Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

In the zone
Hi all,

I have a broadband DSL connection & I have the following three objectives-

1. I need to share the connection to muliple computers
2. I need to do so wirelessly
3. I should not have to connect manually. I need an always on connection.

I figured out that, I can achieve all the above using an ADSL Wireless router. That is an ADSL modem & a wireless router in one box. I can configure the router so that whenever I turn it on, it will automatically log on & every PC connected to it will have access to the net.

What I want to know. Can I also achieve the same effect by using an ADSL modem & a separate broadband router ?. That is, my modem would connect to the router through a cat5 cable & all my PCs connect to the router. In other words, will the router dial & establish the connection through my modem?. Is such a setup possible?. Please help.

digen

Youngling
I'm not sure I've got you correct but dont most broadband modems cum routers do this?
Why do you want a separate router in the first place?Which ISP ?
Imho nearly most ISP's these days provide you a alternate modem cum router bundled in one option.
Just enquire with your ISP.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Well, I am going in for Dataone. I guess BSNL provides a SmartAX MT800 ADSL Modem.

I looked at a few ADSL wireless routers. They will fit my requirements perfectly. But they are a tad bit expensive. So I was wondering, if it is possible to go for the modem that BSNL provides & then add in a plain wireless router to provide wireless capabilities & autodialing (always on).

digen

Youngling
Sorry for replying late.
Yes that should work perfectly.I would strongly suggest keeping the ISP modem & go in for a ADSL 802.11g Wireless router.
This is exactly how my setup is right now.The router given by the ISP connects to the WAN port on the Wireless router.The wired systems are connected to the wi-fi router ethernet switch ports.While the wi-fi hosts roam about wirelessly.In case you want further help I'll draw a rough diagram of how the setup is.
Also incase you need suggestions on buying for the wi-fi router,dont hesitate.Will be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom