Pros of PHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Journeyman
Why is PHP a good language & how is it better than other most used languages [except for the reason that it is free]?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
1. PHP is open source. So development is fast.
2. PHP is very easy. If u know C, u know 90% of PHP.
3. PHP is platform independant. Since it is browser based.
4. PHP is very powerfull. Can do almost everything that any other language does!

Regards,
Kalpik

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
i would also like to add that PHP has a very large collection of extremely well thought-off functions which can allow to do anything you want !
php's functions are very good
being open source is very helpful

-----
alibi

tuxfan

Technomancer
kalpik said:
If u know C, u know 90% of PHP.

Is that so? Are you sure?

I knew quite a bit of C and can pick up from where I left a few years ago. I am very eager to learn PHP.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
yeah .. the format is very similar.
ex. if-else condition statements, loops, etc
if you know C, you'll find PHP very easy

-----
alibi

kalpik

tuxfan said:
kalpik said:
If u know C, u know 90% of PHP.

Is that so? Are you sure?

I knew quite a bit of C and can pick up from where I left a few years ago. I am very eager to learn PHP.

Hi tuxfan!

Yeah, PHP is *VERY* similar to C! Well have a look at the documentation section at *php.net to get started! Ill be happy to help if u need any help regarding this!

Regards,

Kalpik

tuxfan

Technomancer
kalpik said:
Hi tuxfan!

Yeah, PHP is *VERY* similar to C! Well have a look at the documentation section at *php.net to get started! Ill be happy to help if u need any help regarding this!

Regards,

Kalpik

Thank you so much. Can you please tell me from where I start?

kalpik

Hi!

Well first of all, u nees a web server since PHP is a server side language. Get apache server from *apache.org

Then u need the PHP binaries. Get them from *www.php.net/get/php-5.0.4-Win32.zip/from/a/mirror

Then extract php-5.0.4-Win32.zip to the folder where PHP will be installed, C:\PHP is a good choice. Then read the install.txt in this zip. Yeah! I know its a bloody LONG file! Well the important sections are the starting intro and "Apache 2.0.x on Microsoft Windows
" topic. Read it throghly! Also it will contain info about configuring your php.ini file. Read it too.

Then install Apache server. And edit the httpd.conf file according to the info in the install.txt file in the php package.

Woah!

Do this n then let me know!! Hehe ;)

Kalpik

kalpik

Configuring PHP with Apache.

Hi!

Actually, configuring PHP with Apache is the *most* tedious job i've ever done! Ill maki it easier for u guys. Download Apache from *apache.org and install it with the defaults. When it asks for domail name etc, enter "localhost" in the first 2 boxes and enter ur email address in the third.

Now download PHP from *www.php.net/get/php-5.0.4-Win32.zip/from/a/mirror

Unzip it to C:\PHP.

Now download *www.kalpik.5gigs.com/php.zip

This has 2 files. Extract php.ini into C:\PHP and httpd.conf into C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\conf

Replace all existing files.

Now, u will have a leaf type icon in your system tray with a green "play" button on it. Left click on it and select Apache2 -> restart. U will see several warnings about a file php_mysql something. Just keep pressing ok.

now goto start -> run -> services.msc

Here double click on Apache2 and change startup type from automatic to manual.

Now right click My Computer, select properties. Go to the advanced tab and click "Environment Variables" Now under "System Variables", there will be a value named "Path", double click on it.

Now if the variable value is ending in a ";" (semi colon), its ok otherwise, put a semi colon and write "C:\PHP;C:\PHP\ext" (Without quotes) over there. Select ok to exit the dialog box.

Now restart.

After restart, u will have the apache icon in ur tray with a red "stop" button. Click on it select Apache2 -> start. Now u should not see any warnings if everything is configured correctly.

Now open your browser and type "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" in the address bar. A page of Apache should open. If it opens, CONGRATS! U have succesfully configured Apache with PHP! Otherwise get back to me!

Try this and let me know!

Take care!

Kalpik

kalpik

Direct link for Apache (incase u r not able to find it!)

*www.signal42.com/mirrors/apache/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.0.54-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

tuxfan

Technomancer
Actually, I have PHP+MySQL enabled server space ;) So I can directly use it for initial trial and error. :) I have downloaded the documentation yesterday and have just started reading. Will make a simple "Hello World" PHP application today :D and proceed further from there.

Any suggestions/tips? :)

kalpik

Its really good u have ur web space! Configuring PHP is a pain in the @ss!!!

The PHP manual is the best thing to learn PHP from. But be sure to read it from the begining otherwise maybe u wont get it!

Take care!

Kalpik

Deep

Version 2.0
I strongly wont suggest replacing php.ini or httpd.conf

checkout my tutorial here....

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15502

anyways back to the topic...

i had started php with ebook called teach urself php on 24 hrs...i read 3-4 chapters (till functions or classes i suppose) and then i couldnt stop myself so just started off with it and took help of manual and google..

if anyone needs some books on php then let me know, i have some stuff on my server, i can share..just PM if u need it :)

Deep

kalpik

Hey! Deep!

Was just trying to help! And make thinks as easy as possible! You can download and see for urself the httpd.conf and php.ini files i posted! Nothing illegal dude!

Anyway, good tutorial!

Kalpik

Deep

Version 2.0
kalpik said:
Hey! Deep!

Was just trying to help! And make thinks as easy as possible! You can download and see for urself the httpd.conf and php.ini files i posted! Nothing illegal dude!

Anyway, good tutorial!

Kalpik

oh, No, I didnt mean illegal stuff...

I just meant about version differences...

sometimes they make changes in ini and conf files in new versions...

so better to use default one and edit the settings if needed...

btw glad to hear that you liked the tutorial :)

Regards
Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom