Problems with Ubuntu 6.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sariq

i am currently using xubuntu 6.10, it detected my N70 out of the box, here is the out put of tail /var/log/messages
Code:
Nov 27 17:13:56 xubuntu kernel: [17179611.336000] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
Nov 27 17:13:56 xubuntu kernel: [17179611.508000] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Nov 27 17:13:56 xubuntu kernel: [17179611.864000] cdc_acm 1-1:1.8: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
Nov 27 17:13:56 xubuntu kernel: [17179611.868000] usbcore: registered new driver cdc_acm
Nov 27 17:13:56 xubuntu kernel: [17179611.868000] drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
but when i installed ubuntu 6.10 it did not find drivers for it - last 1 (or 2) lines were missing from the output. i am back on xubuntu now. why is this difference in ubuntu and xubuntu?
and bluetooth doesnt pair in xubuntu and ubuntu 6.10, it was working in ubuntu 6.06. so i didnt find any way to connect to internet using gprs connection in ubuntu6.10, whereas in xubuntu it is working upto 200kbps

OP
S

sariq

data cable -connection works through data cable on xubuntu but not on ubuntu.

bluetooth -in ubuntu i cant pair the phone and pc. in xubuntu bluez-utils is not preinstalled, i have installed later but that have same problem as in ubuntu6.10 -cant pair. (in ubuntu 6.06 bluetooth pairing was easy from the phone)

OP
S

sariq

now i have used pppconfig for gprs connection on ubuntu. earlier on Xubuntu i was able to connect by following method:
Step 1: Plug the data cable into your mobile phone and into your computer. Then see whether it was recognised by the kernel.
Code:
tail /var/log/messages
Should result in something like the following output:
Code:
localhost kernel: [4295346.417000] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address3
localhost kernel: [4295348.125000] cdc_acm 1-1:1.8: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
localhost kernel: [4295348.133000] usbcore: registered new driver cdc_acm
localhost kernel: [4295348.133000] drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.23:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
According to this output, the kernel driver being used is cdc-acm (you don't need to know that, but it may be useful for other applications). We can deduce from the second line that linux can see the device at /dev/ttyACM0 - this you will need to know.

Step 2: Configure Ubuntu to be able to communicate with your phone and use it to connect to the Internet.
Install ppp (handles modems and dialing) if it's not installed already:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ppp
You will need to create a configuration file that tells Ubuntu how to handle communication with the phone. If you prefer using a graphical text editor, replace "vi" in this and the following steps with "gedit". The files should be empty to start with.
Code:
sudo vi /etc/ppp/peers/mobile
Enter the following text:
Code:
debug
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/mobile"
usepeerdns
/dev/ttyACM0 115200
defaultroute
crtscts
lcp-echo-failure 0
If the /var/log/messages output above showed something other than ttyACM0, substitute that in the above code.
Ubuntu will need to send some commands to your phone to tell it to connect to the Internet. These commands are stored in a chat script, and are sent when you try to connect.
Code:
sudo vi /etc/chatscripts/mobile
Enter the following text:
Code:
TIMEOUT	35
ECHO	ON
ABORT	'\nBUSY\r'
ABORT	'\nERROR\r'
ABORT	'\nNO ANSWER\r'
ABORT	'\nNO CARRIER\r'
ABORT	'\nNO DIALTONE\r'
ABORT	'\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'
''	\rAT
OK	'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com"'
OK	ATD*99***1#
CONNECT	""
You also need to be registered to use the modem connection. You are probably registered already, but this should take care of it if you're not (using your Ubuntu login name):
sudo adduser your-username-here dialout
If you can connect to the Internet on your phone (without your computer), the configuration scripts above should work. If not, look around in the links given below and see whether you can resolve the problem. The most likely points of failure are the 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","INTERNET"' and ATD*99***1# sections.

Specifically where I have set "INTERNET" above, may well be different in your case. This is the Access Point Name (APN). It can (probably) be found in your phone's settings - I can get to it through the following path on my phone: Menu > Tools > Settings > Connection > Access Points. From there choose the access point you use to connect to the Internet (most probably the first one on the list). One of the settings there is "Access point name". Substitute what it says there where I have put "INTERNET" above.

Step 3: You should now be ready to connect. To dial, use the "pon" command, to disconnect, use the "poff" command and for log, use "plog" command.
Code:
pon mobile
poff mobile
plog mobile
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on ubuntu this doesnt work it says
Code:
:~$ plog mobile
tail: cannot open `mobile' for reading: No such file or directory
Nov 30 07:25:13 lenovo chat[16198]: timeout set to 35 seconds
Nov 30 07:25:13 lenovo chat[16198]: abort on (\nBUSY\r)
Nov 30 07:25:13 lenovo chat[16198]: expect (^M)
Nov 30 07:25:48 lenovo chat[16198]: alarm
Nov 30 07:25:48 lenovo chat[16198]: Failed
Nov 30 07:25:48 lenovo pppd[16196]: Connect script failed
Nov 30 07:25:49 lenovo pppd[16196]: Exit.
anyway i am able to connect through pppconfig

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

sariq

:-D this one was taken from ubuntuforums

but connection through pppconfig is very easy. only run
Code:
sudo pppconfig
now follwow the instructions. give any username and password. only phone no. is important which is *99#

problem: has anybody paired bluetooth device in ubuntu 6.10?

mediator

Technomancer
U have to enable bluetooth on ur Laptop first and then enable bluetooth service and then bluetooth application.
Hardware part on my Lappy is done by : "function key + F2"
Service : I guess it was already enabled on mah lappy as modern distros find out themselves and enable the required hardware functionalities.
Application : "sudo apt-get install gnome-bluetooth"

*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=94713
*packages.ubuntulinux.org/hoary/gnome/gnome-bluetooth

Its very simple, if u still won't be able to do it, then I'll post when I re-explore it on Ubuntu and have sufficient time to explore. Right now I'm on fedora. So try it out! I'm sure it will solve ur problem coz I myself learnt the procedure from the first link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom