PS2 as DVD player? how good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d00by

Broken In
Does PS2 work as a good DVD player?

Or should I buy a stand alone dvd player? If yes, what is the best that I can buy in delhi considering both economy and quality?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hmmm...Buddy if you are thinking about using the Playstation 2 just for the DVD player then I strongly recommend a stand alone DVD-Cum-Divx Player instead of a PS2.DVD players like the Philips DVP642k or Mitashi Divx-999/555 are easily available in the 5k price range.Though if you want both gaming and watch DVD Movies as a all-in-one package then the Playstation 2 will be a good choice.Then again you'll need purachse a separate DVD remote control kit for it which is again a tedious task(Not to mention its availibilty out here in India).IMO a stand alone DVD player will be best for your regular DVD needs.:D

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hells_Fury said:
You dont need the DVD remote. The normal PS2 controller itself is enough.
LOL! Tell me whats more convinient according to you,A Wireless Remote control of a PS2/A Stand Alone DVD Player OR the operation via that wired PS2 controller?

Hells_Fury

In the zone
I meant that its not mandatory to have a remote control for the PS2.

@d00by - The PS2 is primarily a gaming console. The DVD playback is just an additional feature. If you are looking for just a DVD player then buy a standalone player. I think philips has stopped production of the DVP642k, but if its still available go for it.

coolendra

Neil is Here...
Hey guys ..someone was saying that PS2 plays only golden dye DVDs whc is pretty much rare to find here

will it read those silver dyed discs........ ????

plz comment !!!!

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
coolendra said:
Hey guys ..someone was saying that PS2 plays only golden dye DVDs whc is pretty much rare to find here

will it read those silver dyed discs........ ????

plz comment !!!!
Depends as to how they have been backed up.Most of the modded console's flawlessly detect the games on both Gold as well as Silver based Media.Apparently my friend who owns a PS2(Slim Version) has only got the Silver plated bases which play without any hitches so far.:D

arorohit

Broken In
Not A Pleasent Experience

I bought my PS2 2 years back which is model no SCPH - 50004. My main motive was games but i did considered watching DVD movies on that. From gaming point of view i simply adore it as it has bring some colors in my life. Really ! But watching DVD on it has not been a pleasent experience. I first tried to played Kal Ho Na Ho. It played flawlessly half of the time but then it started showing movies like a powerpoint presentation. I meant to say that there were some hiccups while playing the movie. I thought there was some problem with the DVD, hence i tried to play it on one of my friends DVD Player and it ran smoothly there. After that i tried playing more some DVDs (All of them original). Some played smoothly and some with as usual hiccups. Since Then i havnt used my PS2 for DVD movies. I rather watch them on DVD drive. Audio CDs on PS2 run without any problems.

So my suggestion would be to treat PS2 just as a wonderful game machine. On another hand its just a mediocre DVD Player. Go for some branded name while purchasing a DVD Player like Phillips, LG, Samsung etc.

Hells_Fury

In the zone
Ive watched many movies on my PS2 and i havent faced any problems so far. The play flawlessly. Yours must be a rare case.

Panluma

Right off the assembly line
Playing DVDS :shock:
Itz a pain in da a$$ (@least on mine..Model 70004.....)
It doesnt even try da golden media one's...but fortunately playz da silver ones widout hiccups :)...... :roll: ....better get a standalone one man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom