PS2 or xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthik_rcs

Broken In
Hello Friends,
I am planning to buy a game console for my cousin. Can anyone please tell me which one to go for. People say to go for modded box.
1.Can anyone in chennai from the groups please post the details about the vendors in chennai.
2. Which is better regarding the cost, features.etc..
I dont know whether can i post this question here or in games forum, hence seeking apologize if this is posted in wrong forum.
Thanks in advance.
Karthik

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
i guess u should post it in Gamerz section...but lemme c if i can help ya out :wink:

going by pure hardware specs, the Xbox is far better...but the PS2 has a huge library of games...PS2 games r much more readily available too...also, the main attraction 4 the Xbox is Xbox Live which isnt available in India...cost wise i think they might b the same...well that's all i can say :p now i hand over the stage 2 the console owners 2 help u out :lol:

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Well, technically, this should be in the Gamerz forum and by the end of the day, I suppose it will be moved there. But like Nemesis said, its tricky. The PS2 has an amazingly exhaustive library of games, especially since it can play PSOne games also. And the genres that are available for play on it are also pretty extensive. But then it was never meant to be a console for FPS games, even though some FPS titles release on it. On the other hand, the XBox is purely geared towards people who prefer FPS/TPS extreme-action games, and even though the library of games are small compared to the PS2, its still great for an FPSer. Plus, if you like multiplayer, you can play online on the PS2 here, but there's not a chance for using the XBox Live feature in India, like Nemesis said. So, its really up to you. :D

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Again my 50 cents contribution here.....PS2 definetly Boss....No thinking back as the Game Library and Visual Exprienece it Holds will leave ya begging for more :wink:
It Costs arnd 10k whereas the Modded Xbox Will cost ya anywhere from 14-15k....Also the Xbox titles are far less achieveable in India (forget about the Legal Copies as barely some shops own em.....Pirated too have almost the similar story).....A Modded Xbox will mean U can Play Back-up copies of The Xbox game titles :) Also PS2 Has built-in 5.1 support for surround sound and the Xbox needs Separate a Av-Pack i suppose :(

But the graphics and resolutions of Xbox are far superior to PS2.Also The Xbox Live feature will be a big concern for Xbox titles in India.So My Vote too Goes for PS2 :wink:

Modsss plzzz move the Thread to Gamerz Section :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
karthik_rcs said:
Can anyone in chennai from the groups please post the details about the vendors in chennai.
Hmm...it will be avialble at
Toyskemp,Nungambakam (next to isphani center and opposite to landmark)

And ps2 can get brought at sony world (4-5 center at chennai, at chetpet, Abirampuram, T nagar, Anna salai).

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmmm, but if you buy it at Sony World, the PS2 will cost you 14k and you will have to get it modded yourself. Better look at some shops on Ritchie St. for a pre-modded PS2 for around 12k. Just remember to take a DVD-Video disc and an Audio CD disc with you and make sure you test that they are both working properly (the PS2 games will work anyway) before you plop down the cash. If the DVD-Video doesnt work or if the Audio CD stutters or shows a DRE (Disc Read Error) throw the PS2 back at the dealer's face and look for another one. Do not buy it at Sony World unless you do not want to get it pre-modded and would rather have your warranty and the legal PS2 PAL games.

abhijeet_ghosh

Journeyman
allwyndlima said:
...Also PS2 Has built-in 5.1 support for surround sound and the Xbox needs Separate a Av-Pack i suppose...
That isn't true at all. The Ps2 has only stereo (no surround, no 5.1) sound while it is the Xbox that has 5.1 Dolby Surround sound.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hmmm yea AFAIK, the PS2 doesnt have 5.1 support...the Xbox does, but u need the advanced AV Pack 4 it...and an optical cable too...

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Well as far as I think => East or West PS2 is the best !!!
Simpliy because of the amount of games it has and because of one special thing => THE I TOY

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
abhijeet_ghosh said:
That isn't true at all. The Ps2 has only stereo (no surround, no 5.1) sound while it is the Xbox that has 5.1 Dolby Surround sound.

*deephousepage.com/smilies/conf45.gif *deephousepage.com/smilies/banghead.gif Sheeezzz Goof up pal.....Yes The PS2 has just got the Mono And Stereo Option whereas The Xbox has built in Dobly 5.1 support :wink:

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Actually, I have a slim PS2 and it very well supports built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 as well as dts via the Optical Audio Out port. So, allwyndlima, you can stop banging your head. Time to let abhijeet_ghosh take over. :)

[lokesh]

Journeyman
Moreover XBOX features an in built Hard disk of 10 GB, so there won't be any necessity to buy memory card to store saved games as in the case of PS2 It also features better graphics than the PS2, so XBOX is a must. Only thing is the number of games available for XBOX is only around 500, but then, there are some very good games like HALO 2...

mamba

In the zone
with a little bit of moddin frm ur own side , u can do wonders with the xbox . but it aint the case with ps2 -
:arrow: add upto a 120 gb 5400 rpm HDD
:arrow: can make it work as a linux pc
:arrow: s/w like xbox media centre allow u 2 play every n ne type of media file ( divx , xvid , quick time .... )

n o fcourse , it has better graphics , can support 5.1 channel n HDTV

btw theres a thread bout 'ps3 or xbox2' , in which i said m goin 2 buy xbox soon ( n more so coz i got a sony HDTV :D )

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Other members have pointed out a few advantages the X-box has over the PS2
:arrow: better graphics
:arrow: better for FPS games
:arrow: X-box live service
:arrow: some good games like halo

Okay so the X-box has better graphics. But the X-box live service isn't available in India and most likely will never be. The X-box is NOT better for FPS games. As a matter of fact FPS's suck on all consoles. The keyboard/mouse combo is the only effective way to play FPS's. Halo is probably the only good reason to buy the X-box, but the PS2 has several better games.
And remember all GTA game will come out first on PS2. The GTA series totally kicks Halos ass.
GTA rules!!!

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
enoonmai said:
Actually, I have a slim PS2 and it very well supports built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 as well as dts via the Optical Audio Out port. So, allwyndlima, you can stop banging your head. Time to let abhijeet_ghosh take over. :)

Awwww....Prof why is it always that u make it in time to save my A$$ :lol:
anyways i havent yet experienced the specs of Slim Ps2 so i cant comment on it.....but the old one was sure not supportin of 5.1 surround......btw i had this strange feelin behind my back that i had heard about ps2 supportin DTS surround for some games,So guess this is where Slim version powers itself up :wink:

Ahhh now my head feels better abhijeet are u willing to take over buddy :D

quake99

Right off the assembly line
X-Box can be better than PS2 at FPSes. Though ps2 has a huge library of games, x-box is not far behind.....Not to forget the x-box live service.... mind blowing... I would prefer the x-box over the ps2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
quake99 said:
X-Box can be better than PS2 at FPSes. Though ps2 has a huge library of games, x-box is not far behind.....Not to forget the x-box live service.... mind blowing... I would prefer the x-box over the ps2
Hey dude what do even hough you said that "X-Box can be better than PS2 at FPSes" so what is the advantage ???
I mean FPsec of PS2 is set to get best of gaming experience !!!
Who needs fast improper amount of FPsec !!!

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
rachitboom2 said:
quake99 said:
Hey dude what do even hough you said that "X-Box can be better than PS2 at FPSes" so what is the advantage ???

what is FPsec??? r u thinking abt frames per second??? quake99 is talkin abt First Person Shooters, and not the Frame Rate...although i can definitely say that games look better on the Xbox than they do on the PS2

@quake99: the problem with the Xbox is that Xbox Live is not available in India...so Xboxes in India dont have that advantage...also, Xbox games r hard 2 find...so in that scenario, the PS2 becomes a better option...

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Nemesis said:
rachitboom2 said:
quake99 said:

what is FPsec??? r u thinking abt frames per second??? quake99 is talkin abt First Person Shooters, and not the Frame Rate...although i can definitely say that games look better on the Xbox than they do on the PS2

@quake99: the problem with the Xbox is that Xbox Live is not available in India...so Xboxes in India dont have that advantage...also, Xbox games r hard 2 find...so in that scenario, the PS2 becomes a better option...
Thanks for telling me !!! :wink:

abhijeet_ghosh

Journeyman
I think you should go for the PS2 if you are more into platformers like Ratchet and Clank and the Xbox if you are more into action games like Halo. The rest of the genres are the same on both consoles. So, it's a matter of personal choice.

Also, don't listen to people who say you should buy the PS2 as it has a huge library of games coz you aren't gonna buy each and every game available for the PS2, only the good ones. So check out the games available for both consoles and buy that console whose games appeal to you the most. In my case it was the Xbox.

The reasons why I bought the Xbox are as follows:

a) Plethora of quality games specially action, FPS and RPGs like Halo 1 & 2, Fable, KOTOR I & II, Ninja Gaiden (tell me games exclusive to the PS2 that can match NG or Halo, and no DMC and Killzone don't even come close) etc.

b) Better graphics and sound quality.

c) Presence of a hard drive which eliminates the need of memory cards unlike the PS2 (which BTW aren't cheap and have a tendency to get corrupted). I have never had to delete a single game save ever on the Xbox. Heck, I still have the saves of games that I don't have with me anymore. Also, you can store music on the hard drive and listen to them in game. All this and I still have 4 GB left. The hard drive also makes loading of games much faster. Sample this, GTA:VC takes 90 secs and 9 secs to load on the PS2 and the Xbox respectively.

d) The crazy stuff you can do with a modded Xbox. Install a bigger Hard Drive, run linux, install XBMC to turn your xbox into a complete Media Center etc. Just check out xbox-scene.com.

e) Halo...period

If you want more details to help you, check out the following links for the reviews of the consoles on GameSpot.

Xbox
*hardware.gamespot.com/Microsoft-Xbox-9399-O-4-4?tag=gs_lnav_whatisxbox

Playstation 2
*hardware.gamespot.com/Sony-PlayStation-2-9398-O-4-4

Personally, I wouldn't buy a console at this time because their Next-Gen versions are due out soon (atleast the next version of the Xbox is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom