Questions about dbpoweramp Music Convertor and others...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ok so after searching alot of the threads here I came to the conclusion that dbpoweramp is a freeware which will allow me to convert wma -> mp3. Is this true? Cause I installed dbpoweramp from one of the cd's or dvds I get with mags and then tried converting a wma to an mp3. It then said it needed to download a plugin for the same. So I connected to the net and found something that said that it required a Powerpack which was for evaluation purposes only (30 days I think). Now is converting wma -> mp3 free? Ive read in similair threads that Microsoft does not allow converting wma -> mp3 but I finally was able to do so with the shareware version of Audiocommander. I tried Dr. Tagplus but I didnt sort of like its interface. Then I found somethign called rosfot on one of our cds/dvds and tried that but it seemed to have a trojan included in it :shock: . The main questions I have is

1. Is there any provision of converting wma -> mp3 freely (No popups, licenses , trial periods etc)?
2. If dbpoweramp MC is able to do this then why do I get proimpted to install a powerpack?
3. The reason I have many wma files is cause I used Windows media Player to rip Audio CDS to my system. However recently I got an MP3 Player and it doesnt support wma. Hence I had to convert all wma to mp3. Which I did with Audiocommander. is there a easier way to do this . Like can I rip to mp4 and then convert to mp3 easily? Could anyone recommend any software for that?
4. Is ripping to MP4 and then converting to mp3 the best option I have ( Quality wise , that is I dont want to notice any quality degrade or at least would like to minimize it)

If possible only recommend Freeware ... Thanks in advance

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
There is no free way to create mp3 files because of licensing issues though you can use Lame Encoders.
This is the reason why you are asked to install Powerpack. Also dMC cannot perform all the conversions itself. It always needs external codecs for this purpose.

The best option is to directly rip to mp3 using Winamp or Windows Media Player. Also you can rip directly to mp3 using dbPoweramp Music Converter.

In dMC for converting don't use Powerpack. Select your wma file as input

(for it download this encoder *www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/dBpowerAMP-codec-wmav91.exe - 5.58MB - for XP only
For other OS go to this page
*www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm
)

and for output use lame Encoder and you will be able to perform the conversion.

LAST UPDATED: 4:23PM IST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom