GHz there is nonly prescott, however U can also get an old 2nd hand northwood for cheap

If gettin a new PC then I will say get a Athlon64 2800+ atleast of a Sempron 3000+ for value

imgame

Broken In
rohanbee said:
Here is an iteresting review about the Prescott vs Northwood heat issue:-

:arrow: *www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2026&p=4

Please do read and comment??

this was perhaps one of the most comphrehensive article i read about heating .....

this is really an interesting read .......and A MUST READ FOR PRESCOTT WOULD BE BUYER OR OWNER ...

esply the percent increase graphs tells a different story altogether ....though anadtech ppl didn't say anything about it .....and its really interesting to see what they offer ....!!

OP
C

caeser

Wow .... i checked the sites u people gave me .... pretty interesting stuff......
For a highly technical review of Prescott i would suggest to go to the link:=

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/prescott.html

i recommend everyone to check the site imgame gave ..... above...

its got the A - Z 's of a prescott!!....
nice job ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom