Quake 4 freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shloeb

In the zone
I am playing Quake 4 at med settings at 800x600 with shadows turned off. The gameplay is very smooth. But at certain points the game just freezes. The sound plays in the background but the picture just freezes. Sometimes it comes out of this. But sometimes a blue screen comes "Windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to ur computer." The file involved is nv4_sp.dll. I know its a file in the nvidia drivers. My rig is:
3.0 p4 ht
512MB DDR RAM
FX 5200 oc @ 290/419

I know some of u might say that my ram is not sufficient or my gpu is crappy. But even at the lowest settings at 640x480. Sometimes this happens. Otherwise the game moves at 40+ FPS all the time.

Stalker

Padawan
yeah, update ur DirectX & video drivers.

i've played Quake 4 earlier on a FX5200 with 384 system RAM @ 640 low....at about 20-30 fps. No crashes!

OP
Shloeb

Shloeb

In the zone
Directx is fully updated and the drivers are 91.31 version. Are they not enough? I have dialup :(

neerajkumar_4

Journeyman
directx oct 07 release? i think this is the driver for FX series.. the version is 163

*www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.75.html

it says WHQL certified driver for GeForce FX, 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.

its compatible!! get 163.75 check the link! :)

Last edited:

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Its due to the reason you have overclocked the card.290 is too much for the card if a fan is not installed just below its heatsink.

OP
Shloeb

Shloeb

In the zone
Possible. I even tried after lowering down the clocks. Even then the game freezes sometimes. Now i think i am left with the option of updating the drivers.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
id bet on the fact that your graphics card is not able to maintain the overclock...

try using it at stock speeds or even lower and check......

OP
Shloeb

Shloeb

In the zone
I have asked my friend to download them for me. It'll take some time as he's having some problems with bsnl.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
1. Its a OpenGL Game. (not Direct3D)
2. It uses OpenAL Audio. (not DirectSound)
3. DirectX doesn't quite matter, it just for DirectInput.

I'd suggest you to upgrade to the latest Graphics Drivers, 163.xx something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom