Question about Mandrake Linux....

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ok so Ive been playing around with Mandrake Linux for some time and I think Ive sort of learned to use it a bit . Now my real question is , Ive heard that if you use Mandrake Linux you dont actually learn alot ( I think I recall it from one of the Distro threads in the forums) . I know how to install mandrake and use the basic GUI interface and configure some of the options through the GUI , however will this suffice on any other Distro ? Id actually like to know more about using the command line arguments and learn more about the power of Linux. Although Im pretty much pleased with Mandrake as it allows me to do everything I need atm on this system, Im wondering if I should move on to a different distro? I have FC3 , Ubuntu, Yoper, Debian, PCQLinux2005, vector Linux, Knoppix (Games Knoppix to be exact) and Gentoo. Please ntoe Im a dial up user so downloading alot of packages isnt an option for me. Should I stick to the mandrake Install I have or should I try one of the other Distros I have with me. Also note that the system Im using this on is actually a dual boot machine with Windows Xp . Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

demoninside

In the zone
Hey,
dude rather then changing ur distro use CLI,
coz now all the linux support about each & every thing from GUI,
U don`t neeed to use a lot of CLI,

but if u r looking for CLI only go for FreeBSD,

but i Will personly suggest u to do ur work on CLI rather then doing it on GUI without changing ur distro

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The first thing that you need to understand is that all linux distro are basically the same, they have the same way of functionality and layout. They differ only in the way of layout and minor customisations. So if you know one distro well its very easy to adapt to any other setup. Mandrake Linux is a good distro and i would suggest that you stick with it learn the functionality and sharpen your skills on it. There is no point in shifting on ta any othe distro.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
The first thing that you need to understand is that all linux distro are basically the same, they have the same way of functionality and layout. They differ only in the way of layout and minor customisations

Thanks , just needed to confirm this .

Also another question about mandrake. It seems I cant get my Audio CDS to play ? When Mandrake starts up however it does play the startup sound that it has. XMMS Indicates that it is playing but there is no sound output.

Another one is , I have a External modem ( Wiprp Acer) Which connects to the COM port, after I try to Dial up using KPPP it seems to take a bit of time at the modem initializing stage and then waits for a minute or 2 before dialing , is there anywayto speed this up?

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ooops , Hmmm I just tried the same with Knoppix ( I wanted to check out Games Knoppix ) and found that i can play the cd only with XINE and not with KsCD or XMMS . ANy ideas as to what Im doing wrong or have not configured.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
For dialing try wvdial . I find its easer to use and its configration is also simple. Any error messages atc are also shown so if its getting stuck at any point you know where the problem is.

demoninside

In the zone
I think wvdial is not included in mandrake,
least i couldn't find it,
then got my ADSL modem & it was way too easy with KPPP, but check in option, where one option is wait for dail tone, remove it & then see is there any change,

nd if u can show ur log window might help me to check more......................

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
ADSL modem ....... KPPP i dont get it you use kppp on an adsl modem why? does the adsl moden not connect to the network card?
About wvdial download it its just 10K or so (if required).

demoninside

In the zone
Sorry for that i missed one line
* actully it was ,"It was way too easy to install ADSL modem & my external D-Link modem was way to easy with KPPP"
so sorry about that

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I think wvdial is not included in mandrake,
least i couldn't find it,

Yup thats right , I couldnt find it under Mandrake either, but atm after removing the wait for dial tone option it does seem a wee bit faster to connect using KPP .

As for the sound problem with playing cds I installed xine and now I can play those cds using XINE. Is this happening because the files are not MP3's and .cda files instead or is it somethign else?

The only thing that makes me sad is that when I was in US I purchased all my games for WIndows and I cant play them without Windows...or can I???

Ive heard of Wine , Is it possible to play these games using Wine or someother workaround..

Alsoi Ive seen many tutorials for desktop enhancements for WIndows. Anyone got any good links for Mandrake Linux? Also got any tutorials and interesting articles for tis distro... Please let me know :D

demoninside

In the zone
Yaar does it need to tell each & every time that emulation takes one hell of resources,
and as well as with it u need to be more specific when u talk about games,
coz they r totaly palteform driven,
yes u can play emulation games such as PS games on linux by installing PS emulator...

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Well how about games lIke MoHAA, Doom3 , Battlefield , Dall of Duty, GTA Vice City, Painkiller, Thief, Chessmaster, Rise of Nations, Civ 3 , Everquest, World of warcraft, Everquest 2 , Command and Conquer, Soldier of Fortune, Half Life, RTCW ..... Im pretty sure None of these are going to be playable, my question was mainly whether it was possible to use complex games( Not games like Doom I, Wolfenstein, etc) as the aboive on Wine at all or any other software?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Any way neither pppoe ar ADSL modem requires installatin. All you have to do is plug in the adsl modem output rj45 into the lan card and set default gw to the ip of the adsl modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom