Problems with Video Encoding???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hello Friends!

I have a problem with video encoding. After transferring the video's from my digital camcoder to my computer, I used Pinnacle Studio to do some editing and to add some effects. Now I want to transfer the final movie to a VCD. The problem is that whenever I select the VCD option while making the final movie, the video quality is very bad. What should I do so that the final movie turns out to be equally good. Do I need to use some other codec to make the final movie.

Apart from this, what is actually the use of DIVX 6. Is it also helpful to encode movies with minimum quality loss. If yes, is it possible to compress AVI or MPEG files so that it remains in the same format but smaller in size.

Thank you.

ishaan

Padawan
choose the best quality in pinnacle which i think must b DVD and once the video file is made, u can use video editors 2 make it the proper format and size and use something like NERO or VCDEASY to burn 2 vcd

n yeah...u should use divx which makes it an avi.

puja399

In the zone
go4saket said:
After transferring the video's from my digital camcoder to my computer........ whenever I select the VCD option while making the final movie, the video quality is very bad.
VCD means MPEG1 movies, which is 352X240 (PAL), u can't get better resolution than that with VCDs. Moreover, I presume that ur camcorder is single CCD, so the color quality (rather, the lack of it) will show through the mpeg1 movies. Thus the quality of movie will be bad.
The solution is to build a DVD, which will contain MPEG2 (that is, 720X576 in PAL) and due to higher resolution, u will get better video. U will need a DVD writer to make it and a DVD player to watch it on TV.

BTW, u should not use DivX or XViD codecs to compress ur camcorder movies before making the DVD, those r not lossless and hence they will degrade quality. U can try low compression codecs like MJPEG though. The file size will be bigger though.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Thanks so much Puja399. By the way, where can I get MJPEG from. Apart from this, is there is video compressing software that is lossless...

go4saket said:
Thanks so much Puja399. By the way, where can I get MJPEG from. Apart from this, is there is video compressing software that is lossless...

Try HUFFYUV instead. It's free.

Apart from that, you should invest in a good quality MPEG encoder. TMPEGENC is what I'd recommend. You'll find a lot of web guides to set up TMPEG for best quality encoding.

Better still, invest in a DVD burner and DVD standalone as MPEG2 is heaps better.

- Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom