Quest for Scares - Horror games discussion

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I've been playing Outlast but I feel too scared to play any further. Seriously, I never felt Amnesia or the Evil Within to be as scary as this. It's like it was purposely built in such a way as to exploit your fears. Limited visibility, loud noises when opening and closing the menu, etc.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I've been playing Outlast but I feel too scared to play any further. Seriously, I never felt Amnesia or the Evil Within to be as scary as this. It's like it was purposely built in such a way as to exploit your fears. Limited visibility, loud noises when opening and closing the menu, etc.
Yup, it is the most scary I found till date from all the Horror games I played. Players just need guts to proceed forward.
I don't remember how I gathered so much courage to complete it 100%.

But a huge shout out to the Devs of Outlast for making the game so much scary. In this game even if you Roam outside of building the scare factor is not reduced. And Damn those batteries get drain so fast.

*www.t3.com/features/scariest-games-ever-10-of-the-best

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Frictional Games accounce their next game.

Amnesia: Rebirth

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Finished Resident Evil 2 remake twice. Will try to finish it two more times before retiring the game. It is scary but after a while you kind of get used to it and it stops being scary. Most of the scare comes from when you are new and don't know where all the zombies and monsters are. Then there is Mr. X who stalks the building looking for you and he is unkillable, so you will spend a good portion of the game listening for his footsteps and trying to guess where he is and try to stay away from him. Kind of like the Xenomorph in Alien Isolation. But story wise and gameplay wise it's a pretty solid game.

Thinking of playing FEAR as I heard a lot of good reviews on it.
FEAR is more action oriented, so it's not that scary. Though there are a few good jumpscares now and then.

Zangetsu

Yup. If want good scare then play Resident Evil 7. The first FPS genre and the first true horror game in RE Series.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
AAAs generally want to maximize profits and horror isn't exactly s profitable genre. That's what happened to Dead Space.

Even the recent remakes of Resident Evil games is because Capcom is banking on sales due to nostalgia. I bet RE4 remake is also on the way.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
AAAs generally want to maximize profits and horror isn't exactly s profitable genre. That's what happened to Dead Space.

Even the recent remakes of Resident Evil games is because Capcom is banking on sales due to nostalgia. I bet RE4 remake is also on the way.

Recent Remake of RE isn't a horror game, Original can be classified as a horror game. Recent remake is too Hollywood to be scary.
My personal opinion

Alien Isolation is an example of a AA game, me thinks btw.

Zangetsu

AAA cannot do horror, except for very few.
Depends on the developers how much they want to scare the gamers...
RE 7 is most acclaimed in Horror genre.
Outlast is the king of horror games. Though there are many good Indie Horror games.
I heard the recent Blairwitch game is also has good horror

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Depends on the developers how much they want to scare the gamers...
RE 7 is most acclaimed in Horror genre.
Outlast is the king of horror games. Though there are many good Indie Horror games.
I heard the recent Blairwitch game is also has good horror

Haven't played the Blair Witch game but from the videos I've seen the story deviates from the supernatural to the protagonists personal story a bit too much. That kind of spoils the premise.

Recent Remake of RE isn't a horror game, Original can be classified as a horror game. Recent remake is too Hollywood to be scary.
My personal opinion

Alien Isolation is an example of a AA game, me thinks btw.

IDK, I found it pretty scary in the beginning. RE2 at least, haven't purchased the RE3 remake. When I used to hear Mr. X's footsteps, I used to hide and try to find out where he is before moving. If everything is silent, I would still stand still trying to see whether it comes back. Plus the limited ammo used to put pressure on me because I don't know when I will have to face the next zombie. But once I figured out where everything is, I can now zoom through the game pretty quickly. So, now it's not so scary.

RE3 does look like a action movie though with the dodge mechanics and automatic weapons.

But I'd still put RE2 on the same level as Alien Isolation, if a but shorter.

Zangetsu

Hey guys,

Try this Horror game Cold World.
Its a Demo game made in 2018. But I don't know why the full version is not released yet :(

Graphics is damn good.

*www.rockybytes.com/cold-world

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hey guys,

Try this Horror game Cold World.
Its a Demo game made in 2018. But I don't know why the full version is not released yet :(

Graphics is damn good.

*www.rockybytes.com/cold-world
Downloaded but the setup is like 2 MB only. I think it will download the rest of the game. Will try it out next time I boot windows.

Top Bottom