Queries regarding O2, EDGE and OSes

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishek_del

Journeyman
I am deciding to buy an O2...either XDA atom or XDA stealth but I need to know some things from experienced users.

How is the after sales service in India...? Should I go for XDA atom where half the ppl are extremely happy and other half is extremely disappointed?. (CNET user reviews) *asia.cnet.com/reviews/handhelds/0,39001703,39095540p,00.htm But I reckon no Indian reviewer there.

I read some reviews where ppl complaining that their office which deals with XDA is in Delhi only..but I am a resident of Delhi so thats not a problem for me.

And whether EDGE really helps in Airtel network...they say their network supports EDGE.??

ANd when will 3g come to India?

And which OS is better Symbian or Windows Mobile?

Windows looks cool to me but I haven't used it so don't know.
And should I go for a phone with wondows mobile 6.0 only or 5 is also okay keeping in mind that windows only supports 65k colors.

Nokia's pdas like e61i and e62 etc...are too bulky...

And is it okay or not a big problem typing emails thru touchscreen where qwerty is missing like in XDA Stealth.
Any other phone ppl can suggest...my budget is 20k...my main need is edge, qwerty, good processor, 3g wud help, camera, wlan..

Thanks

Last edited:

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
airtel EDGE is really helps you to get more speeds than simple GPRS, in GPRS you get 5-6kBps max, but in EDGE you can get 19-20kBps max and 15kBps avg.
have no experience about windows mobile

Pat

Beyond Smart
Airtel supports Edge and you can expect speeds around 10 kbps on it..Not more than that! Both Windows and Symbian have their pros and cons.But having used both the platforms, I would definitely recommend Windows Mobile based phones..

In your budget, HTC Touch is the best option! Dont go for Atom is you plan to do a lot of smsing and emailing.Believe me typing using touchscreen keyboard is a PITA! Better stay away from it..

Go for HTC touch is my advice!

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Nokia E61i is actually perfect for you. Its not that bulky and a lot slimmer than E61. With Airtel EDGE you can get 20 KBps.

OP
A

abhishek_del

Journeyman
Not more than that! Both Windows and Symbian have their pros and cons.But having used both the platforms, I would definitely recommend Windows Mobile based phones..

but any probs regarding the viruses in windows mobile. And the processor is a bit on lower side on htc, 200Mhz...n hows the brand...very low advertising in India and brand value...anything u know about the after-sales?
HTC is devoid of keyboard..I wud like to have a keyboard...is nokia e61i the only option?

Pat

Beyond Smart
WM is as vulnerable to viruses as Symbian! So dont worry about that! Dont have any idea about the after-sales service coz I never had to use it :)

HTC was not so popular few years ago.Everybody just knew imate , O2 etc. What many people dont know is that most of the phones released under imate, O2 , Dopod etc. brands are actually manufactured by HTC! And HTC is now a very popular brand in India, so after-sales service should not be a problem!

And as I said earlier, if you plan to do a lot of texting or mailing, stay away from one without hardware keyboard! If you increase your budget a bit, you can get HTC Touch Dual which has a keyboard too!

OP
A

abhishek_del

Journeyman
ok..thanks for your valuable suggestions. Theres a mobile expo starting this Sunday 2nd March at Pragati Maidan...I will be attending that...will see more of the phones there.

U r right that using touchscreen its difficult to type.

How good are balckberries? Most of them I think which fall in my budget don't have a camera...And I am bound to one network only.

Last edited:

hayabusa_ryu

Journeyman
Hello Abhishek,
My brother has given me a window based mobile(aka pocket pc) and the name is I-mate JASJAM. I'm using it from just two or three days so I cannot give u much details. I don't know the price but it is very good. If it is in ur budget then go and have a look for it. Some specs are:_
processor : Samsung 400MHz,
ram : 64mb,
xpansion card : microsd
and have touchscreen with slider keyboard and have GPRS, 3G, EDGE, Infrared and is wifi enabled and have Window media player 10.

hash!!

________
the stealth doesnt have a qwerty keyboard... it has a numeric keypad, which, i've heard is good for only dialling numbers because windows mobile doesnt natively support the same sms-ing format like that in other mobile phones...
but if you're worrying about typing out e-mails and text messages, trust me, you'l love it... initially you'l be confused, but once you get a hang of it, you'l be able to type out everything in hardly any time... most windows mobile os phones dont have hardware qwerty keyboards, because they have an onscreen keyboard, which is very easy to use, coupled with the gesture shortcuts for line break, space or back-space...
as for viruses, i've been using a pocket pc since the past 1 year, and i've filled it up with lotsa stuff, and i even use the internet, but i've never had a virus problem.. so i dont think you need to bother about viruses...
as for a processor, get anything with an intel xscale processor thats 400ghz or above...
try getting a phone with decent ram... usually you'l get 64mb, but if you get anything more than that in your price range, go for it..
otherwise, htc is also a good brand... :)

OP
A

abhishek_del

Journeyman
Hi! Thanks hash 4 ur reply. I have purchased Asus M530w pocket pc from mobile expo at pragati maidan for 18000. I am in hostel now, so not felt it yet.(mom got it for me).

Its a new phone so not many reviews were available but it has got everything like edge,wifi,bluetooth powered by intel 400Mhz having win mobile 6 n other features. I am waiting to get my hands on it. I will return on holi to see it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom