question regaring blocked ports of my ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegame_rulez

Journeyman
hi ppl,
i use 64 kbps cable net net4india here in mumbai.and i get speeds of 10-12 kbps while some of my frens get 50-60 kbps.. :shock: same connection.same ISP.ne ideas why?
also is there ne software which would help me to know which of the ports of my ISP are blocked and unblocked..

Thanx.

H

h4ck3r

hey ....

Try increasing the baud rate of your modem in your control panel by going to
START-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Modem-->Properties-->Maximum speed (set it to 115200) thats the maximum speed .. then tell me man...

always ready to help

theraven

Technomancer
first of all hes using broadband
so modem speed has nuthing to do with it
secondly the telephone linke only supports a theoretical max of 56.6 kbps
increasing speed from control panel will not help
lastly thats the port speed not modem speed

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Ok There are Lotta Factors For Ur Slow Connection Namely The Amount Of Shared Bandwidth,No Of Users Browsing and Downloadin,Possible Virus Attack And Quite some other factors too.....The Same Net connection and Isp Does not Mean Same Distribution of The Speeds To All Subscribers Mate :(

Btw Port Blocking Is Usually Done To restrict Certain downloads and Reduce Traffic And Even Virus and Hacking Attacks......Its Just a Safeguard Measure :wink: Use Port detective to Find Out Which Ports Are Blocked Or Not *www.portdetective.com/
Why Dont U try Contacting Ur ISp And Inquire About The Diff Between Ur Connection and Ur Friends Speed :)

OP
T

thegame_rulez

Journeyman
hi allwy,
well i did a google search of port detective and most reviews said that it is filled with spywares..:(
is this true?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
thegame_rulez said:
hi allwy,
well i did a google search of port detective and most reviews said that it is filled with spywares..:(
is this true?

Hmmm Now Even I Saw Mixed Reviews For It :?
But Dun Recommend It Though but If Out Of Curiosity U do Wanna Try it Out then the Only Way To Find Out Would Be To first Install It With a Perfect Spyguard That is And See if it Has Possible Threats :twisted:

Btw Will Try to Find Out Some Other Scanners If I can :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Ok Just Checked It Out.....Installed The Port Dtecteive 1.01 And The Ad-aware Is Still Detecting 27 And more Objects But Dun Know If They Were beacuse of This Software Or Not.....Cause It didnt show anything Else Getting Installed In The Add Remove Programs :( further more its a good utility for checking The Blocked Ports :D

CAUTION:Use It At Own Risk :twisted:

OP
T

thegame_rulez

Journeyman
hey allwy,
bad news..the result says all my prots r blocked..:(
now what?
i even tried 6881 which i use for torrent dwds..can i ask my ISp to unblock that port..will he agree ? :|

theraven

Technomancer
no he wont
it'll be against their "policy"
indian isp's are a pain in the ***
dont count on them
most of them open the ports in the night
if they dont .. tough luck
they wont listen to us :(

digen

Youngling
As far as I know your to request for open ports or not will solely be entertained at expense at the ISP's system administrators.
You can give it a try,you got nothing to lose. :lol:
Like my ISP[Airtel] has blocked the IRC port 6667 but upon request they do open it after a lot battering :twisted: but revert back usually after a few days. :cry:

OP
T

thegame_rulez

Journeyman
hmmm ..guys
i got this s/w called languard port scanner..wud someone have a look..it looks promising
so now my question is.. which ip do i scan? of my isp or my own?
what port range do i specify?
if i find ports open what do i do.. :shock: :roll:

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom