Problems during PCQ installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IG

Journeyman
I tried to install PCQ2004 on an 8.1 GB HD.Its a seperate disk.i use a 40 gb one for my xp.
when i tried to install, it suddenly restarted and then when booting gave an error. something like damage in 1024 cylinder. after that i have not been able to use that disk.
i was using the SUSE 9.1 before i tried to install pcq.i fully formatted the harddisk before i tried to install pcq.
is the hard disk recoverable?
i had no problems before i tried this install.
does pcq have a problem with smaller disks?

tuxfan

Technomancer
To my knowledge, PCQ Linux doesn't have any problem with smaller disks. But since this a 8 GB HD, it must be a very old one. Are you sure its not gone bad? What you can do it reformat the entire HD once again and see.

If you want to recover data, you will need to use some data recovery software for Linux since it contained SuSE earlier.

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
no disk was fine.i had i checked by the nearby service centre b4 this happened.they said its in amazing shape considering its nearly 10 yrs old :p
will try formatting it and reinstalling again now.
but the thing is my system wasnt recognising it when i tried it ealier today.will try again and post later.

demoninside

In the zone
Ya check out ur IDE cable coz,
my writer was not working and i don't know i just take out IDE cable and put it back nd it starts working,
But ur problem seems to be diffrent i guess u hv some problem in HDD,

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
well i got the disk checked again.apparently its dead :( :(
can win and lin be installed on the same hdd?
if so how?

tuxfan

Technomancer
Win and Lin an surely co-exist on a hard disk. Afterall what are boot-loaders for ;) My 80GB Hard disk has Win98SE with PCQ Linux 2004 and Knoppix. I plan to install Debian Sarge on it soon :D

Well, but for this to work, you need to partition you hard disks properly. There have been many threads here on this topic earlier. Take a search here. You can find the search link at the top of the pages here.

Anyway, keep in mind, that you must install Windows first and then Linux. Otherwise Windows will over-write the Master Boot Record and your linux will seem to have been lost. It can surely be recovered with very little effort, but why take that trouble? Remember to install Windows first :)

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
thanks m8.will search and try....after i back up :p

-EDIT-
got really bugged with xp.formatted and installed pcq2004.now if i get another hard disk can i install windows and dual boot? or will i have to install xp first and then reinstall pcq?

tuxfan

Technomancer
Since you have already installed PCQ Linux, go ahead and install XP. Then you can re-install GRUB from the first PCQ Linux CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom