Problem With Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipen01

Youngling
Hi friends..

There are 2 PC's 1) PIII 1Ghz 64 MB SDRAM Windows XP and Windows ME Installed

2) AMD Athlon XP 640 MB DDR RAM 32 MB Graphics Card Windows Xp and Windows 98 installed

Both the PC's jave LAN Card installed..Actually i wanted to connect them thru LAN cable.. I mean Home Networking... But the problem is still after completing every setup procedure all TCP/ip setttings and all... am unable to connect them... i am unable to find the problem..

Actually in one of the PC's the other one's name is Visible but when i access it ... it says unable to access......

I will be really glad to recieve any kind of help or advice... thankx...

Cheers...
Dipen

daj123

Journeyman
have you tried pinging one computer from the other? just open up the dos prompt and ping the other comp like this:

ping <ip of the other computer>

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
Thankx yaar... :cry:

But I have tried everything... even changing both LAN Cards...
I dunno what exact is cross over cable but its CAT 5 cable also my friend has used it to connect 2 PC's earlier. First I had Win ME on one of PC but then it thought the problem must be due to conflicts of Operating Sys. so i installed XP on both of PC's. But yaar no change.

I will tell you what exactly i did from scratch.

1) setup of Home Networking Wizard from Network Connections on both PC's. (Win XP on Both)
2) Setting Same Workgroup i.e MSHOME (by default)
3)Changing IP address of both PC's from TCP/iP of LAN Properties to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
4) Network ID setup from MY COMPUTER --> PROPERTIES
5) After Restarting PC's when i pinged it said REQUEST TIMED OUT.
6) In Workgroup it doesnt shows MSHOME
7) In one of the PC's the name of other appears but when double clicked it says its UNACCESIBLE or UNAVAILABLE.

This is the complete process I have tried nearly 15-20 times. But am unable to figure out what exactly the problem is.. :cry: :cry:

Pls suggest me something if i missed something in this process. or any other suggestions are welcomed..
Thankx... :cry:

Regards.
Dipen

hack expert

In the zone
well i`m not actually helping u but try lan file sharing softwares u just gotta install them on both the pc`s n gotta do nothin u can do whatever u want file transfer gaming. if that dosent work then it network setup prob
well u can check using these softwares wether the network is properly workin

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
Buddy ..
Can u pls explain which kinda softwares and how exactly do i use them ..i mean how do i run them...
Thanx...

Regards..
Dipen

digen

Youngling
Have you shared any resources on either of the computers? Do you have any firewalls enabled on either of the two? If so then disable them.

Also make sure you have shared a folder.Right click a folder you want to share>Properties>Under the sharing tab, make the appropriate changes.

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
Hey Digen...

I have already dis-abled Windows Firewall and also.. shared my all drives.. dunno why isnt it working properly...
Do u think there might be some problem with Cable.. May be by Bad Handling something could have happened to it..???
Is there any way to check if Cable is alright..???
Anyways thankx for ur suggestion...

Cheers...
Dipen

digen

Youngling
Okay last try..
First I assume that you have properly installed the necessary protocols & services.
Have you checked whether ping works both ways or just one way?
If you get a reply either way then I believe there is some problem with the configuration.If it doesnt then try the cable somewhere else otherwise take the cable to your dealer & ask him to check it with the help of a cable tester.

hack expert

In the zone
one dat i have used is

Network assitant 3.2

well u just install it on both the pc`s they will automatically detect each other
no pinging and stuff u can transfer files
well it is atleast less complicated then the networking setup
as soon as u run the program on both the pc`s u are ready to go
it is just same as network neighbourhood no difference

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
Actually the ping isnt working in any of the PC's.. dont know why..now the only option is that ill check the cable from the dealer and if it doesnt work then ill let u guys know.. anyways.. thanks a lot.

Cheers..
Dipen

Doc Holliday

Broken In
Hi Dipen,

Forgive me if I missed this part, but how are the two PCs connected to each other?

1. Directly using a LAN (category 5) cable (crossover cable) between the two computers?
2. Using a 10 Mbps hub?
or
3. Using a 100 Mbps switch?

If you at doing No. 2 that could explain the 10 Mbps speed you are getting. Secondly, if one of the network cards (ethernet cards) are the 10 Mbps only variety, which is very rare these days, then too your network will continue to be at 10 Mbps.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

DH

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@Doc Holliday: I guess he is using a crossover cable and it seems that he is able to see the other computer in the workgroup but not access/ping it. :? Weird!

@Dipen01: Unless you have a really restrictive firewall that actively blocks ping (ICMP) traffic, you SHOULD be able to ping the computers from each other if the setup is right. If the computers are showing up in My Network Places, then the reason you are not able to ping is because of a restricting firewall. Make sure any and all firewalls are disabled before trying this out again. Know this, if ping doesnt work with all firewalls turned off, then there's something seriously wrong with the connection. I assume you have no problems with the
ping loopback
command at least. If both computers are running Windows XP Pro, then you should be able to see the workgroup in My Network Places if they're both on the same workgroup. Like digen said, get the cable tested and if possible, switch to another known good cable or at least get a professional to rewire the same cable to use a different pair (10 Mbps only) Also, in Windows XP, go to Tools>Folder Options>View, make sure you uncheck "Enable simple file sharing" at the very end and try the process again.

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
Hey there..

@enoon :- Buddy.. actually i was unable to connect thru Lan before so i posted this thread.. but now its all done but the problem is of trnasfer speed which i mentioned in other thread.. Anyways thanx for ur concern..

@Doc :- Hey there. i posted prob in the original thread. pls refer it..

Cheers..
Dipen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom