Problem with AOE-III: please help

Discussion in 'Gamerz' started by abhijit_reddevil, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil Manchester United

I recently bought AOE-III. The problem is the game refuses to run at 1024 X 768, the setting to which it has defaulted. Only when I edit the C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Users\newprofile.xml file and set the setting as <Setting Name="optiongrfxres">800 x 600</Setting>, the game runs.

Otherwise I get no error message, when I try to start, I can hear the sounds, but the video does not show up before editing as above.

I have all the latest drivers and latest directx. see my sig for the config, what could be the problem?

Thanks.

2. RinceWind

RinceWind New Member

Hi,
    been travelling around these forums for quite a while and decided to finally join up today :) One thing which caught my eye was how similar our rigs are. practically each part was chosen by me last december as the best value for money at the time... and its good to see someone else with good taste as well!

Anyway, about the AOE3 issue, it's definitely software cos i'm able to play aoe3 with no probs at all... right now i'm at work but the moment I get home i'll check up a bit more on this... is this ver1.08 exe? the new ver came out 1st of this month but the fixes list states no gfx issue.

3. Anand_RF

Anand_RF New Member

I had a gfx problem of not being able to see any units anywhere. The 1.08 patch fixed it. So maybe getting the 1.08 patch can help you out. Or, try deleting all the settings files from the my documents/my games/aoe3 folder (or make a backup, place them somewhere else). Then try running the game, see if it works in default settings.
    Also, the readme file tells of problems with older drivers of nvidia 6800, but since you say you have the newest, I don't think that will be the problem.

4. OP
    OP
    abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil Manchester United

I have forceware 91.31. Anyway, thanks to everyone, the problem is solved. Actually in the config xml, the setting for resolution was 1024 X 768 @ 75Hz. This refresh frequency is not supported by my old monitor. So I could hear the sounds but not the display. I reverted it back to 60Hz and it worked! It will not work by changing the game settings from inside the game but it will work if you edit the xml file in mydocuments\my games\AoEIII\...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.