PSP processor capped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
PSP processor capped

According to breaking internet reports, one third of PSP's processing power is currently sitting idle, capped by Sony to ensure a healthier battery life.

While the specification of Sony's new handheld states the machine has a 333mhz capable processor sitting beneath its cool-looking exterior, the machine has been capped to just 222mhz, according to a Sony America representative speaking at the Games Developers Conference in San Francisco last month.

But why?

This is something of a mystery, with popular opinion suggesting Sony capped the full potential of the machine simply to spare battery life, which does ring true when you consider that PSP's battery life was one of the most talked about features of the machine preceding its Japanese launch.

Further speculation suggests Sony will release a new, revised PSP package later in the handheld's lifespan, which will feature an uncapped processor and a battery capable of dealing with the extra processing load.

Read more over at Games Radar

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
hmmm that means psp has more to offer . will be on its max when the next verion comes with a long lasting and better battery to run it on 333mhz .

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Yea give Sony some time. This is the first bunch. They will soon come out with a new generation PSP with some added features. So, if the processor is capped right now and we can see how well it performs, imagine what will happen with a 50% speed boost.

supersaiyan

In the zone
well my opinion of the psp is that its just a ps2 which u can carry around very easily. if i had a choice between the psp and ps2 i would buy the ps2. because i wouldn't buy an expensive version of the ps2. neways i think that nintendo rules the handheld market and will for a next few years.

sandeeprao

Broken In
hey guyz do you know the prices of the PSP.or from where i can get it in INDIA. i think its not available here,is it>??

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
17,000 to 23,000 INR in the grey market and as listed at Ebay India. I think it's available in the grey markets of B'lore and Delhi.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Nope not yet. But maybe, you can hack it to use Wi-fi and make internet phone calls. Now that would be an interesting application indeed!!!!

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
A phone call? That means including cell phone capabilities. What I gather from talking to some people, they might be more intrested in the PSP featuring PDA capabilities.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Yeah, it IS made for gaming. We are just discussing what all possible features can it possibly integrate to make it a an all-round performer.

devilhead_satish

In the zone
We dont want it to be another N gage please. Let it be 4 the Gamers. Adding a phone would be making it more cubersome. And you'd start expecting smartphone features inside it. And then a camera. But saar i want bluetooth and FM too. And the list is endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom