proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyCo

In the zone
i need to know what all proxies are open in my college as we have to try diff ones to cnnect to the net ..
what software can i use ??

what exactly is a proxy and a port ?? and i have a hub or a switch in my room which connects two floors in LAN .. what else can it do .. some comp guy came a month back and said that the thing in my room is a switch coz it has an ip ?? it is just a box on the wall which has rows of wires connected systematiclly .. the same wire i use to plug into the lan ...
can u explain wat exactly this is ??

D

dinesh_singh

have you ever told a friend of urs to call for attendance or proxy for you(when u need to go with ur gf and the same time u are low an lectures.)
the same way when uare connected to internet....your isp gives you a dynamic ip address.as if u need a letter from ur friend he must have ur address...same way if u want datad from a site it needs ur address.
so ip provided by isp is highly traceable.go to showmyip.com and u will get to know ur ip and ur isp with some more info.but if you want to be annoymous...you can set a proxy or proxy server which is annoynomous so that u are not traceable.and ports are the gateway from which data comes and go out of ur system.

for ur second qs.....plz send detailed data.....about the switches and hub.

may be its the hub whic amplifies the signal..or may be anything else.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
i have this box in my room in which all these wires are connected .. some say its a hub , some say its a switch ..how do i kno .. its just has lotsa wires connected in it with the room nos written and all ....

the other thing is that i wanna kno is that we use some proxy addresses like 10.10.1.2 etcetc to connect to the net and the port is 3128 .. how do i find more ip's like 10.10.1.2 etc ???

digen

Youngling
To distinguish a hub from a switch apart from the usual huffs & puffs that is written on them you could install a network protocol analyzer like Ethereal & analyze the packets.
Depending upon the result you could make out the difference easily.
A frame will flood through all ports irrespective of the type of frame it is.
Switches analyze & process only through the specified/required port unless its a broadcast frame.

About your second query I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for?

anomit

In the zone
In the second one he seems to say that there are quite a few proxies in his college and he wants to find out about them. But I dont know why he has to find them out. He can always enquire the authorities about it.

how do i find more ip's like 10.10.1.2

You can't find IPs like 10.10.1.2 on the Inetrnet which is a public domain. That address seems weird 'cuz its in the network concerning only the college.

digen

Youngling
You cant seem to find that address on the internet because its a private address.Private addresses are meant to be used for private purposes.NAT or a Proxy server is used to map private address to public address & vice versa.
10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255

The original author could ping sweep the subnet which he is on.Its way easier to just ask the administrator about other proxy servers residing on the network for optional use.

anomit

In the zone
Well, I know about the ping command and its various parameters. But what it is this ping sweeping?

digen

Youngling
Code:
 A ping sweep (also known as an ICMP sweep) is a basic network scanning technique used to determine which of a range of IP addresses map to live hosts (computers). Whereas a single ping will tell you whether one specified host computer exists on the network, a ping sweep consists of ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) ECHO requests sent to multiple hosts. If a given address is live, it will return an ICMP ECHO reply. Ping sweeps are among the older and slower methods used to scan a network.

More..

Basically something similar to scanning a network using a port scanner such as Nmap.In simple words pinging multiple hosts simultaneously.

anomit

In the zone
Another thing please.....

Can I use pakcet sniffers such as Ethereal and PacketMon to gain some more info from the ping and tracert commands? On which ports do these two work? (i.e. the two commands)

digen

Youngling
Yes you could analyze how each works & with a little practise easily determine their working.
Actually by studying packets you can even identify problems in your internal network.
Let me warn you though,there arent just ping,tracert commands & their output to learn there are a large number of protocols & metrics

I had my internal lab network all haywire at the time of writing so consider this for an example
Pinging a site such as www.oobertech.net yields captures taken from Ethereal

*img249.echo.cx/img249/4571/icmp7qe.th.jpg

The above shows a lot of information about which source port,destination port,Type of Frame,Type of protocol & most importantly replies to the each ping query.Although the capture was w.r.t internet activity,it can be used to solve & understand problems related to the internal network.

To sum it all up it can reveal a wealth of information.I dont have a hands-on experience with Packetmon,but Ethereal is one helluva analyzer to have in your toolkit.

anomit

In the zone
Ok, now I understood the logic behind ping sweeping. Its almost similar to port scanning except that it scans for a range of IP addresses and instead of looking for open ports, it scans for responding or non-responding IP addresses. I found out quite a few of such softwares after googling. In case of cyco he can use such programs and just scan the network by entering the range of IP addresses like 10.10.xx.xx to 10.12.xxxx(or whatever)

Correct me if I have gone wrong

digen

Youngling
Yeah.Consider pinging a single host,its nothing but ECHO Request/Reply.Now consider pinging say 100 hosts simultaneously depending upon the hosts/alive dead you would get that many replies.

Port scanning is slightly on a different level.With methods such as stealth scanning the inner workings are different.

digen

Youngling
Dude I seriously dont understand why you just dont ask the administrator ? That would be a straight forward & simple afaik.
The trouble you are taking here just doesnt end here.After ping sweeping you've to find which host is actually the proxy server other than the one you are using right now. :?
Anyways a simple google string ping+sweep yields what you want in the first link of that page.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
i dont ask the admin coz in the collg nothin wrks that way .. it wd just b easier to find out ...

another 2 ques

we all r connected in LAN .. recently wat happ is that sum1 got into my comp and went to my keylog file .. got my emailid pass frm that and changed it .. wat i wanted to kno is how the hell did he access my comp [i had just changed the passw so he cdnt have known that ...]... he also erased all his traces frm the keylog [entries from 2 to 5 pm were missin]

ne clues ??

the other thing is that since arnd the same time this happ if ne1 whos comp is on the lan goes to
start-run-types cmd and enter .. whatever u enter it doesnt recognize as a valid command ..
but i went to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and made a shortcut .. in that all the commands wrk fine ..
ne idea y this happ ??

digen

Youngling
I actually seems to have you there.What exactly do you mean by a "keylog" file?
Do you have a key-logger already installed on your machine for logging purposes?
If so which keylogger is that you've installed?

As for the second query check I believe it has got something to do with the path for cmd.exe under the Environmental variables.Lemme dig it up for you.

bharat_r

In the zone
just seeing the topic's name,I'm asking a question.

Is proxies 100% foolproof.

For example...I download some illegal software(unknowingly) but I have the habit of using proxies.

Can the anti-piracy people find me?

because showmyip.com shows my real IP & also the proxy!
I thought it must show only my proxy & not my real IP.

digen

Youngling
Is proxies 100% foolproof.
Which proxy are you talking about? If you are talking about those freely available free anonymous proxy then NO !

Can you elaborate more on what you actually did?

uniaxaj

Right off the assembly line
Heres a web proxy you can try to access

*www.pagemod.com

goto the site:
Enter URL in the box and
BROWSE!! and FAST too.They have got multiple Dedicated Servers Running
This website 100% not blocked

Also they have a secure server mode *www.pagemod.com
Even Email and group Subscription to get updates on new domains
so to be sure you can access.. even if their primary domain gets blocked
No restrictions!!

If any thing goes wrong and you cannot access the site.pls PM me or reply to this post.I will help you to my max get past the block and help you surf unlimited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom