Processor overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak24

Broken In
:cry: :cry:

I have a intel 865gbf with 2.4 intel processor and 256 mb of ram. I have also alloted 96 mb of ram to the integrated video. The system runs fine if i am surfing or working on any applications. But the problem starts when i begin to play games. After 15-20 minutes i get a beep from Intel Active monitor that the system zone 2 is overheating and the temp shows that it has gone beyond 50. while the processor zone has reached around 60-65. Most of the time the system shuts down or restarts by itself. Now the game i was playing was vice city which does not require a video accelerator. My system is a year old i never had this issue until now. I dont understand if the issue is with the Motherboard or the processor. Any Suggestions ???

:( :(

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Buddy how long have you been facing this problem ? For starters I recommend that you take out a panel from the cabinet so that you can see the CPU. Keep it that way, turn on your computer and check whether all fans are working or not. Try playing the game and see if it shuts down just like before. If fans are working and it still does the same thing, then you may have problems with heat sink mounting. It may be the case if you have been facing this problem since the time you got your PC.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
Hey it depends on u r room ventilation etc...so better u keep open the cabinet(one side).....i think it will solve u r prob upto certain extent.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
If opening the cabinet solves the problem then its good. In case you dont want to keep it open for your whole life then you can check the air passage and install an extra fan, tie all the loose cables & clear the fan of any dust using a vaccum/blower.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
It depends upon ur case fan arrangement too. For example, in my old cabinet, my temps were lower when I kept it open. But with my new cabinet which has fans on the side panel, temps rise insanely unless I put the cover on.
I find it better this way, coz I don't have to deal with tons of dust on my motherbord which seems to attract dust like hell. I guess it's the static electricity.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
officially according to intel , u can safely set the upper temperature thresholds for the system zone temps in the intel active monitor to upto 60 C ... the processor zone temp is also fine if its shown below 70 C .. i had emailed intel about this problem and had got this from them.

Also try keeping a good very well ventilated cabinet with extra fans ( 1 front , 1 rear) .. and use a good smps (powersafe , antec , coolermaster)

Zaysen

Broken In
ak24 said:
:cry: :cry:

I have a intel 865gbf with 2.4 intel processor and 256 mb of ram. I have also alloted 96 mb of ram to the integrated video. The system runs fine if i am surfing or working on any applications. But the problem starts when i begin to play games. After 15-20 minutes i get a beep from Intel Active monitor that the system zone 2 is overheating and the temp shows that it has gone beyond 50. while the processor zone has reached around 60-65. Most of the time the system shuts down or restarts by itself. Now the game i was playing was vice city which does not require a video accelerator. My system is a year old i never had this issue until now. I dont understand if the issue is with the Motherboard or the processor. Any Suggestions ???

:( :(

After Reading all the answers posted for this problem my solution is:
This Problem has been faced by many for whom i have assembled the same configuration.The Solution is Only One While Playing Games Keep the Side Cover Open and Put a Table Fan in Front of the CPU at a Distance of about three feet from the cabinet,I am Facing the Same Problem in Peak Summer While Watching TV on my P-4 1.70 Ghz on and Intel D845WN Mother Board.If this does not solve the problem put the cpu in an air conditioned room.No other way.

G

gxsaurav

lets see, u better check if u have good PSU or not, also, check the fan arrangement

1 front & one rear exhaust is always a good idea

the 2.4 GHz P4 if northwood then it can reach upto 71C before initiating a halt state, that is, rebooting, while the prescott goes to 81C

the motherboard threshold temp for 865GBF is 48C, Aux should be 45C

HD, well, I don't know about Seagate, but with 1 HD Fan my samsung never goes over 37, even if i m ripping a DVD

better buy a new cabinet, with one side exhaust

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Go to this link if you have any queries about extra fans. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18065&start=0

OP
A

ak24

Broken In
I tried opening the side cover and kept it open for a day all fans were working fine but the processor still heats up. Secondly i have one fan on my smps second on the processor itself and third in the back of the cabinet. I dont have any more space for fans.
I remember my friend used to have this same problem and then he started to get an error "Previous shutdown due to Thermal Event. F1 to continue or F2 to enter Setup" And the next thing you know is his 12v connector from the smps got melted on the motherboard and intel wouldnt replace it as the warranty was void. Should i go and buy a new cabinet and also should i apply more thermal grease in the cpu ????

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
what about the front intake fan? It would help to take in cold air and ur other 2 rear fans would blow the hot air out. This is what i use and aditional to it i have side intake fan just above the cpu and blow hole on top of the cabinet with fan. My config P4 3.0 GHz PRESCOTT with stock HSF, 865GBF MB, 512MB RAM, 80 GB HDD, 400W POWERSAFE SMPS AND I-BALL GRABIT CABINET. Temp. dosen't rise above 62c for cpu. while playing games.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
if the problem started outta nowhere, i mean all fans etc are working and still the proc die overheats then the thermal compound is broken! reapply the compound and see if it makes any difference.

btw, wot about other components on the mobo?? are they exceptionally hot too??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom