Problems and more problems with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
1)I recently installed SuSE 10.1. Installation went fine, was working fine. Then from yesterday, all of a sudden, I can't log into root. Since there was some urgent work, I just logged in as a normal user. Today, I try to log in with root, not working. Then, I try to log in as normal user, its not working either. When I try to log in with either of the accounts, the screen goes blank for a second, the timer of the pointer is moving and then switches back to the log in screen. I tried to log in numerous times, but didn't work. I'm a total newbie to this so I didn't try out anything new.

2)When I could log into SuSE 10.1, NONE of the audio players could play mp3s. Amarok complained about the Xine engine not being able to recognise mp3s and asked me to go through the FAQ section which I didn't get. I faced the same problem with FC5 as well. Tried Noatun, Amarok, etc., which didn't work. Only Real Player could play my mp3s but with very bad quality. My windows partitions are NTFS in case you might this info to fix the problem

3)On SuSE 10.1, I configure my internet connection, but when I connect to the net, a page with little or not images takes ages to open, which was not the case with FC5 which opened at a 'normal' speed for my BSNL broadband connection.

I want to make a complete transition from Windows to Linux, but these issues are keeping me from making it. Hope you guys can help me out with this.

Thanks in advance.

shashank_re

In the zone
Even i had almost similar issues with SUSE. it is not the problem with SUSE,it is with Linux.Even i wanted to shift to linux from windows but i wasnt able to do so.
I would recommend you to format everything and install XP with AV and firewall.Linux is not very easy for home users.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
For question 2 see the sticky on multimedia. It has been explained on how to enable restricted codecs.
So what kind of user am I if linux is not suitable for home users?

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

shashank_re said:
Even i had almost similar issues with SUSE. it is not the problem with SUSE,it is with Linux.Even i wanted to shift to linux from windows but i wasnt able to do so.
I would recommend you to format everything and install XP with AV and firewall.Linux is not very easy for home users.

I'm one of the greatest fans of Linux, though I'm an MCP. LOL!! SuSE has one of the easiest interfaces I've seen. I chose 10.1 'coz I was using 9.3 before FC5 came along. I had to give up with 9.3 as I didn't get the media and my HDD developed bad sectors and throw it. Also, I'm a home user and I find it very convenient to use Linux apart from few issues.

For question 2 see the sticky on multimedia. It has been explained on how to enable restricted codecs

So, should I install the win32codecs? I checked out the sticky, but the site is for Ubuntu.

Last edited:

mehulved

Check these two links *spinink.net/suse-for-windows-users/ and *www.thejemreport.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=42. I have taken them from the sticky thread on multimedia. The second link is seemingly not working.
There are two more resources from thejemreoprt that can come in handy *www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/1/ and *www.thejemreport.com/mambo/compone...view/id,18176/catid,15/limit,10/limitstart,0/
Kill the process /bin/bash /usr/bin/startx.
Now give command
Code:
startx
and see if things work fine.
This is not a proper solution mind you. This will just help in checking if things work fine, until someone can suggest a better solution. And why do you login as root?

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@PhreakOutt, MP3 & Win32 Codecs are proprietary. You can't have them from Open Suse 10.1 CDs/DVD.
If you want to play MP3 music you must install XMMS from the Net. And Win32 Codecs
can play only Windows media formats not MP3!!

2) Pages load slowly in Suse:
Solution: Use GNOME & FireFox as the Web browser. Install the extension 'FasterFox' from here
Restart the FireFox browser after installing this extension for the changes
to take effect!! You'll definitely see the web pages loading faster!!

Never Login as root, this is a very bad practise!! You shouldn't do it./
Remember this compromises security & other thing being even if you delete some
System file by mistake, you won't be able to boot Suse Linux!!

drsethi

Journeyman
Repair Linux install with original DVD/CD
Boot up from the install DVD/CD. Choose installation, a couple of screens in, look for an 'other' box. Choose 'boot installed system' from that
I have no problem with surfing in SUSE Linux.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

JGuru said:
@PhreakOutt, MP3 & Win32 Codecs are proprietary. You can't have them from Open Suse 10.1 CDs/DVD.
If you want to play MP3 music you must install XMMS from the Net. And Win32 Codecs
can play only Windows media formats not MP3!!

Hmmmmm.......but how come other players support it?? There seems to be some problem with XMMS as well. I tried it. If I chose a file and click a button to play, nothing happens :(

2) Pages load slowly in Suse:
Solution: Use GNOME & FireFox as the Web browser. Install the extension 'FasterFox' from here
Restart the FireFox browser after installing this extension for the changes
to take effect!! You'll definitely see the web pages loading faster!!

I forgot to mention. Its not only with pages, even IMs like Yahoo! and Gaim helluva time to log in :(

Never Login as root, this is a very bad practise!! You shouldn't do it./
Remember this compromises security & other thing being even if you delete some
System file by mistake, you won't be able to boot Suse Linux!!

I log in as root as I want to install applications and adjust the settings, but I'll try avoid this in the future. Thanks for letting me know about it.

mehulved

How often would you adjust the settings and install the applications. There are commands like su, sudo, gksu, kdesu, etc that will give you root access for installing apps and adjusting settings.
Well AFAIK, xmms doesn't use gstreamer plugins so it won't play mp3 using gstreamer.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Mehul here is link for Installing MP3, Flash, Java, DVD playback etc., in Suse 10.1 Click here
@Mehul, also update this link in Sticky, since it has changed!!
@PhreakOut, checkout the link I have given. It contains everything you need.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@phreakout, u may also try PCLinuxOS-BigDaddy. I recently got troubled by FC5 and tried PClinuxOs BigDaddy . Lemme tell ya , it is the easiest,fastest and most eye candy linux I have ever seen. Do try it.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

@tech_your_futureSince I'm still learning linux, I am still not so comfortable with all the commands. I'll check it out with the ones you specified.
@JGuruI did check out the link which you specified. tech_your_future had already suggested it. Anyways, thanks to you both for giving me the links.I'll try to fix it asap and let you know. But I still haven't got the cause of the log in problem. Anybody here knows it?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@PhreakOutt, The Suse 10.1 link has changed!! The link given by me works.
If you want to run administration commands then ,open the Terminal Window & login as root as follows:

$ su -
(Enter root password)

# <type your admin command>

NOTE: If you have successfully logged in as root, then the prompt sign changes from '$' to '#'.
After you have finished installing packages or runnning some Administration commands, logout of root.

# exit

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

JGuru said:
@PhreakOutt, The Suse 10.1 link has changed!! The link given by me works.
If you want to run administration commands then ,open the Terminal Window & login as root as follows:

$ su -
(Enter root password)

NOTE: If you have successfully logged in as root, then the prompt sign changes from '$' to '#'.
After you have finished installing packages or runnning some Administration commands, logout of root.

# exit

Wow!!!! So much to do and so much to learn on Linux. Got my tests now, will try it out immediately once its over.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm really frustruated with this stupid SuSE 10.1. Its giving me trouble just like any dumb Windows OS. Regarding the problem of not able to log in using root and other user, I couldn't get a proper fix, so I reinstalled SuSE. When I tried to repair my install like Dr.Sethi suggested, it showed an error regarding fstab, but there were no complete details, so I went ahead and reinstalled the OS. Now, I'm facing the same problem AGAIN!!!!!!! I can't log in with a normal user account and I don't know when my root account will act up and not allow me to log in.

Coming back to the Amarok part, I tried to install the gstreamer plug in, but it complained for a certain dependency(I had a log file of which those dependencies were, but I had to delete that due to the above mentioned problem). I downloaded and try to install the dependency which it was complaining and I again get an error saying that there are few dependencies missing. WTF????????? Can't I have a complete easy to use SuSE without problems?????? HELLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

S

sariq

JGuru said:
$ su -
(Enter root password)
NOTE: If you have successfully logged in as root, then the prompt sign changes from '$' to '#'
# exit
i cant login as root. i am using xubuntu. what is default root password? my user password doesnt work. i have only one account on xubuntu.

drsethi

Journeyman
phreak0utt said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm really frustruated with this stupid SuSE 10.1. Its giving me trouble just like any dumb Windows OS. Regarding the problem of not able to log in using root and other user, I couldn't get a proper fix, so I reinstalled SuSE. When I tried to repair my install like Dr.Sethi suggested, it showed an error regarding fstab, but there were no complete details, so I went ahead and reinstalled the OS. Now, I'm facing the same problem AGAIN!!!!!!! I can't log in with a normal user account and I don't know when my root account will act up and not allow me to log in.

Can't I have a complete easy to use SuSE without problems?????? HELLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
suse 10.1 has many bugs.
*en.opensuse.org/Factory/News
I installed it 4 times to understand it.So donot get annoyed if something doesnot work. There are other ways to do that job. Version 10.2 coming 7th December,hope that it will be bugsfree.
Meanwhile I suggest you to format and clean install. Visit Linux forums to solve your problems.
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?f=60
Linux is not as easy as Windows. But once you install it properly and understand basic commands ,you will enjoy its power and safety.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

drsethi said:
suse 10.1 has many bugs.
*en.opensuse.org/Factory/News
I installed it 4 times to understand it.So donot get annoyed if something doesnot work. There are other ways to do that job. Version 10.2 coming 7th December,hope that it will be bugsfree.
Meanwhile I suggest you to format and clean install. Visit Linux forums to solve your problems.
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?f=60
Linux is not as easy as Windows. But once you install it properly and understand basic commands ,you will enjoy its power and safety.

LOL!! I was doing just that, going through the forums and wanted to post few links which I discovered. Yes, it takes a lot of time for a beginner to understand the complexities and working of any OS until we come to know exactly what its doing. I'll check on it for more details and keep you guys posted so that others can make use of this thread :D
Well, I finally found an answer to my problem. To the people who are interested to know how to fix it and why it is so(I still dont' know why this happens :( ) download this pdf documentation and move over to page 223 for Login problems. *www.novell.com/documentation/suse101/pdfdoc/suse_101_start_up/suse_101_start_up.pdf

I've almost got my audio player problems also resolved. Will soon be posting as to how to go about it step by step to make mp3s work great :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom