Problem concerning PSU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gannu_rox

In the zone
Guys,

I thank all of u out htere who'd helped me. But I do need ur help once again.

Most of you have suggested that the 400W Powersafe psu wont match for the 3500+ and 7900GT combo. Fine.

1.But does that really imply I would be unable to run the rig fine on that power?
2.So far I havn't connected my system coz I'm away from my home(Kerala) where my monitor is.( I'm in Amritsar.)
While assembling the gfx card, I found that it came with a power connecter, that requires it to be connected to two 12v molex connectors( one that goes into cd drives).

But my psu has been spared with only one 12v molex connector. However there is a 4pin small white connector that is parallelely derived from another 12v molex connector. I havn't connected a floppy drive either. Can I use this small connector to be used with the other 12v molex connector of the gfx card?

Or can I use one 12v molex connector to distribute it to the 2 12v molex connectors of the gfx card by connecting it parallel.

Please do reply,
Ganesh

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Not recommended ... if ur card has two molex .. then u should u a ycable for the card , with two diff. power lines ....

Also chep companies like powersafe may rate their psu quite high , but those are actually not even upto the mark ... what matters more is the amperage of the psu .. for ur setup u should have atleast 25A across 12V ...

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
How many 7900GTs do you have ? If its only 1 then I guess 400W PSU would be fine. Just barely so. I strongly suggest you replace it by 450W PSU. In case you are not using FDD, you can use the molex connector to connect GFX, but before doing that it would be better to check the current rating of that connector ie 12A or not. Check out nVidia SLizone for more details. Check out Mad Mod Mike section and you'll find the answers

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
How many 7900GTs do you have ? If its only 1 then I guess 400W PSU would be fine. Just barely so. I strongly suggest you replace it by 450W PSU. In case you are not using FDD, you can use the molex connector to connect GFX,

Is wattage the only thing that matters in a psu ??

And the fdd connector maybe a 4 pin one .. but it can't be used for any other components ...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
If you just want to use one molex to supply power to two sockets, just buy a simple Y shaped splitter.

But I stongly advocate you buy a better PSU.

BTW where in Kerala are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom