problem installing Xandros

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayneu

Journeyman
hi guys,
does any one in the world can solve my problem regarding the installation of Xandros 2.0?
1st i would like to tell u my system configuration.....
p4, 1.6GH,128 mb rd ram,dvd drive.....so on.....
i have made an attempt to install on 4.5 gb and 9.5gb space drive...in both the cases it went through well starting from the detection of xandros cd to until it asked for removal of cd to reboot after completion of installation.....absolutely no problem at all till then,....but the problem started when i removed the cd and rebooted, the entire screen goes to series of 01010101.....so on like that.....
it even didnt ask to choose which OS to boot....
it happened thrice....i tried all tricks which i knew off....
it made me to feel like why i have opted for linux....to that extent....

so pls any one in the world help me out of this problem...and make me feel happy, by making my linux installation easy.....

i must start using Xandros pls guys....
waiting...........

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
dont worry , i think u chose linux loader during install . LILO causes this problem , and i faced it first time i installed it , so it freaked me out then :) . So if u have win98 or xp , use the cds to boot and run fdisk /mbr or fixmbr respectively . Regarding xandros , ur partition would be safe . if u have win98 , theres a way to boot into xandros without using boot loader . else , just install grub from xandros . there are plenty grub faq's in the forum . Do tell which os u got to continue

OP
mayneu

mayneu

Journeyman
i didnt get u..........

i am sorry i use win xp professional.....
i didnt get what u said.....
i will boot from bootable cd of win98, after that should i type fdisk/mbr or fixmbr ? pls dont mind for this, as i may be asking u silly things for u, but definitely not for me...
tell me in detail what to do after that? in detail on how to change that lilo into grub step by step if u dont mind pls...
i am a beginner...
i will be grateful to u .... :lol:

demoninside

In the zone
ok here it is,

for recovering XP's boot u need to---------
1. Boot from Win XP cd or run Winxp Setup from dos mode by using CD_Drive:/i386> Winnt.exe

2. Go in recovery mode by pressing R(* It will ask this question),
3. enter ur administrative password
4. use command *fixmbr*

now for installing gurb use
1. boot from cd in rescue mode by entering linux rescue in about all the distros never tried Xen* before
2. select the normal entries
3. in command mode enter chroot /mnt/sysimage
4. command install-gurb /dev/hda

for more details check a thred here just search a bit u'll find it i think it's tricks/b] one sticky one..........

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
if ur booting from windows 98 cd
- choose start computer with cdrom drive option
- in the dos prompt type fdisk /mbr

if ur booting from windows xp cd
- choose recovery console
- in recovery console type fixmbr

regarding grub , someone else might give u input here ,since i dont use it :)

OP
mayneu

mayneu

Journeyman
sorry guys.........

i installed xandros even without changing lilo to grub.......
i swear..

it worked out when i booted from bootable floppy which i created at the end of installation.........
any how thanks for ur wonderful support......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom