mpaliath

Right off the assembly line
This is a real disaster. Just listen to this:

I bought a new computer 3 months ago with the following configuration

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz H.T.
Intel 865GVHZ MOBO(without lan card)
512 MB DDR400
80 GB Samsung SATA hard disk
Adwick Lan card(Realtek 8139/810X Chipset)
16X Sony DVD Rom Drive
Samsung 17" monitor(773S)
Creative 2.1 Inspire
APC 500VA UPS

Good Config??

The problems are many
1. The system takes too long to boot into XP, 50 seconds till the login screen whereas on 2.4Ghz PC it takes less than 30 secs. It also takes a long time to shutdown(much slower than hibernation). This was so from the moment XP was installed on the clean new hard disk.
2. It takes a long time to go into folders that have large sizes in XP and some times it takes a long time to just display the right click menu in Windows Explorer!
3. Windows 98 does not show the last screen of shutdown screen. I have to reboot or shutdown manually(and yes all the logo*.sys files are present and have the default images)
4. When copying large files over the lan the lan connection suddenly gets disconnected. If I remove the wire and then connect it works again but for a little time only. After doing this 3-4 times there is no effect if I just disconnect and then plug it. I have to reboot the system to fix it now. This does not happen if I am using DC++( a file sharing utility)
5. When downloading from the lan(with or without DC++) or copying files from DVD drive, any sound file I play(mp3, wav, dat...) on any player(Winamp, WMPlayer, Power DVD) is jerky with lots of 'interference'. This does not occur when downloading from the net.
6. It takes a long time just to copy from one partition to another
7. My network card is not recognised In windows98 or mandrake

My dealer said that the problem was due to incompatibility of Samsung SATA disk with the MOBO but there is no references to such on either samsungs or Intels site!! I searched all over the net on google, yahoo, altavista with no use!! The funny thing is that all my friends at college having the HT compatible MOBO and SATA have the same problem!!

I know this is a really big post and lots of problem. I've asked several people and they all know nothing about this so please help!!!

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
im going to post the most obvious 1st reply ...

run HijackThis
and post the result here ..
may be we can help ..

also try checking for Adwares or Spywares using Ad-Aware or Spybot

-----
alibi

theraven

Technomancer
My dealer said that the problem was due to incompatibility of Samsung SATA disk with the MOBO
biggest hunk of cr@p ive heard

as for ur shutdown screen
i think its a problem with our new hardware ... jsut doesnt wait
cuz it shuts down .. doesnt give the last shutdown screen
thats not a fault anywhere the fact that ur using the new ATX standard is the only problem
the last screen, in, short is not supported anymore

ur lan ... its baffling ..
i hope ur using a stable version of win98 tho (SE) with updates
try installin the unofficial service pack for win 98
still dunno why ur using win 98 tho :p
but to each his own

the slowing down of ur computer
man there are so omany factors yaar
search the forum ull get lots of them
one is that u might be infecfted
the other is ur disk is fragmented. .. so run disk defragmenter
also use windows xp tweaks.... again ull get the links in the forum if u search
u just need to take care of ur baby thats all ;)
use reg cleaning software /system software like system mechanic
also get cr@p cleaner .. nifty lil proggy .. tho not a reg cleaner

i dunno how else i can help
im done :p

rakesh_1024

Journeyman
hmm Run hijackthis and post itz log here
At present....

1. The system takes too long to boot into XP, 50 seconds till the login screen whereas on 2.4Ghz PC it takes less than 30 secs. It also takes a long time to shutdown(much slower than hibernation). This was so from the moment XP was installed on the clean new hard disk.

Heat can slow down ur Pc(Some of the guys donot agree but this waz the case wit some of the guys).
Maybe itz not assembled properly.
Check the PC temperature usin Intel Active Monitor.
Also convert the file system into NTFS and defrag ur drive.

2. It takes a long time to go into folders that have large sizes in XP and some times it takes a long time to just display the right click menu in Windows Explorer!

Whtz the Brand of ur RAM?
Never go with the cheap quality ones availale in the local market.
If any of ur friends hav the RAM of the same specification, try swappin.

:D

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Hey this might be becoz of a virus too. I have seen many ppl getting their pcs pre-installed with os and all + virus too !!!
How ridiculous it might sound but it is true. Scan ur system with a good antivirus.

OP
M

mpaliath

as for ur shutdown screen
i think its a problem with our new hardware ... jsut doesnt wait
cuz it shuts down .. doesnt give the last shutdown screen

The system doesn not shut down! The cursor blinks on the monitor! I have to press the power off switch to turn it off!!!

Scan ur system with a good antivirus.

I've scanned my system with norton anti virus 2004, avg, avast, panda(both from hard disk and online), and pccillin and online scan at trend with the latest updates as on nov 2004! No virus on my system!!!!!!!

Whtz the Brand of ur RAM?

I think its a local brand. but my friends having the same brand but on 2.4Ghz(845GVSR) systems bought along with mine have no problems whatsoever!!!!

Check the PC temperature usin Intel Active Monitor.

I run intels active monitor in the background always and it should beep if the temperature is too high!Initially I disabled HT and this caused rise in temperatures in XP but then I enabled HT and I havent heard a sound from Active monitors! Even when running 2 games simultaneously the indicator is still in the green region!!

the other is ur disk is fragmented. .. so run disk defragmenter

I run Diskeeper Lite every 20 days. So there is no question of fragmentation! Besides the problems were there from day 1.

also try checking for Adwares or Spywares using Ad-Aware or Spybot

I update and run them alternately ever day!!!!

About the HijackThis. I'm having vacations right now so I dont have the computer with me now! I ran it before coming here and I did'nt see anything unusual anywhere. Anyway I'll post it as soon as I get back(25th december)

Please keep in mind that this is not an isolated case. Every guy I know in college having SATA and HT have the same problems! But PATA & HT have no problems at all!!!

Like I said 'Problem Of The DECADE'. Please help!!!

Sourabh

Laptoping
HARDWARE PROBLEM ALL THE WAY

try swapping on component at a time
mebbe ull find the culprit for the "PROBLEM OF TEH DECADE"

swap the processor first :(

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Open ur cabinet n check if the powersupply n cpu fans are woking.
Are you sure its not an overheating problem?
What are the specks of your ram.
I think the only solution left is the trail and error method.
Firstly unmount your heat sink and apply a thin layer of thermal paste
between the chip n heat sink.Leave your cabinet open for testing for proper ventilation for some period.N test if the problem still persists.
Try installing your ram module on a friends machine and check for stability and conflicts.
Check yor motherboards manual for jumper and dip switches configuration.
Finally disassemble your machine and assemble it again.
Maybe ur problem ll be solved.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
The system doesn not shut down! The cursor blinks on the monitor! I have to press the power off switch to turn it off!!!

It's a normal thing... I get the same problem too
As told be theraven ...
Your cabinet has a newer ATX system which is not compatible with Windows 9x/ME...

OP
M

mpaliath

Are you sure its not an overheating problem?

Well the Intel Active monitor shows no problem and I checked the software, it works!!!

try replacing the hard disk
also try on 7200 rpm pata disk

I did that and then everything works fast. No problems at all!!!

NikhilVerma

Padawan
mpaliath said:
I did that and then everything works fast. No problems at all!!!

Then U should exchange your HDD with someone .. like your dealer itself... or perhaps sell it to someone else....

ironcross77

Broken In
If all the above advices did not solve your problem let me ask you a question.Are you using norton antivirus 2004 or later.

I think norton is your problen. Few months ago i had exactly the same problem.

Uninstalling norton will not be a solution. you have to format your hard disk and make a fresh install. only this time do not install norton. Instead use Avast free antivir. it is not resource hungry and also has a good virus detection rate.

If ypu still want to stick to norton then i recommend you disable system restore on all drives or atleast on the partition where norton is installed.

I hope this solves your problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom