Problem with WinXP sp2 final

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Not only me but every one of my frnz who have installed winxp sp2 is facing a strange problem-- when we right click on any shortcut or executable the system hangs up randomly ne1 else facing this problem?
I have tried clean installing even tried slipstreaming the sp and then installing the OS, with SP1 and without and cant seem to find any solution... havent even been able to find any solution anywhere...any1 have anything on this problem?

theraven

Technomancer
nope
sp2 is very stable
it could be software incompatibility
which programs are u talkin abt ?
try a slipstremed with sp1 and sp2 .. then do a clean install
that should work

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
clean junk/clean registry.... even defrag ur hard disk (why?)

I think u hv some unwanted associated files with these files...

okay... go here.... (if u worked with regedit before then just do above taska)

regedit.exe>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>exefile>shell>> (carefully, delete, but export first as a backup, context menus uno which are safe to delete like ur AV's context menu like "scan for viruses with me!!"...

if u never did regedit.exe then just ignore and clean junk/registry...

ice

In the zone
No, not true.. I got sp2 , i got dexter to slipstream it and install it, no problems at all.Like shekhar said, clean ur registry and defrag.

And dont go regediting unless yu have previous experience,

G

gxsaurav

disable DEP, from boot.ini, read my other threads in this section for SP2 review & tweaks for how to do it, problem will be solved

OP
teknoPhobia

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
I slipstreamed 2 discs, 1 with SP1 and SP2 and one without SP1
same problem with both even b4 installing any programs. I did try disabling all the entries made in the context menu but no soap.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Like gxs said, disable DEP from boot.ini as below (C:\boot.ini)

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Change it to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

---

Btw, which version of SP2 do you have? The RC2 or the RTM/RTW ?

Personally I've slipstreamed SP2 for many people and none of them faced any such problems with DEP.

G

gxsaurav

True Dexter, but since on CPUs other then Prescott F or AMD64, DEP works in software mode, which could be a reason for this, I have it disabled

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
My XPerience!

I had random lock-ups and freezes with RC2, but the RTM build has made my system more stable than it has ever been. I used the SP2 CD M$ graciously sent home, though. BTW, should I turn off DEP? Will it affect the comp, OS or anything else in any adverse way? I thought it sounded like a good feature. :?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Slipstreaming

BTW, if I slipstream SP2, and have backed up wpa.dbl on the CD, what hardware (apart from the processor and mobo) can I change on the computer without having to reactivate Windows? I ask because I've already reinstalled XP about 7 times now and I dont know how many more times I can do this without calling a M$ support rep. I don't want to change the DVD/CDRW drive and then call them up and get put on hold with irritating music just because I find WPA to be a pain in the wrong place. :D

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hey I too had the freez problem i traced it back to a program installed that makes an entry in the right click menu and is having a problem with SP 2. I my case it was PGP so i went to add remove and removed the software and my PC thawed out immediatly

Tech&ME

Banned
hey! Mr. teknoPhobia and other who are having such problems after installing SP2. You guys, must uninstall SP2 completely. And then Do the following:
First Defrag your harddisk ( all the partitions you have)
Second Use Disk cleanup on all the partitions. ( You may have to re-start your PC )
Third Run Antivirus on all the partitions.
Fourth Run Spywary Cleanup Software - SpyBot or Adaware. Delete the Spyway found carefully.
Now Re-start your PC.
And yes if you guy's have installed StyleXP (any version trial or full ) uninstall it before you do the above four steps. StyleXP does not work with SP2 since the build version of WinXP gets changed after you install SP2.
Now Install WinXP SP2 final as you would normally install programs. Do not use the Dos prompt to install SP2.

BlAsTeR

Broken In
For all people who are still having problem of restarting explorer / explorer crash

You might have DivX installed.

Please remove divx player and codec for normal functioning of windows xp sp2.Well this might be problem with only some versions of DivX players.

G

gxsaurav

ya there is, Prescott J, will have 64 bit & XD technology like AMD64 NX, but they are costly, but extremely good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom