Question regarding Dualboot ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk85

Right off the assembly line
HIFolks I have a Intel P4,845GV Chipset, 80gb Hard disk, 256
MB HDDRAM ,2.4Ghz.My PC is running windows xp pro edition , i wan t to make my pc a dual booting one and want to install win 98and give 2 partitions win xp and win 98.can someon e tell me the whole procedure to do it. i want to do some project work on win 98.pls some one tell me how to make partition and the full procedure . pls.........

[Edited Batty] Edited to make the subject more relevant and post more clear ..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Unless I misunderstood what you want to do, the procedure is quite straightforward. Since you are already running a more advanced version of Windows (i.e. XP), you cannot install Win98 while running XP.

You have to start your computer in DOS mode to install Win98. You can do that by using a Win98 startup floppy disk or CD. You can then install Win98 to whatever partition you like. You will be given a choice of partition near the beginning of the installation process. You can even install it in the same partition as Win XP, though this is not recommended.

Kratos

Broken In
Backup your data before installation.

Windows 98 has to to be installed on Primary Partition. Create or get a startup disk for Windows 98. Reboot from this startup Disk. Run the setup for Windows 98. Install Windows 98 on primary partition (C:).

Once Windows 98 is installed then it is easy as you can run XP setup from Windows 98 GUI. Setup will ask to upgrade, instead, select Fresh Installation. Select a different partition for XP.

imprince

Journeyman
use fdisk to create partions of ur computer

boot fro cd or fd and give the comd fdisk , follows da steps ... make sure u have one primary partion and it should be an :arrow: active partion

and follow the step mentioned by :arrow: PIMPOM

it is better toinstall XP and 98 on diff.. partions :p

geek_rohit

In the zone
Don't just get stuck with 2 partitions. Make atleast 3 for a dual boot system. Keep all your files in the 3rd partition. Make the size of the 3rd partition bigger than the first two. Create swap files for both the OSes in the 1st partition. This will make the system a bit faster as the hard disk accesses the partition close to the center much faster
Also install win 98 first on the 1st partition and xp on the 2nd one. A general idea is to install the OSes chronologically. i.e. win95, first then comes win98, then xp and so on. further if u aren't happy with the partitions use the disk management utility in the computer management under administrator tools. Or use software like Partition Magic.

CAUTION: Always take backups of ur data before u mess up with ur partitions.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
well all have given their suggestion .. i think no further explaination but if still in problem then ask :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom