Problem Connecting a Laptop to a Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

drharrypotter

Right off the assembly line
I have a desktop and a laptop, both having WINDOWS XP Service Pack 2 with Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet

NIC. I have connected them with a Crossover Cable and I set up a network using Network Wizard. I use Reliance LG

mobile handset as modem for accessing the net and I've configuerd it to be shared between the two with the desktop

acting as the host and it works ( sharing the internet connection ) I am also able to PING between the two. but my

problem is - I am not able to see the shared folders in the My Network Places. ( unable to share

folders/files/printers ). I have configured the Windows Firewall to allow file sharing. So please help me with this

issue. Thanks

ishaan

Padawan
i think both of them must be in the same workgroup for the net to work...but just check anyways

go to ur network connections and rite clik on Local Area Connection.

is File and Printer sharing checked?

make sure it is on both pcs

then, rite click the folder you want to share and go to properties.

on the top, select the SHARING tab and see that sharing should be enabled on both pcs.

also, go 2 search and click on 'computers or people' and then see if it finds the pc or laptop .

yash

I draw every day
this is a real problem.even i have the same problem every time i come back to my home town.i had to fix this problem last time too and again this time.but unluckily i lost all the resources/tutorials that i had stored on my home pc.so,even i need help.

the desktop shows limited or no connection error.whats that?last time i figured i didnt have a crossover cable,i had just a regular lan cable and thats what was causing the problem.but now i have gotten a crossover cable and the problem still persists.
i found out this limited or no connectivity error in sp2 can be fixed by a patch.can i upload it as an attachment here?

theraven

Technomancer
limited or no connection error could be due to mismatched subnets or networks
what ip have u given the 2 ?

@thread starter
right click on any folder u wanna share
goto properties
then sharing
and enable sharin from there first
it'll ask u if u want to use the wizrd or just enable file sharing
u can select either ur comfortable with
now simply type \\ipadress of host in the explorer address bar and it'll display all the shared folders of that particular host

OP
D

drharrypotter

After connecting my desktop and laptop with a crossover cable, I gave the IP Address of the desktop as 192.168.0.1 and I selected the option Obtain IP Address automatically on my laptop and it has been assigned the IP Address as 192.168.0.2 - Assigned by DHCP ( TCP/IP Properties of LAN connection )
I gave unique names to the desktop and laptop. But the workgroup is same ( MSHOME ).
In the properties of modem (LG USB MODEM) I have enabled the internet connection to be shared.
Then I ran the Network Setup Wizard on both computers and enabled file and printer sharing.
I enabled some folders to be shared on both computers.
When i run the PING Command followed by the IP Address of either computer, I don't get any error.
I am even able to share the interent connection.
But when I run "\\192.168.0.2" ( Laptop's IP > from the desktop I get an error message " Windows cannot find "\\192.168.0.2"............."
And in Network Places I don't see the shared folders.

Did I go wrong anywhere in the process..?

Thank you for your help.

choudang

Padawan
did you enabled DHCP server. why do you making some confusion about a simple LAN setting. do a simple conn e.g. assign your PC as *.*.*.1 and name as SERVER. share the net connection. next, assign *.*.*.2 for your laptop and named it node 2. rename your workgroup like drHP.

try to make it as stated

yash

I draw every day
okay, i did not change the addresses of any one.i had selected obtain ip address automatically on both.can anyone elaborate on how to give an ip address manually?

choudang

Padawan
yash said:
okay, i did not change the addresses of any one.i had selected obtain ip address automatically on both.can anyone elaborate on how to give an ip address manually?

@open network connections
@right click on the network conn icon
@go to properties -- Ineternet protocol (TCP/IP) -- properties
@select use the following IP address and put the IP

choudang

Padawan
255.255.255.0; leave the default gateway.

PS: if you are running 2000 prof, and this you client machine for internet sharing .. put the IP which is assigned for your server for default gateway. it will something like this

server: [internet connectio is here and you are sharing it]
ip: 192.168.0.1
sub: 255.255.255.0
d gate: [blank]

client:
ip: 192.168.0.2
sb: 255.255.255.0
d gate: 192.168.0.1

yash

I draw every day
okay thanks man that did it.lan is working.now i just wanna get the net working on my laptop.
thanks warrior!

choudang

Padawan
yash said:
this is a real problem.even i have the same problem every time i come back to my home town.i had to fix this problem last time too and again this time.but unluckily i lost all the resources/tutorials that i had stored on my home pc.so,even i need help.

the desktop shows limited or no connection error.whats that?last time i figured i didnt have a crossover cable,i had just a regular lan cable and thats what was causing the problem.but now i have gotten a crossover cable and the problem still persists.
i found out this limited or no connectivity error in sp2 can be fixed by a patch.can i upload it as an attachment here?

if you have some fussion abt wiring the cable, have a look on this
*img396.imageshack.us/img396/4865/rj457dp.th.gif

geekysage

Journeyman
Some real noobies here :lol:

Anyway, lots of guides are already available on the internet inlcuding some at thinkdigit as well. Here's what i found after a quick search. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15577&highlight=lan

Let me know if you still need help.

yash

I draw every day
if u ahvent read it, this is what i need help with
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=279236#279236

geekysage

Journeyman
I posted the link for the OP - drharrypotter...and you too admitted to having the same problem, rite?
yash said:
this is a real problem.even i have the same problem
Anyway, i have also replied to your other topic.

OP
D

drharrypotter

I am able to share the internet connection and access the net on both the computers, but my problem of not being able to share the folders still persists.

theraven

Technomancer
did u try manually assignin the ip to the laptop ?
dude there are 2 ppl with the same problem
u gotta help us out by tellin us what u tried and what u didnt so we can help
did u enable file sharing ?

geekysage

Journeyman
You know what, guys, you don't have to assign any ip addresses or use any 3rd party software for sharing internet. I don't have access to a windows xp machine but I'll post step-by-step screenshots later today when i get back home.

Here's what i want you people to try:

Forget about whatever settings you have so far, we are gonna run the network setup wizard which will take care of everything, alrite here we go,

On the Server (i.e. the computer which is connected to the internet)
  • Open Network Connections
  • Right Click on the Ethernet port which is connected to your LAN and open its Properties
  • Go to the sharing tab
  • Click on the network setup wizard link at the bottom of the window
  • It'll ask you if this computer is directly connected to the internet and whether you'd wanna share the connection over the LAN and make this computer the internet gateway (...or server :roll: ), say yes (yeah, that means, select the appropriate buttons)
  • When it asks you about workgroup, just leave it to the default (MSHOME) or give it whatever name you want, keep in mind though that there's some restriction on using symbols and that the workgroup name on both the server and the client (read below) should be same
  • Follow the steps and when it comes to selecting the shared internet connection, select the dial-up if you use dial-up or the other ethernet port connected to your dsl modem if you have broadband
  • It'll also ask you about enabling file and printer sharing, select both of them
  • Complete the steps and select "Just finish the wizard" (or some like that) at the final step
On the Client (i.e. the computer which is a part of the LAN and will share the internet connection with the server)
  • Open Network Connections
  • Right Click on the Ethernet port which is connected to your LAN and open its Properties
  • Go to the sharing tab
  • Click on the network setup wizard link at the bottom of the window
  • It'll tell you that an internet gateway has been detected on the LAN and ask you if you'd wanna use it, say yes
  • When it asks you about workgroup, just leave it to the default (MSHOME) or give it whatever name you want, keep in mind though that there's some restriction on using symbols and that the workgroup name on both the server (read above) and the client should be same
  • Enable file and printer sharing
  • Again, click on "Just finish the wizard" (or some like that) at the final step
Don't forget to enable sharing on the hard disks you wanna access on the network. You can do so by following this:
  • Open My Computer
  • Right Click on a hard disk and click on "Sharing and Security..."
  • Click on "If you understand the risk....click here"
  • Under "Network Sharing and Security" (bottom portion) click on "Share this folder on the network"; Leave the shared name to whatever it says, or change it to whatever will make it easy for you to recognize the hdd/partition
  • Also click on "Allow network users to change my files"
  • Click OK
  • Now you should see a palm icon overlaying the hdd icon in the My Computer window, it signifies that the hdd/partition is shared over the LAN
Do this on both - the server and the client.

I understand this may sound kinda vague and i am sorry about that but it's been a while since the last time i went through the wizard. Anyway, I think the wizard is self-explanatory so you should be fine if you read what it is asking and select the right connections. I think if we use a little common sense and intuition, we would be alrite with any kinda computing environment or problem.

Remember, we are not setting up any IP address, default gateway, or using any 3rd party proxy servers. Windows inbuilt internet sharing (ICS) takes care of everything. And yes, the network setup wizard is automatically settting up the ICS for you in the background. This way, you don't even have to change any IE settings either. After running the wizard on the server and the client(s), you just open the browser on a client machine and start browsing. :)

As i said, I'll post a step-by-step guide with screenshots as soon as i get back home this evening. Let me know if this helps you get things working right.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom